United Airlines Armrests - Flush with Seat?

Subscribe
Folks:

I am a new user to this forum and also a customer of size. In October, I will be flying United Airlines from Edmonton, AB to Orlando, FL via Denver and back. I have purchased two seats for the trip as to have as much comfort as possible.

Notwithstanding, I have a question about the armrests in the United aircrafts. According to my intinerary, I will be flying on a Canadair CRJ-700 (CR7) and an Airbus 320 (32S), as far as I can tell from reviewing seatguru.com. Do the armrests in these aircraft move up to become flush with the back of the seat or do they stick out?

The reason I ask is that I just flew twice with Westjet Airlines to/from Edmonton to Toronto. On 3 of the 4 flights, I had an armrest that protruded out several inches into my side/back. Needless to say, this was most uncomfortable at take-off, but was a source of constant discomfort for the duration of the flight.

Any information or advice on this topic would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
-- Xcalibur2572
Xcalibur2572, welcome to FT! As your Q. is about United mainline/Express a/c, let me move it to our United Airlines forum for the best answers. Also, the specific seat assignment you have may well drive the answer. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator TBuzz and United Mileage Plus.
Quote: Folks:
Notwithstanding, I have a question about the armrests in the United aircrafts. According to my intinerary, I will be flying on a Canadair CRJ-700 (CR7) and an Airbus 320 (32S), as far as I can tell from reviewing seatguru.com. Do the armrests in these aircraft move up to become flush with the back of the seat or do they stick out?
Speaking strictly for the A320 as a fellow fat person, I can tell you that the armrests do go up and flush so long as you're not in an exit row. (Those seats are narrower too). Depending on how big you are, the space between the seats might be slightly uncomfortable as the seats are slightly bolstered on either side (again, slightly).

Have a good flight!
I didn't think they stayed flush.. they do stick out on the 777 for sure... and I think they do on the 757 too
Also, seats located on the bulkhead rows will have non-moveable armrests, as the tray table slides into them.
what has been said about the mainline ua seats and armrests is correct. on the crj's, it is the y-bulkead and f seats that have the tray tables in the non-moving armrests and i have found that it's hit an miss on raising the aisle armrests tho most middle armrests should raise. for the aisle armrests, feel the underside of the armrest near the back where it meets the seat frame for a small lever and push it down/pull it up to release the armrest.
I have always found the 747 armrests to be quite annoying. On the few occasions where I've gotten a block of 3 and try to sleep, the big circular protrusion at the joint/pivot point sticks into your back like one of those public bench anti-homeless features. I found that sleeping facing them was the only way to make it possible.
ON 747 and a few others including airbus, In my experiences, the arm rests are not entirely flush. Also the tray table from the seat in front of you may not lay flat when engaged if your belly gets in the way. I just make it if the person in front is not reclined at service time. You would be more comfortable in Business if you have any chance of going that route. I am short and have a big belly - don't need 2 seats - carry weight in my tummy - and economy is a pain on long hauls (trans pac). I swear I think the DR. left one baby in there when I had my C sections lol. I really hope to have the belly problem eliminated by the time we do trans pac in Dec - one way or another. I also sleep facing the seat when we have gotten a block of 3 - but face it - nothing in E is comfortable transpac no matter what your size.
Quote: Also, seats located on the bulkhead rows will have non-moveable armrests, as the tray table slides into them.
And that would be row 6 on a non-Ted Airbus.
Welcome to FT, and I'd like to add a thank you for buying 2 seats. Nothing irks me more than someone in the next seat spilling over in to the area I am renting for the duration of the flight. AFAIK, Southwest is the only airline that strictly enforces the policy of "If you can't fit between the armrests you have to buy another seat" policy. ^
I'm trying to advise a neighbor who is a person of size about buying two adjacent seats, and wanted to verify the rather old information here. He has no status so would be sitting in E-. Route is SFO-ORD, so equipment would be an Airbus, 757, or possibly domestic 767. Is it correct that in E- (therefore not bulkhead, not exit row), all armrests do fold up more or less flush, so we would have twice the seat width available?