Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by planetman
..However, only 110VAC systems have higher power. All 15V DC systems are 75W peak.
I suppose that this refers to the systems built by Empower, right?
Even my smaller 95W power supply triggers the circuit breakers in the inseat power supplies of LH or TG .
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: Lifetime Global Services & Club, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, EK Platinum
Well, remember the laptop runs on DC not AC, it's all in the brick. There is no easy way to explain this, but if the brick has power factor correction, then it will work with DC system. Try to take out your battery next time. Laptops consume much more power if battery is plugged in and charging. In addition to power limits, there are current limits. So just because you have a rated brick at 70W, no power factor correction, it may have a current greater that what the system is allowed to accept, in that case, you will not get power. If your laptop worked on some planes, not others, then you are within the margin tolerance of the system.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Global Services & Club, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, EK Platinum
You are correct. EMPOWER is designed and made in the US, the other guys on TG and LH have the German system. Stick with EMPOWER!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 1:27 pm

I am familiar with the concept of apparent power and effective power in circuit designs. The LH and TG systems cut me off after several seconds and not immediately when I am using a battery which I read a strong indicator that my effective power consumption is to high.
Originally Posted by planetman
You are correct. EMPOWER is designed and made in the US, the other guys on TG and LH have the German system. Stick with EMPOWER!
How can I 'stick' to Empower? The carriers offer no choice which system I can use in my seat .
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Smile

Very useful post, thanks!! ^
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by weero
How can I 'stick' to Empower?
By sticking with UA, I suppose.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
By sticking with UA, I suppose.
And for intra-asia, do I have to abduct a UA plane for my needs ?
Old Nov 22, 2007, 9:14 am

Of course you are right. The good news is most airlines fly EMPOWER about 100 worldwide. To name a few big guys: UA, AA, CO, SQ, BA, CX, Emirates, QF, Asiana, EVA, Air China, Almost all A380 customers, and almost all B787 customers.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 9:18 am

I am familiar with the concept of apparent power and effective power in circuit designs. The LH and TG systems cut me off after several seconds and not immediately when I am using a battery which I read a strong indicator that my effective power consumption is to high.

How can I 'stick' to Empower? The carriers offer no choice which system I can use in my seat .
And for intra-asia, do I have to abduct a UA plane for my needs ?
Many Airlines in Asia fly EMPOWER 110V AC system: Asiana, EVA, Cathay, Oasis, Air China, China Eastern, JAL (select fleets), Qantas, SQ, ANZ, and much more soon. Most Asia carriers are upgrading to latest VOD IFE and PC Power even on narrow body aircraft on popular business routes.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Igo auto/air power 6500

I bought this for $30.00 at Radio Shack today. This is NOT the more expensive Igo Juice and is only good for auto and air, but it is a cheaper way to get empower. It is fairly light. I will try it out on Tuesday.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by last2board
I bought this for $30.00 at Radio Shack today. This is NOT the more expensive Igo Juice and is only good for auto and air, but it is a cheaper way to get empower. It is fairly light. I will try it out on Tuesday.
If you're using a reasonably modern Dell, good luck! Let us know, but I think you'll be disappointed
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:07 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Thanks your comment. I have a Viao SZ model. I will keep all the packing materials so I can return it if it doesn't work out.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
FWIW, my iGo Juice70 has worked well for me on UA, US, and AA with my IBM/Lenovo T43p and various Dell D series.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by last2board
Please let us know how it goes. We would like to buy a cheapo adapter for use on an upcoming a 15 hour flight, and I can't justify paying $139, which is more than the cost of the DVD player

Not sure why UA couldn't have installed simple auto-plug slots, like AA

Thank you againUNITED959 for a most helpful and complete explanation! ^
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Thank you againUNITED959 for a most helpful and complete explanation! ^
Why, thank you. I try my best! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.