Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ever ask purser to turn down the heat in intl F cabin?

Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I hate warm cabins - and I hate trying to sleep in a hot F. The intl F blankets don't help matters they are just to thick. Have you ever asked the purser to turn down the temp in the F cabin?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
yes, on many carriers and also in C
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I do this ALL the time on Lufthansa flights and they just claim it's broken. They seem to think that it makes people drowsy and they fall asleep. UGH!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Yes, I have. Often. Truthfully, I think UA keeps it pretty cool. LH and AA, on the other hand, really try to roast their pax. I don't get it. The lack of personal air vents on LH doesn't help either...

I would NEVER hesitate to ask. I think people that ask for the cabin to be warmed up are very selfish. They can always put on more clothes or another blanket. If you're way too hot in only a tee-shirt, there's nothing else you can do...
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Yes, I have. Often. Truthfully, I think UA keeps it pretty cool. LH and AA, on the other hand, really try to roast their pax. I don't get it. The lack of personal air vents on LH doesn't help either...

I would NEVER hesitate to ask. I think people that ask for the cabin to be warmed up are very selfish. They can always put on more clothes or another blanket. If you're way too hot in only a tee-shirt, there's nothing else you can do...
Thanks. I never thought of it that way. I have been hesitant because I thought other pax might want it that way. I am definitely going to ask next time.

Also I have noticed that the plane is the right temp when there is a male purser vs a female purser. I think females are more sensitive to the coldm
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Thanks. I never thought of it that way. I have been hesitant because I thought other pax might want it that way. I am definitely going to ask next time.

Also I have noticed that the plane is the right temp when there is a male purser vs a female purser. I think females are more sensitive to the coldm
Agree.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:50 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Too Cold = Put on a blanky.
Too Hot = Can't do squat.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I've asked 3 times before on one flight in particular... twice to the same FA who did nothing, and then I decided to ask others - fortunately the 3rd time was a charm. The FA turned down the heat (when she saw the temperature even she said it was too high), and she put a note on the screen to tell other FA's not to turn the heat up since a pax in F requested it be kept cool. ^
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:34 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Truthfully, I think UA keeps it pretty cool. LH and AA, on the other hand, really try to roast their pax.(
UA is an ice box comapred to Air France.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:57 am

AMEN. And the main reason I try desperately to avoid equipment & carriers with no personal air vents. (Why some carriers still order new planes like that is beyond me.)

I also agree that UA in general isn't too bad in this regard. I can recall several miserable longhaul BA flights where the temp was sauna-like and there were no air vents to be found.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Nov 24, 2007 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, the control on UA's 744s is on the wall in front of 22GH. I've given instructions to FAs more than a few times to drop the heat down.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:10 am

(
I'm with you on this. With a vent, you can deal with some of the heat, but my LH flights always seem hot.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
If you're way too hot in only a tee-shirt, there's nothing else you can do...
There is something you can do, but nudity is frowned upon in mixed company

Seriously, on HKG-LAX recently, during the first meal service I noticed that it had become quite warm. The (upper deck) flight attendant noticed, too and went to check the temperature setting. "It was on 85 degrees!" she said when she returned a minute later. The cabin soon cooled off and stayed that way for the rest of the flight.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:42 am

Location: The opinions expressed are mine and not those of UA corp or its affiliates
Programs: St. Olaf College Alumni, Bullmastiff rescue
Please ask

Yes, Please ask. Working crew are warm because, well ... they are working and may not feel cold. Also, warm or cold depends on body fat and age. Ever notice it is usually those who are overweight that want the cabin cold and those who are thin want it warmer? And for those of us who have our own "personal summer", we ask others how they feel because we don't know!

Last edited by pharmstew; Nov 24, 2007 at 10:55 am
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I hate it when it's too hot; makes sleeping difficult. Since the plane starts cooling off when it's time for brkfst I've always assumed they did it deliberately, thinking that the heat would make people sleepy. I've asked the FAs a few times (when in F & C) to adjust the temp, but am told by them that it's 'fine'.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.