Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Status Match [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Status Match [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (United 1P, CO Gold) Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Anything like AA Challenge

Hey All,

I've been traveling more and more the past year or two, and ive slowly started to see the error of my ways in not remaining with one airline.

Ive come to the consensus that United works the best for me (followed very closely by AA)

Planning my year out, it looks as though i will come close to 30,000 miles flown this year (I know this sum is peanuts for most of you here) but I was wondering if United does any sort of "challenges" like AA does with the Gold/Plat Challenge?

thanks
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
United

Typically offers challenges whereby you have to fly a certain number of miles in 90 days to maintain the status. Unlike AA, they offer the status up front, so you start off as an elite. They'll generally only offer challenges up to Premier Executive.

Email, fax, or mail a copy of your current elite statement or elite card to:

Quote:
Mileage Plus Service Center
Attention: Premier Status Match
P.O. Box 28870
Tucson, AZ 85726
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 605-341-6140

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (United 1P, CO Gold) Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
I currently dont have status on any airline, so there wouldnt be anything to match. I have many miles in many different airlines, but I'm finally choosing to stick with United.

Would they still offer a challenge?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I have a friend who was 2P last year and missed 1P by 20k miles due to 2 canceld intl trips (economy). I told him to contact UA with a economy sob story and ask if they would give him a challenge since he has 2 us-asia trips in 1Q and would likely beat any challenge ammount they would give him for 1P or 2P. They denied his request. This is just one data point and the worst thing they can do if you ask is say no.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:20 am

Smile Just got CO Platinum match

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Welcome to FT!

Starting Jan 12th you will not need to buy an M or H fare in order to upgrade with miles either. You can upgrade any fare but there is also a copay of between $250 and $500 each way for trips to Asia and Europe.

Systemwide upgrades (SWUs) that are earned by 1K's (6 per year, plus 2 more for each 50,000 EQM's earned after 100,000) are good on W fares and higher.

United typically will not status match you to 1K, but as a PM they will probably give you Premier Executive (1P, gold level) and you'll have to earn 1K by flying. 1P's do not earn SWU's so your first several trips will probably not be upgradeable unless you have enough miles to support mileage upgrades. But you'd be good to go in 2011 with your systemwides.

Hi, Guys:

Thank you for all the advice, and tips to fly United.

I just got CO platinum match. Now the question to me is whether I should get UA match, as you said they only give out 1P (I called them a few times, was told they will start on Feb 2, 2010).

I don't mind 1P either.

I would like to think a few things (you guys are experts, please comment):

1) It seems to me UA and CO have a similar upgrade system (UA give out 6 SWU, while CO has 4, once I pass 100K). And the mileage upgrade is the same amount of miles, together with similar copay. But the question is which system is easier to get upgrade for international travel?

2) As I read the board (Flyertalk), it seems to me CO gives fewer domestic upgrade, due to they like to sell FC for any amount of money to anyone, who want to pay for? Therefore, it is hard for Platinum elite to get a free upgrade for domestic flight?

3) Since I like to stay for a long haul (like what I did for NWA from 2003), I would like to know which system is better for the elites (UA vs. CO), such as credit card (I want to have one with the airline, I have a Delta Reserve now, will cancel it soon), lounge (club) membership (I renewed a NWA for 3 years last year, but I will be a Diamond elite, so I don't need it anymore), and million mileage award?

4) I probably can not spend 50K per year to get GS with UA, but 30K probably is doable to qualify CO's new Presidencial Elite, but not sure yet (since large amount will be on my own money), I also live in NJ, so EWR is the closest airport to me.

I am thinking whether CO is a better choice to me?

Please feel free to comment, and appreciate your thoughts.

I will make 3-4 trips per year to Asia, and a couple to EU, plus some domestic trips, I am pretty sure I will make at least 100K miles per year.

Best,

Charles
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They do not. Challenges are based on united/ux BIS miles only. Not CC, no *A, ...
Does anyone know if challenge miles are earned for class-of-service bonuses? Specifically paid C-class to Europe?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Does anyone know if challenge miles are earned for class-of-service bonuses? Specifically paid C-class to Europe?
In all the challenges where the info was posted on FT, the challenge was for BIS miles only., CoS bonuses can be earned but do not count toward the challenge requirement.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
2010 Status Match

Does anybody know if there is a PDF form for 2010, or should I just email United Match. I want to request 2P, as I have a lot of travel to a UA destination that AA does not serve well. I am Plat for Life on AA as well as made Plat last year on AA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:05 am

No response from [email protected]

I've sent 2 emails this week (Mon & Wed in early AM) but no response. This seems distinctly different than the response time others have experienced. I really need to book some upcoming travel but would like to know if a challenge is even possible and what the terms are.

Is it b/c I'm a US elite now? Are they swamped with status issues this time of year? Perhaps it's the thousands of former US FF's banging on the UA door asking to join?

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: PC Plat, US Plat, CP Diamond, DL Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, UA PE
I sent one earlier this year after deciding I fly UA too much to put my miles on US, and got an email back stating that since they were in the process of taking care of last years elites, to resubmit after Feb 2, 2010. I sent another email yesterday and have not heard back, so I would just give them time, I am sure they are busy getting the new year started.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
status match, question on my 90s days and what counts as flown

So i got the status match from UA based on my delta status. They have given me 90 days to fly 15k miles on united metal to keep my status through the end of 2011, otherwise it expires in may 2010. They only matched me to executive premier despite my delta plat status (and soon to be diamond).

My simple question is, must i credit my miles to the UA FF program in order for them to "count" the flight, or is it enough that i just fly on the plane? because i've got top tier status with continental and would prefer to credit the miles to continental to work toward requalifying with them for 2011-12.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:59 am

I believe this would be measured by EQMs, and as a result would mean miles would have to post to your UA MP account.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:09 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jenniparks
So i got the status match from UA based on my delta status. They have given me 90 days to fly 15k miles on united metal to keep my status through the end of 2011, otherwise it expires in may 2010. They only matched me to executive premier despite my delta plat status (and soon to be diamond).

My simple question is, must i credit my miles to the UA FF program in order for them to "count" the flight, or is it enough that i just fly on the plane? because i've got top tier status with continental and would prefer to credit the miles to continental to work toward requalifying with them for 2011-12.
1) Only matching to 1P is normal. UA will not status match to 1K; they used to not even allow promos other than DEQM to count toward 1K. I believe they have allowed paid challenges of various sorts to reach 1K the past few years.

2) Yes, you must credit yoru miles to UA.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:29 am

Update (are they watching us?)

Well I just checked my email and at 10:50 AM EST [email protected] sent me an email congratulating me on PE status for 90 days with the typical 15K BIS miles or 20 segment challenge.

Probably a coincidence that it came only 45 min after I posted my question on FlyerTalk...but it does make you wonder who is watching. If I was UA I'd keep an eye on the FT boards too.

Regardless, I'm happy it came through. Thanks NC (if you're watching).
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
thanks, and a couple more questions

ok thanks. now i REALLY need to sit down and decide whether i want to requal for elite on continental or united.

quick question that i don't see answered anywhere. if i am on a united ticketed, united operated plane and i present my star alliance gold membership (from being a continental plat) do i get free checked bag? i read through all the star alliance gold benefits and while it mentions you get an extra bag and priority tagging it doesnt say explicitly that your checked baggage is free.

and how about the other way around- free bag on a continental ticketed and operated flight if using united FF program credentials?

finally, where on the united website after logging in can i change/update the FF# associated with a displayed reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.