Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

united.com probs and workarounds for Comcast subscribers

united.com probs and workarounds for Comcast subscribers

Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:10 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
[I edited this 6/4/2007, 11AM US CDT to make it more relevant to the current Comcast related DNS problem]

The DNS Servers for united.com and related websites are:
dc1lbs1.uls-prod.com 209.87.112.4
dc2lbs1.uls-prod.com 209.87.113.4
It looks like there is a recent change to UA's DNS servers. There are now 2 others and you may also try using them instead of the 2 listed above. I am do not know when this change went into affect -- maybe this change caused the problem or is the solution.
dns01.uls-prod.com 209.87.112.200
dns02.uls-prod.com 209.87.113.200
You may have better results in accessing UA's web sites by adding one or 2 of the above DNS servers to your DNS entries. Make sure they are the last in the DNS list, after your existing DNS servers.

The procedure to update you DNS entries varies depending on your operating system and version (Mac, Windoz, Linux, SunOS), your ISP, if you have a router, etc. I will not attempt to give a detailed procedure as it would be many pages long. Just be sure you really know what you are doing as you can make things worse.

After all this settles down it is best to remove these additional DNS entries but keep note of them if the problem happens again.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jun 4, 2007 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
there's a problem with comcast thats causing random dns errors since this evening. united.com and ual.com are both affected.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by camachinist
I've been accessing various parts of .bomb, secure and unsecure, all morning without issue. Sounds like an internet problem, one I believe was alluded to in another thread...
Here: http://tinyurl.com/25mn3b

We're on Comcast and it's been up and down. At the moment it's working perfectly again.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
It's apparently only a problem for Comcast subscribers, and even then not all of them. I have been unable to access united.com through my cable modem all day, but no problem using my T-Mobile Dash.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:53 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redburgundy
It's apparently only a problem for Comcast subscribers, and even then not all of them. I have been unable to access united.com through my cable modem all day, but no problem using my T-Mobile Dash.
Comcast's DNS and ual.com have a long history of not playing together well.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 3:03 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=60 for my workaround for united.com and Comcast DNS issues. Please post if this resolves the problem.

(This is now posted at the top of the thread - l'etoile, moderator)

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 4, 2007 at 9:44 am
Old Jun 2, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=60 for my workaround for united.com and Comcast DNS issues. Please post if this resolves the problem.
Yep - I'm a comcast user and couldn't get any of the ua2go pages to work until I went in and changed the DNS, so this definitely does work. You might want to give a little more detail for the less tech-savvy FT'ers ...
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:45 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danBfree
Yep - I'm a comcast user and couldn't get any of the ua2go pages to work until I went in and changed the DNS, so this definitely does work. You might want to give a little more detail for the less tech-savvy FT'ers ...
The procedure varies too much to post on here in less than several pages. There are details on the problem in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699584 . I gave some more info on my suggested workaround in post #64.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jun 3, 2007 at 3:00 am
Old Jun 3, 2007, 4:56 am

Nationwide thing

Northern Virginia Comcast subscriber here and as of 0600 Eastern time, website is Tango Uniform.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I'm in the Bay Area just north of Oakland this weekend, at a family member's place that has Comcast. All the ua2go.com sites behind the home page were unavailable since yesterday morning, but the united.com homepage was working. As of last night that was unavailable too. No OLCI for me for my flight home today.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:24 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
And about 18 hours later, back home in Colorado on Comcast (and an entirely different computer), it doesn't work here either.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not working this a.m. here in Chicago, on Comcast.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
And the same notebook that didn't work on Comcast at home yesterday gets me everywhere on a Canadian Rogers home wireless site where we're visiting this morning.

I'm starting to make some deductions about which large company to be annoyed with.

Last edited by Fredd; Jun 4, 2007 at 7:56 am Reason: clarification
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:50 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've started breaking out certain problems and workarounds regarding united.com issues. While I know there is more to add to this thread, until I get to merging posts from other threads and sorting through the massive sticky, I believe I've included the most useful workaround. Please watch post 1 in the united.com complaints for links to more threads that will deal with solutions to specific problems. Please be patient though, as it takes a while to sort through all that it there.

Until this thread is finished, please also see the thread below for more information specific to Comcast users.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699584

l'etoile
UA moderator

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 4, 2007 at 10:08 am
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Monday morning, 9am PDT. (Seattle-Comcast)

I was able to access for about 2 minutes this morning...now cannot access even the UAL.Com site.

I really have (had) need to access my account.

Is it really this hard for professionals(???) to fix this problem....it has been over 3 days for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.