Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:51 am

Location: The opinions expressed are mine and not those of UA corp or its affiliates
Programs: St. Olaf College Alumni, Bullmastiff rescue
747 on/off is in entertainment cabinet. Most, but not all circuit breakers are in cockpit ... on/off is different from circuit breaker. New reconfigured AC will have regular plugs for laptop .... like PS ... and it won't be necessary to have Empower adaptor. But all AC won't be in new config until end of '09.
A tip: Sometimes if someone has pushed really hard when inserting the Empower adaptor the female, or receptor port, gets pushed in and the next person won't get a connection even if the green light is on. If you just file back a hairs width of the plastic around the plug with a nail file, a connection will usually result. This tip given to me by a passenger and is not official UA tip.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Originally Posted by last2board
I bought this for $30.00 at Radio Shack today. This is NOT the more expensive Igo Juice and is only good for auto and air, but it is a cheaper way to get empower. It is fairly light. I will try it out on Tuesday.
I used the Igo Airpower 6500 last night IAD-SFO on a B757. It worked perfectly, both powering and charging my 13" Vaio. As always YMMV.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just flew N540UA (757) yesterday...one of the "UnEmpowered" planes.

(Made updates in the original post.)
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by livitup
Lenovo makes one themselves: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...el-number=1707 but I think it's kind of retarded. The power "brick" itself is much larger than the standard one, but on the plus side it is also compatible with 12 Volt DC from a car and includes a cigarette lighter adapter as well, so you get two options for the price of one.
Good luck.
I'm on my second Stinkpad in three years, and I've found the IBM/Lenovo adapters to be more reliable (in terms of plug fit and consistency of charge) than the Igo Juice or Targus adapters. I've been through probably a half-dozen, all told. Maybe it's just cause I beat up my laptops
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Car to Empower adapter

Ok, I need a little help

I am looking for this:

http://store.l-f-l.com/media/images/...ir-adapter.jpg

I am flying Saturday (on the waitlist for C on SFO-FRA UA926) and I would like the above pictured adapter. Has anyone seen it for sale in the Bay Area or at SFO specifically? Tons of places on-line carry it, but I don't have time to wait for the shipping.

I've tried Fry's in Fremont, no dice (lots of things that are close). Was going to try Radio Shack but the one near me closed.

If anyone has seen it, please let me know.

I'd prefer to convert the car adapter to empower rather than get, say, a universal empower converter (like iGo) because I already have car adapters for my devices and I don't want to mess around with the tips.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by hsilbiger
Why is EmPower used at all? On Lufthansa and some other airlines I've been on ther are regular 117V outlets. Will the new seats still have EmPower or will they go with standard outlets like p.s.?
I recently flew in C on an LH A346 FRA-DEN. Plugging the 85W power brick from my MacBook Pro into the 117V would pop the circuit breaker immediately. Removing my Mac's battery made no difference—it was the power brick itself; even when other end was not plugged into my Mac, just plugging in the power brick alone would pop the breaker. The purser acknowledged that this is a common problem with newer Macs and Dells; he offered to let me try my luck plugging into an outlet in the galley during mealtime, but I had 3 fully-charged batteries so that was unnecessary.

On the other hand, the simple light-weight MagSafe Empower cord that Apple sells works fine with my MacBook Pro on Empower-equipped UA aircraft—the power brick is not used in this setup.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:21 pm

Quick question:

I read the first post, but i just wanted to confirm. Does the 777s from IAD to LHR (ecconomy) have power plugs?? Air Canada flights do, but from the first post it appears no??

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sadhakim
Quick question:

I read the first post, but i just wanted to confirm. Does the 777s from IAD to LHR (ecconomy) have power plugs?? Air Canada flights do, but from the first post it appears no??

Thanks
No United flights with the exception of flights between JFK and SFO and JFK and LAX (PS Service) have power in economy. Sorry!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Just flew N540UA (757) yesterday...one of the "UnEmpowered" planes.(Made updates in the original post.)
Hi, United959. At the time of my (this) post, your original post still has N540UA in the empowered list. Is that what you intended?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have the Kensington 120W Auto/Air/Wall adaptor with a tip for my T42 (work) and Acer C110 (personal). Both run/charge on the UA Empower and PS powerports as well as any US wall plug, and I can also confirm that they run on Australian/Kiwi plugs with an adaptor stuck on the end. I have not bought the tip to charge my Sony Ericsson Z525 and I don't have an iPod(), so I can't comment on that.

I would also recommend looking around for refurbed models on eBay. I got mine for $40 and its been a dream come true to finally have power!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
I recently flew in C on an LH A346 FRA-DEN. Plugging the 85W power brick from my MacBook Pro into the 117V would pop the circuit breaker immediately. Removing my Mac's battery made no difference—it was the power brick itself; even when other end was not plugged into my Mac, just plugging in the power brick alone would pop the breaker. The purser acknowledged that this is a common problem with newer Macs and Dells; he offered to let me try my luck plugging into an outlet in the galley during mealtime, but I had 3 fully-charged batteries so that was unnecessary.

On the other hand, the simple light-weight MagSafe Empower cord that Apple sells works fine with my MacBook Pro on Empower-equipped UA aircraft—the power brick is not used in this setup.
If you get a MacBook power supply (60W) it won't pop the breaker. It won't charge your battery as fast, but it will still let you run and charge a little.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
My Sony VAIO TX is compatible w/3 iGo models (Juice, Everywhere 85 and Everywhere 130)

Seems as though a lot of folks here manage just fine with the Juice. However, is there any reason I should be considering one of the Everywhere models?

My next flight is the 752 ps (JFK-LAX) and then the 744 (LAX-SYD) and after that a mix of UA flights.

thanks
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peacock
Hi, United959. At the time of my (this) post, your original post still has N540UA in the empowered list. Is that what you intended?
Ooops! All fixed. Thx.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
If it makes sense to add this information to the original post, the thirteen p.s. configured aircraft (equipped with AC empower) are:

N502UA
N505UA
N508UA
N510UA
N512UA
N517UA
N518UA
N525UA
N532UA
N554UA
N555UA
N557UA
N560UA
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by UpgradeMePlz
No United flights with the exception of flights between JFK and SFO and JFK and LAX (PS Service) have power in economy. Sorry!
wow, thats surprising, i'm pretty shocked that Air Canada's planes are better than united..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.