Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will the "speech" and two seats to offer help get an op-up?

Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-MM

I am presently in Shanghai, returning to LAX next week via SFO. I am a POS and have bought two adjacent E+ seats (BigBit and Extraseat BigBit).

It appears that the return flight to the US is oversold in E. I am thinking about using the "speech", while mentioning to the GA the added incentive of, "if you give me one upgraded seat, I can offer you two E+ seats".

Do you think that this improves my chance of an upgrade, or does the second ticket actually complicate things?

On the SFO / LAX leg, I am willing to give up the second seat and even fly a single E+ seat if it means an upgrade on the PVG/SFO leg. After all, the SFO/LAX leg is barely an hour long.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Seems like it could only help.

I wouldn't bother offering the SFO-LAX seats. They're probably not relevant for the PVG-SFO flight. Unless the SFO-LAX flight is oversold too, and you offer to exchange them for a First Class seat on that flight.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Firstly, my compliments for your sensitivity. That in itself should merit an upgrade

Secondly, I'd go for it, and suggest volunteering if your schedule can accomodate. Then, you might get an upgrade and some sizeable TC's to boot. More knowledgeable minds will follow, but I'm thinking of John Candy in Planes, Trains & Automobiles...

Good luck!

Pat
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-MM
To Lori_Q:

The only reason I mention giving up the SFO/LAX leg is that I was wondering to myself what happens to the remaining itinerary for "Extraseat BigBit" if he doesn't "make" the PVG/SFO flight, and therefore breaks the itinerary.

To camachinist,

I'd love to volunteer, but I have some dental surgery scheduled for the next day, which I must have done. OTH, what kind of TC's do you think they'd offer for being bumped off a TransPac? I have never volunteered off one of these, only domestics.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
From my readings here on FT, compensation can run into the 800.00-1000.00 range, depending on how badly they're oversold. I'd say do a search, but I don't think it's working

Hope the dental surgury goes well. Nothing worse than an aching mouth

Decisions, decisions

Pat
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Bigbit, I'd sure give the speech if I were you. Getting two seats from one upgrade is certainly a win for United. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Bumping this existing thread to see if anybody else has paid for an empty adjacent seat on United and had the opportunity to see what gate agents would offer for volunteering either just the empty seat, or both occupied & empty seats. I thought about starting a new thread, but this thread's topic seemed sufficiently closely related to me to just pile on here.

I have an upcoming itinerary to London where I'm on a revenue ticket (cheap fare basis not eligible for miles award upgrade or even SWU), and used award miles for the empty seat. The 50K miles saver award was cheaper than two 30K one-way upgrades, even if I had bought an eligible fare basis for my revenue ticket; and I can confirm it now, whereas putting in for upgrades would probably not confirm until the day of the flight. I figured this guarantees me reasonable comfort even if United succeeds in packing the plane in the next few months, and I could easily buy a gourmet picnic basket filled with amazing savories far exceeding what I'd get in trans-Atlantic business class. And this is better than traveling myself on the award ticket, of course, since that wouldn't earn me my much-valued EQM's.

What I'd be hoping for is United needing both seats, accomodating me in a single business class seat on the next flight, but giving me double the VDB compensation amount that they've announced to solicit volunteers. I figure that that seems fair from the POV that had they found a party of two to volunteer instead of me, they would have to find two seats in which to reaccomodate them. I could see a counter-argument from United GA's that I'd be as comfortable in a business class seat as I would have been with my empty economy cabin seat, and thus they should only have to offer one seat worth of VDB travel credits; then I'd say give me two economy seats as reaccomodation and two seats worth of VDB travel credits, treating me exactly as they would any party of two. The real resolution on any given day, of course, would be how the GA feels that day and whether they have other prospective volunteers crowding the gate counter, but I'm curious if any FT'ers have real experience to share.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
You should be better positioned to get the Op Up for sure. Not only does it free up 2 seats, but 2 seats that are by definition together.

A few questions of interest:

1. Don't most United flights nowadays have immovable arm rests?
2. Do you get 2 x EQMs and miles? I ask because this would make Mileage Runs much easier.

Thanks,
Roger
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
You should be better positioned to get the Op Up for sure. Not only does it free up 2 seats, but 2 seats that are by definition together.

A few questions of interest:

1. Don't most United flights nowadays have immovable arm rests?
2. Do you get 2 x EQMs and miles? I ask because this would make Mileage Runs much easier.

Thanks,
Roger
The armrests are immovable in the exit rows and bulkhead seats when there's either no seat in front of you or it's too far way to use for the tray table/IFE screen (this includes the coveted 21HJ on the 777 XC/XI). AFAIK, all other E seats have movable armrests.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:30 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I believe the standard is to give 2X RDM but only 1X EQM. Otherwise most of us would just book 5 or more seats on really cheap MRs and be done with it.

And it's not only POS who book extra seats. I've sworn that if Mrs. gre and I are ever forced to buy E seats on a UA 744 we'll buy all 3 in an outside section (fortunately so far we've been able to always get where we're going on a 777).
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by leech27
The armrests are immovable in the exit rows and bulkhead seats when there's either no seat in front of you or it's too far way to use for the tray table/IFE screen (this includes the coveted 21HJ on the 777 XC/XI). AFAIK, all other E seats have movable armrests.
Wow ... shows how fortunate I have been this year. 46 segments an all in either upgraded C/F or in an Exit Row. I had actually come to the conclusion that the armrests did not move anymore ...

What a year for the Lococco family!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:50 pm

Location: Primary: Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle., Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: UA ex-2P, now mile burner and Kayaker (ITA-er?)
Originally Posted by leech27
While in 21J on a red eye SFO-ORD (or was it LAX-ORD?) half empty in E+, after take off, I saw a gentle man flip up all of the armrests in 20C through 20G to make himself a nice little bed for the sake of the next passenger in 20G I hope he took his shoes off. But hey, we each slept well in our own way.

K

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.