Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SFO: AA Security Lines Much Quicker than UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

This has probably been stated previously...but having just flown SFO-BOS, the UA security lines were very long and the AA lines at the other side (right/South side) of the same terminal were very short, probably reflecting the different number of flights/pax. I am pretty sure once you clear AA security that you can walk back (short walk) to the UA gates).
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nologic
I am pretty sure once you clear AA security that you can walk back (short walk) to the UA gates).
Indeed, you can. I go over there looking for UA FTers all the time.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by tom911
And the Peet's on that side of the terminal is less of a zoo as well.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by nologic
This has probably been stated previously...but having just flown SFO-BOS, the UA security lines were very long and the AA lines at the other side (right/South side) of the same terminal were very short, probably reflecting the different number of flights/pax. I am pretty sure once you clear AA security that you can walk back (short walk) to the UA gates).
Yup.

A few times I've done the UA OLCI, park straight on level 2 where there's much less cars right next to the E stairway, walk through the AA Elite line with EXP card in hand, then cross over to UA gates.

Saves a good 10 minutes or more during the early morning rush.

Sami
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:10 pm

Programs: Lots
Just did this the other day. Saved at least 20 minutes.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:19 pm

shhhh the more people you tell the longer that line will get!

p.s. works at LAX too
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAEXP 2MM, UA 0.9MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Not sure what changed over the last few years (I was not based in SFO for awhile), but the check-in and security process at UA SFO seems much longer than before. Even as a 1K on a domestic flight, arriving one hour before can be risky if you have bags to check.

Using the AA line if you have status, or the carry-on only if possible, or the international line if open, saves a lot of time.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:15 pm

It probably has to do with the fact that AA doesn't have much going on at SFO. It is somewhat of an international gateway, but it certainly isn't a hub like it is for UA.

The premier terminal at LAX didn't give me any trouble last time I was in it, and I got there just before a lot of the international flights on a Monday.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BillKach
p.s. works at LAX too
That's not nice. No it doesn't.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I've never seen you...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
sshhhhhh! lets keep this on the down low. Why do you think I keep my AAdvantage GOLD card handy at SFO?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Some of the TSA agents there don't allow you to go through there with a UA BP. I've been turned away a couple times. Then again, I'm not the most TSA-friendly passenger, so it could be my fault.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by channa
Some of the TSA agents there don't allow you to go through there with a UA BP. I've been turned away a couple times. Then again, I'm not the most TSA-friendly passenger, so it could be my fault.
that's absurd as the access is open between the ua & aa terminals after security but then again, it's airport security tho in this case, they are private contractors and thus "not technically" tsa but never the less, it' absurd.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
This is one of the best kept secrets at SFO ^

Keep it a FT secret, ok
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mzkaiser
It probably has to do with the fact that AA doesn't have much going on at SFO. It is somewhat of an international gateway, but it certainly isn't a hub like it is for UA.
International gateway to where? DFW? MD80ville?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.