Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Buddy Pass Flyer Newbie here.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

United Buddy Pass Flyer Newbie here.

I'm new to this whole flying standby thing and I know there are some benefits as well as some downfalls. Having been someone who usually reserves seats, I couldn't pass up the savings my friend could get me with a buddy pass.

Being new to the whole standby thing, can someone give me some tips? I know not to bother the gate attendant and be courteous as well as dress appropriately. But is there anything else I should know? How early should I be., etc.? I'm planning on an SFO-SYD flight in November.

Also, in the event I have to check in luggage for a standby flight, how does that work?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You are asking about travelling non-rev on a buddy pass, that is different from the regular stand by discussion you will see on these boards. There are UA employees who post on this thread, maybe one of them can help you.

I will tell you that if you can check loads on the flights you want beforehand, you'll have a better day that you do want to get to the airport early so you have the chance for multiple flights, just in case and that (sorry) you're on the bottom of the standby list for a seat.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
themixwizard, I noticed you already opened a thread about buddy pass travel to SYD here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731787

and this thread about buddy pass priority

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739611

Let's use those threads for any follow-up questions you may have.

Thank you,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Milage Plus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.