Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access in Rome [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by xman712
Also, there is no lounge access for *G's - I was amazed that, as a 1K, UA doesn't provide any type of lounge access. I asked at both check-in and the gate and both agents said only C or F gets access.
This is not right at all. If you're on UA metal, you are bussed from T5 to terminal C where there is the Le Anfore lounge available to all *G pax. If you are on LH metal in order to connect to UA in FRA or MUC, you depart FCO from the B Terminal. The LH lounge invitation (B Terminal - Mosaic Lounge) also has a Eur 10 gift certificate on the back of it for a coffee bar next to gate B9.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold
Maybe it's a new policy? My flight was 11 Sep. I thought it seemed ridiculous, but both the check-in agent and both GA's said this was the policy and refused to give me a lounge invite.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:15 am

All I can say is I've certainly been in there subsequent to your flight and just by virtue of a *G card. Lounge pass just handed to me at check-in.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
At FCO yesterday, was handed a pass to the Le Anfore lounge outside gate 30 in terminal C.

I was on a Y ticket, but am 1P. I didn't even have to ask the check-in agent about lounge access, he handed the pass to me with our boarding passes.

Yes, Le Anfore was loud but I think a few decibels less than the general airport. They will make you espresso drinks and had some croissants, cookies, and sandwiches. (Alas, the croissants were nothing like the freshly-baked ones we enjoyed every morning at our hotel in Sicily.) The sandwiches were crustless, wonder bread-looking like things with what may have been tuna and salmon. The cookies were mass produced.

Check-in at FCO was indeed a zoo on the Delta side. At United, the line for Y was short (25 people, tops) and we had no one in front of us when we walked into the 1P lane.

We went through the security theatre at T5, then were bussed to Terminal C. Waiting for the bus and being driven to TC took longer than checking in, and longer than going through the security checkpoint.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:39 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Sorry to resurrect an old thread: has anything recently changed? Can I invite a guest into the lounge?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead as well... Yes... Has anything changed at FCO for lounge access?

I will be heading to Rome in December of this year and wanted to know about Lounge and Check-in tips...

Thanks...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Bumping this thread up, because I'll be flying FCO-IAD (UA 967, departing 10:45 a.m.) in a few days.

It looks like things are probably a fair bit better than they were a few years ago, when this thread started. But before I take any chances I'd like to see if anyone has recent experiences to report.

1. Is it reasonable to arrive, say, 2 hours before our flight? If not, how much earlier?

2. Also, as a 1P traveling in Y, am I likely to get lounge access?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I'd be curious as well....flying IAD-FCO-FRA and curious if there's a LH *G lounge? The LH segment will be in whY, so....
Old Nov 14, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Update

I was there Oct. 23 flying home.

There were three of us, I was confirmed in Business, second person was FFCC waitlisted for Business and the third was waitlisted for Business using one of my SWUs.

But when we checked in, only I had a Business Class ticket. However, they gave me a pass for all three of us to the lounge (he said he made an exception, normally just two). I'm a 1K, the other two no status.

The FFCC'ed passenger was the only person who got into Business that day, and the other passenger's SWU did not clear. I sat in coach and let them sit in Business. E+ wasn't bad on this trip (I was on a 777, the 767 switch occured on Oct. 24.).

Assume it was because I was Business and a 1K that I got all three of us in, but they still seem to let one+one into the lounge.

BTW, the lounge isn't really much of anything - no free internet - hard to find seats and very little to eat or drink. Basically, I had a cappuccino and went to the bathroom, then left early to work the upgrades with the check in desk.

Boarding was just a mass of people - due to the way you have to enter the boarding lines, it was impossible for premium passengers to get to the red carpet. YMMV. We just had to wait in the mass of people to get to the front.

Flight and food (even in coach) was fine.

Billy

PS - The check in wasn't too bad - but I arrived two plus hours early (got in from a cruise, so that's just when I arrived from the ship). But Delta, whoa!, what a mess!!! Check in is now in terminal 5(what I remember), different than what I remember in the past.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:01 am

Thanks for the notes, particularly as they're reassuring. I'll add in my experiences after my 18 Nov 2009 flight, for others who may be interested.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Delta3MM

PS - The check in wasn't too bad - but I arrived two plus hours early (got in from a cruise, so that's just when I arrived from the ship). But Delta, whoa!, what a mess!!! Check in is now in terminal 5(what I remember), different than what I remember in the past.

I have flown out of FCO 3 times in the past few years and I believe the Check in move to Terminal 5 is rather recent and something that has caused a good number of complaints. You used to checkin at what is now Terminal 3 and then take the tram out to what is now Terminal G. Apparently you now have to check in at 5, take the tram to 3 and then take the tram out to G. If you come in by train, that means you take the tram from 3 to 5, from 5 to 3, and then from 3 to G. I expect nothing less in Italy.

I am not certain of this as I have not done it, but this is what I understand for other posts. From maps it looks like you have to walk from 3 to 5, but they say there is a shuttle.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:39 am

FCO has just within the past few weeks gone through a major re-signing. Terminal A, AA, B, and C are now 1, 2, 3 and 5. The lettering of the departure gates has also been redone. But there is NO change in lounge access. You still check in at T5 and do passport and security there. Then a bus takes you over to the departure gates, where there is still the Le Anafore lounge for UA F & C and *G use.
Note regarding the post above: if you are transferring at FCO, you cannot walk from Terminal 3 to 5. You must take the shuttle bus.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:43 am

deleted...duplicate post
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:52 am

Notes from UA #967 FCO-IAD on 19 November 2009.

We arrived at the airport, via the Leonardo Express train at 8:22, a bit more than 2 hours before departure. The train from downtown Rome is great, though you should know two things. First, in Rome it leaves from a platform that is about a quarter mile from the main train station, so don't plan on arriving at the last second. Second, at FCO you need to take a shuttle to T5.

Check in for a 1P was very smooth. No line. The economy line looked like about 10-15 minutes wait.

They gave us a lounge pass unprompted. The lounge's only real benefit was that it has beverages & croissants -- we actually went back to the general seating area of the airport because my wife thought the lounge smelled weird.

Boarding, security, etc were all very smooth, though there were a very large # of different steps to check in, security, passport control, shuttle to the gate, etc.

There is food before security and one food court near the gate. The latter looked better.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL silver and UA silver
Question UA967 FCO-IAD flight's gound service?

Will use UA967 FCO-IAD flight next month and have some questions about recent airport condition. Hope any flyers flied this flight recently can answer.

Is this flight's check-in prcedure operated in Terminal 5 now? the sercuity and passport check long-waiting and dis-organized? Is there a second security check at the gate area?

I plan to arrive at FCO airport 2 hours in advance. Is it enough for this flight?

If i have enough time, can i use *G card (will fly Y) to enter any nearby contracted lounge? Is the lounge called, LE ANFORE?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.