Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Master "Youngest MP Elite Member" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
HAHA, what about the REGULAR weekend transcontenental "expirence"?! I would venture to say that like other 95% leisure 1Ks a LONG weekend to me means a transpac!!

This is not a "mine is bigger" if it came off as that!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
I don't really understand how being born in America affects the value of airline status. There are plenty of things that Americans can be grateful for, but I don't think being able to travel and gain status ranks very highly on the list.

You know what? I think being able to travel without any restriction is one of the things that Americans can most appreciate for. According to what I've seen, it's not even easy to get a passport in some Asian countries. Though my country is a democratic country compared to other Asian countries, I still get some restrictions when I travel. I need to have an insurance that will reimburse the government up to USD100,000 in case I don't return. Also, I should go through the immigration twice when I leave the country, unlike to the U.S. which doesn't have the immigration at all upon departure.

Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
As for the rest of your comments re: being "lucky" enough to have wealthy, divorced parents... that might be true for those who are under 21 (although I don't think earning status on an airline makes up for having divorced parents). I would suspect most flyers over 21 with status have gotten it due to their own (or their company's) money. Most (if not all) of the miles that went toward my 1k status are from business trips.
Did I ever say "being lucky enough to have wealthy, divorced parents?" Logically, do you think "it's lucky to have divorced parents?" I didn't say like that. Why don't you go back to my original post and read it again? Of course, earning status has nothing to do with having divorced parents. Also, most people over 21 probably earn their status at their own. So that's why I used "minor(young)", which means either under 18 or 21, in my original post. Honestly, I don't consider 21 or older as young.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N227UA
You know what? I think being able to travel without any restriction is one of the things that Americans can most appreciate for. According to what I've seen, it's not even easy to get a passport in some Asian countries. Though my country is a democratic country compared to other Asian countries, I still get some restrictions when I travel. I need to have an insurance that will reimburse the government up to USD100,000 in case I don't return. Also, I should go through the immigration twice when I leave the country, unlike to the U.S. which doesn't have the immigration at all upon departure.
So you think that you are in a disadvantage because when you travel within Asia you have to go through immigration? There are much more compelling examples of why I would not travel within the United States - the first thing that comes to mind is security! Unpack your laptop bag, get SSSSd, take off your shoes, get your passport/ID checked once, twice, thrice... . It is so much more of a hassle if you ask me.

In Singapore or Bangkok - and I am sure in other Asian countries as well - it is an entirely different story. You check in, go through immigration, and the get your bags screened before you go to the gate. IMHO a MUCH more hassle-free experience!!

I guess it varies from country to country... . Which country do you travel from most of the time?

Honestly, I don't consider 21 or older as young.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by UA 882
So you think that you are in a disadvantage because when you travel within Asia you have to go through immigration? There are much more compelling examples of why I would not travel within the United States - the first thing that comes to mind is security! Unpack your laptop bag, get SSSSd, take off your shoes, get your passport/ID checked once, twice, thrice... . It is so much more of a hassle if you ask me.
I didn't say that I'm in a disadvantage because of going through immigration to travel within Asia. PLEASE READ MY ORIGINAL POST CAREFULLY. I SAID THAT I GET SOME RESTRICTIONS WHEN I LEAVE MY COUNTRY TO HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL TRIP. I would say going thorugh the security a hundred times in the U.S. is easier than having an international trip for most people at my age in my country. Often it's not even easy to get a passport of single validity for people at my age.

Originally Posted by UA 882
In Singapore or Bangkok - and I am sure in other Asian countries as well - it is an entirely different story. You check in, go through immigration, and the get your bags screened before you go to the gate. IMHO a MUCH more hassle-free experience!!

Going through immigration and security is not a matter at all. No matter how much time it would take, you can have an international trip anyway. In my case, the story is different. I need to get a stamp in my passport and immigration card from the government to have a pre-authorization for departing the country before going through the immigration. If I don't get the stamp, I wouldn't be able to have an international trip. As you see, this is not the problem of having some hassle. This is the problem of having a trip or not.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by flysurfer
It's kind of revealing how these threads eventually always seem to turn into a "mine is bigger" contest...
They tend to also be a bit better accepted here than other sites, but they can be interesting to read whether for the original post or the reactions to them... I remember last summer when one poster on this thread (not me) started a thread on a-net after hitting 1K status...

Last edited by cawhite60156; Mar 28, 2005 at 10:31 am
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
As I said above, I'm UGS at age 28, but I doubt I'm the youngest, by far. Anyone younger?
Well... a few years ago, the son of a friend of mine was a 1K at age 3. If UGS was in place at that point, he'd have been UGS as well without question. Almost all of it on a mix of full-F ORD-SYD tickets and F RTW tickets, while his father was on assignment in Australia.

He was NOT the youngest 1K that year.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred Select
I was the youngest 1k...a couple days old

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
FTer crankyusi's son was a 1K at 4, earned by flying the infamous baht run with his father.
While on a flight from JFK-LHR a while ago, my mother started giving birth. They didn't want to land the plane, depressurize the cabin, and have me pop out like a walnut out of a balloon. So, they had those refueler planes refuel us as we flew over 100,000 miles, trying to figure out what to do. Luckily, in the heat of labor, my mother had the foresight to fill out an onboard Mileage Plus application for me. She picked at the application with the dulled pencil (with no eraser, nonetheless), and managed to scribble down enough information about me to successfully complete the application.

Low and behold, about 101,800 miles later, I was born on a tarmac in France. As I came into the world, a flight attendant grabbed me with a hot towel (a little too warm if I remember), fed me Pinot Grigio from my bottle, and patted me on the bum as we exited the aircraft, saying, "Good hustle, young champ." I'll never forget that day. What a moment. I cried until my 1k package came in the mail....8 weeks later!

And thus began my life as a "plane-rat". By the way, while you read the above, I hope the theme to Masterpiece Theatre came to mind. Thank you and good night.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:57 am
Suspended

Can anyone beat by 2.5 year old who'll get
Premier status in September?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Premier Associate count? There has to be someone younger than that. All it takes is a trip to Asia from the west coast and a transcon, although that's quite impressive!^
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I remember a post (can't find it)... but thier infant (so I am assuming under 2) was a 1K.

Also, many companies who have employees living abroad allow for the families to fly back a few times a year so 2 asia trip and you there.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:15 am

Lucky kids. They don't even know. Now if only they could pull lifetime..
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, AA CK, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, KAL MC, Hyatt Globalist, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
My daughter made 2P before she was 18 months old. Two international trips and a trip to Hawaii did it. She is four now and still a 2P, just requalified for next year. We have another trip to Europe end of the year and I was thinking about doing the double eqm promo (if they do it this year) for her just to get her 1P for fun and the double miles.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
From March 25, 2004

Posted by crankyusi
I seem to recall that our own Cranky had a couple of toddler 1Ks thanks to the Baht Runs he did with them?

Thanks for remembering that memorable time, PremEx. Saved those boarding passes too as souveneirs. Have one kid only, and we definitely did reach 1K, and the little guy sure has been living up to that Cranky nickname (and maybe the wife will start posting soon as Rhino)
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I made 2P by 11 months and have been 2P at least ever since. Having family on the east coast (and a grandmother who would never miss an opportunity to see me) certainly helped. Now that I think about it, having a December birthday probably also helped as I was able to start the new year out almost immediately.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
My employer's 3-yr old was 1P last year(2006). I don't think he re-qualified for this year though.

Craig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.