Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Oops - Previously I stated that I only got my 5,000 EQMs for the Platinum card, but not the promised 25k EQMs. I just looked at my Mileage Plus statement and discovered that the 25k RDMs were deposited on December 7. ^

So I may not cancel my cards yet, but I'm definitely going to stop revolving my cards for bonus RDMs.

Last edited by Lori_Q; Dec 19, 2006 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by kb1992
I cancelled all my Chase cards last week.

Let me apply for a new card now and test the water.

I'll report back.
Please do, I only have one chase visa and can easily cancel and open a new one for the 25K RDM.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
When an account was opened before September 1, 2006, it is eligible for waiving of the fee for 1Ks. If opened after September 1 2006, then Chase will only credit $60 of the $140 fee.
This may not be true - many FT'ers reported that they get complete fee waived, and I just confirmed this by myself.
Please check this thread for more info. I posted my email communications with Chase there as well
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by camachinist
...Legacy 1K MP VISA holders...
Platinum Visa before 9/1/06, 1K for first time after 9/1/06. Does that make me one of those "legacy" types or not?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by amartin1979
too late to cancel?
Since she already used the card they would not cancel the card and refund the $140 fee. They offered to replace this card with a no fee card and refund the $140. So we went for that option. Of course we will not use this new card. I was also told, Chase started enforcing the rule of no bonus miles because United asked them to do so.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is this only for the platinum cards? or also for regular and business cards that offer 20K bonus?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
My friend wanted to cancel his Visa,which was said free of annual fee for first year and only got the response from CSR that if he cancels the card, he will lose the bonus 20k miles

He has had this card for 8 months already

Last edited by zzyzx; Dec 19, 2006 at 10:28 pm Reason: add more info.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
It's interesting that Chase and UAL are finally putting a stop to this. Last year, when receiving one of my 4 MP Plat Visas, I got a call from Chase explaining that, since I already had other cards, that my credit limit for the new card would be lower. No big deal for me as I only planned to make one purchase on it, but it did illustrate that Chase was well aware of folks having multiple cards but chose not to do anything else at the time. I wonder what has caused this change in policy?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by zzyzx
My friend wanted to cancel his Visa,which was said free annual fee for first year and only got the response from CSR that if he cancels the card, he will lose the bonus 20k miles
I think that's always been the case. You have to keep the card open for a certain period of time or lose the bonus miles.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
When did u apply the card?

Originally Posted by brarob1
I got the following letter in the mail yesterday for my new United Platinum card which had 5000 EQM/25k bonus miles with first purchase. This is my sixth card with them:

"You recently opened a new Mileage Plus Visa Account, which offered bonus miles after completing your first purchase using your new card. The terms and conditions specify that the bonus-mile offer is available only to new cardmembers. Our records indicate you have taken advantage of this offer in the past . . . your account is not eligible to receive bonus miles associated with this card."

I DID receive the 5000 EQM when the first statement closed, but apparently will not be getting the bonus miles.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:24 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by worldtravel
I was also told, Chase started enforcing the rule of no bonus miles because United asked them to do so.
I find this strange, since Chase pays UA for the miles, don't they?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
It's probably not that cut and dried with an affinity credit card. I'm sure UA shares in the intercharge and annual fees in exchange for offering various incentive miles, but it could be broken out virtually any way you could imagine.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Same here

Originally Posted by worldtravel
My wife received an additional United Visa card and paid $140 annual fee few weeks ago. Today she received a letter from Chase indicating that she will not get any bonus miles because she already has another Visa card. It seems they are finally enforcing the rule.
I received the same letter yesterday....did not read the fine print when I applied month and half ago. Apperantly UA/AA and Chase/Citi are doing the math and figure the bonus miles for 2nd and 3rd....cards are not worth it.
The CitiAAdvantage website also have the same T&Cs now.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by fzwinter
It's interesting that Chase and UAL are finally putting a stop to this. Last year, when receiving one of my 4 MP Plat Visas, I got a call from Chase explaining that, since I already had other cards, that my credit limit for the new card would be lower. No big deal for me as I only planned to make one purchase on it, but it did illustrate that Chase was well aware of folks having multiple cards but chose not to do anything else at the time. I wonder what has caused this change in policy?
My best guess is that someone's bonus was tied to the number of new accounts opened. A higher-up finally realized how stupid that was and stopped it.

That's probably the same reason Citi was handing out cash like crazy earlier this year: someone was getting comped on that metric. I got both 0%/year and 2%/life of balance offers. The first check I put right back into Citi at 5% and the second I put on my mortgage. I made about $2000+ off that deal, after taxes.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K;
The more this is (and was) discussed here, the more likely it was that this would happen. We all know that FT is monitored pretty close by UA.
Sooner or later someone was bound to get this matter to someone who would make the changes.

It is very counterproductive (if you wanted the program to remain) to discuss this type of thing here in such detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.