Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Visa Choices Primer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My CC signup bonus predates Choices. So to verify what you are saying, the 20 to 25,000 sign-up MP Visa bonus -- eiter Choices Points??

If so, that's a pretty good bennie.
Yes, the sign up bonus gives you Choices Points.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
So the Gold card gives miles for balance transfers, but the Platinum card doesn't?
From the Platinum Card sign-up site
"Miles are earned on net purchases only. Miles are not earned on balance transfers, cash advances, any checks that access your account, or fees, including fees for products that protect or insure the balance of the cardmember's account. "

It is odd, different demographic targeting???
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes, the sign up bonus gives you Choices Points.

Added, thanks
The collective knowledge of the FT community works again
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:20 pm
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Originally Posted by aku
I did use Choice points for EQMs last year: I had 124k EQMs, and cashing in 10k Choice points earned me 5k EQMs for this year and a couple of other benefits that made it worth the cost.
Since you only needed 1,000 miles, a cheap SFO-LAX would have been around $100.
I had a flight to DEN canceled by the Christmas storm and ended up a few hundred miles shy of 125k. No cheap tickets were available that week on such short notice. . . . so WineCountryUA was right: I was desparate.

As for the other comments: Point well taken. I've updated my post.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Potential vs. available CHOICES

Nice primer. I have one qualification though:

Yes, your CHOICES cannot exceed your RDMs. So, if your choices and RDM balances are similar, you might think that redeeming non-choice RDMs would wipe out CHOICES as well. But that is true only a limited sense. Redeeming non-choice RDMs temporarily reduces "available" CHOICES but does not reduce "potential" CHOICES.

Example: You have 25k RDM and 20k Choices. You use 25k miles for a domestic award ticket, bringing both balances to zero. Then you earn 10k RDM on a trip. You should now find that 10k CHOICES have been magically restored (even without any new credit card purchases). Your CHOICES will continue to rise back up to the initial 20k "potential", assuming you've not using them up directly.

At least, that's what happened to me. Has anyone had the opposite experience (CHOICES permanently wiped out)?

I defy anyone to get a Chase or United agent to understand this question, let alone answer it correctly.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

BigE, interesting observation and I could see how it would be this way

Available Choice Points = MINUMUM ( RDMs, Choice Points net bank/total ).

this would say the Choice Points are capped by your RDMs but the excess is not erased but temporarily unavailable and is banked.

I have not seen anything in the T&Cs about this and this is the first I have heard this reported.

Interested in hearing additional feedback on others' experience.
Can we "document" this as how the program works?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BigE
Nice primer. I have one qualification though:

Example: You have 25k RDM and 20k Choices. You use 25k miles for a domestic award ticket, bringing both balances to zero. Then you earn 10k RDM on a trip. You should now find that 10k CHOICES have been magically restored (even without any new credit card purchases). Your CHOICES will continue to rise back up to the initial 20k "potential", assuming you've not using them up directly.
Good info, I've never gotten my RDM bonus below my Choices balance before.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Althought the T&Cs for the Choices program required tickets to be puchsed on united.com to redeem Choice Points, there seems to some other appraoches allowed.

To redeem, purchase any airline ticket on united.com with your Mileage Plus credit card. Flights purchased through any other source, such as United General Reservations, United Vacations, travel agencies or other travel websites, are not eligible.

example: Recently purchased a pair of tickets using a MP VISA Zone Fare Companion coupon. That had to be done on the phone and I had no trouble redeeming Choice Points.

Ticket purchase was not labeled on the MP Visa Chase card as
UNITED AIR 016xxxxxxxxxx ROSEMONT IL
but instead was
UNITED AIR 016xxxxxxxxxx E-TKT MI

Have folks found any other exceptions?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
BigE, interesting observation and I could see how it would be this way

Available Choice Points = MINUMUM ( RDMs, Choice Points net bank/total ).

this would say the Choice Points are capped by your RDMs but the excess is not erased but temporarily unavailable and is banked.

Interested in hearing additional feedback on others' experience.
Can we "document" this as how the program works?
No documentation, but I have never redeemed Choice Points, and for the last few months my Choices balance has always been equal to my RDM balance, bouncing up and down as I accrue miles through flying and through Chase, and redeem them for upgrades. This would support the "bank" hypothesis.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hope this doesn't sound to stupid, I can take my Choice Points (current balance (71k) and credit my credit card $710 since I purchased a $1400 ticket last month from IAD - BER. In other words, this is just a way for me to cut my cc balance down by $710.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlwalt
Hope this doesn't sound to stupid, I can take my Choice Points (current balance (71k) and credit my credit card $710 since I purchased a $1400 ticket last month from IAD - BER. In other words, this is just a way for me to cut my cc balance down by $710.
Yes, if the ticket meets the requirements (purchased on united.com, with MP Visa, with in the last 90 days, ...) and remembering you will lose the 71K Choice Points and RDMs.

The Choices redemption is essentially a general credit to the CC account and a partial redemption (say $710 on a $1,400 ticket) is allowed.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Using choices for E-fare ticket

Thought I saw something about this previously, but couldn't find it...

If you purchase an e-fare ticket on united.com, can you use Chase choices to get a credit for the purchase amount?

The scenario:

E-fares IAD-SFO for $305.
Purchase on united.com.
Use e-500 or CR-1 upgrades.
Use 30,500 choices for $305 credit to chase account.

Anyone see any problem with this?

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Modern 49er
If you purchase an e-fare ticket on united.com, can you use Chase choices to get a credit for the purchase amount?
Yes. Chase only sees a United ticket purchase - they have no idea what fare you paid for, nor do they care.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Modern 49er
Thought I saw something about this previously, but couldn't find it...

The scenario:

E-fares IAD-SFO for $305.
Purchase on united.com.
Use e-500 or CR-1 upgrades.
Use 30,500 choices for $305 credit to chase account.

Anyone see any problem with this?

Thanks.
No problem with e-tickets. a ticket purchased on united.com is the only requirement as mahasamatman stated.

Also the Choices credit can be any amount up to the ticket fare. So, if you only had (or only wanted to use) 28,000 Choice Points, you could get $280 credit on on the $305 ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Choices, Choices, Decisions, Decisions

Sorry, but this program is making me feel a bit more dimwitted than usual. I am trying to figure out just how valuable this Chase Choices program is for an international ticket. I am sure the FT mavens can explain it in a way for the kid who has to take the special bus.

Let's say I want to travel to Narita or Beijing in Business and I have not recently robbed a bank or married up, so I can't afford to buy a busines seat. As I understand it, my options are to:

1. Fork over the money for an upgradeable fare of, let's say $1,500 and apply a SWU and hope I clear because you KNOW that there won't be a confirmed seat available before Flag Day;
2. Hand over 200,000 miles from my Mileage Plus account for a standard award ticket, pay a modest ticketing fee and confirm everything pretty much right away; or
3. Buy the $1,500 ticket with my Chase United card, call Chase and use up 150,000 Choice points and 150,000 Mileage Plus miles. I can also apply a SWU to that fare and hope for the best as in option 1 above.

The advantage I can see here to Option 3 over Option 2 is that I can save 50,000 miles from my Mileage Plus account and I will earn RDM and EQM on the flight, which may help me hit some milestone. The risk is that the SWU does not clear and I'm in E+ for a 14 hour flight focusing my envy ray on the cabin ahead of me for the whole time.

The advantage of Option 3 to Option 1 is that I get the ticket without any cash outlay, but I have been dinged for 150,000 United Mileage Plus RDM, 150,000 Chase Choice Points, and, as mentioned, remain cheerfully optimistic that my SWU clears.

The sure thing would be Option 2 and another 50,000 miles from my account, but then I won't earn EQM or RDM.

Is that pretty much right?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.