Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

MRY-SFO delayed. Took Taxi Instead. Can I get miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRY-SFO delayed. Took Taxi Instead. Can I get miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:14 pm
Wi-Fi

Originally Posted by snic
I prefer the idea that people who choose to live in northern California have no time to waste on useless words. And with that I'll take BART to MUNI, take N Judah to beach, and forget all about articles while I look at water.
(At the risk of getting this thread bounced to the deepest recesses of Flyertalk) as a fifth generation San Franciscan I need to point that articles are actually used for streetcars and buses. It's "the N-Judah", "the 38 Geary", etc. But you are absolutely right about not using them with freeways. "The 101 what?" I always ask my SoCal relatives. It's a unique name! You don't say "the President Bush, the Barry Bonds, the Herb Caen, the Golden Gate Bridge". Okay, so you do say the last one; the rules are admittedly complex.

It was the late 70s, I believe, when these advanced grammar lessons were dropped from the school system. Edukation ain't what it used two be.

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Wi-Fi
(At the risk of getting this thread bounced to the deepest recesses of Flyertalk) as a fifth generation San Franciscan I need to point that articles are actually used for streetcars and buses. It's "the N-Judah", "the 38 Geary", etc. But you are absolutely right about not using them with freeways. "The 101 what?" I always ask my SoCal relatives. It's a unique name! You don't say "the President Bush, the Barry Bonds, the Herb Caen, the Golden Gate Bridge". Okay, so you do say the last one; the rules are admittedly complex...
Well put. And I do want to stay on topic, honest, but - this grammatical dispute between the residents of the 2 West Coast UA hubs needs to be addressed and discussed! Thanks
BTW: "the Golden Gate Bridge" works just fine, because, as referenced before, it's a landmark and a pronoun.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:44 am

Programs: UA, AA
I'm sorry, but "101 was jammed" sounds soooooooo strange. "the 101 was jammed" makes so much more sense. There is, after all, only one 101! While saying "the Barry Bonds" is not grammatically correct, saying "I was on 101" is not either... now if you were to say "I was on U.S. Route 101," I'd give ya that... otherwise you need an article!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat
If anyone is interested, MRY has an agreement with local taxi companies and I have been told by agents there that any Gold member or above gets a free cab ride to SFO regardless of reason for flight delay/cancellation. So far I have used it twice for weather delays, once as a Gold and once as a Platinum.

On that note, United won't pay for your cab from SFO-MRY, only MRY-SFO since it facilitates onward connections.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Thanks for posting! This is an incredibly useful piece of trivia! I wonder what the misconnect rate is for these flights, it seems like it's pretty high.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BuckleandBoots
Thanks for posting! This is an incredibly useful piece of trivia! I wonder what the misconnect rate is for these flights, it seems like it's pretty high.

Since around July I've had delayed/canceled MRY-SFO/SFO-MRY flights about 50%+ of the time. I only learned of the "secret" benefit in October and have since used it twice. They pay between $225-$270 to SFO and somewhere in the $100-$200 range for SJC (I guess sometimes they re-route pax through there).
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Montereybay
If anyone is interested, MRY has an agreement with local taxi companies and I have been told by agents there that any Gold member or above gets a free cab ride to SFO regardless of reason for flight delay/cancellation.
I know someone with no airline status at all who got UA to pay for a (shared) cab to SFO. She had no idea that UA would do this, but she was in line behind some loud-mouthed DYKWIA type who insisted on UA paying for a cab, which they did for him. Then it was her turn and she just said, well I'm going to miss my connecting flight too, can I get a cab as well? So they put her and three other passengers in one cab and off they went.

(PS: There was heavy traffic on 101 - note absence of definite article - so they were delayed by about an hour, and she had to get rebooked again. Delays aren't limited to airlines!)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
This is good to know. I like to fly to MRY on fare sales, but they do have a lot of cancellations and delays.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... (PS: There was heavy traffic on 101 - note absence of definite article - ...
yes, an interesting regional difference N CA vs SoCA
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Then it was her turn and she just said, well I'm going to miss my connecting flight too, can I get a cab as well? So they put her and three other passengers in one cab and off they went.
Wonder how long before they realize it's cheaper just to do this for everyone rather than fly

If ANA can do a shuttle bus between SJC and SFO, then why not UA with a taxi service to/from MRY!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by docbert
Wonder how long before they realize it's cheaper just to do this for everyone rather than fly

If ANA can do a shuttle bus between SJC and SFO, then why not UA with a taxi service to/from MRY!
Actually there is a shuttle between SFO and Monterey, which departs every hour or so (maybe a bit less frequently). It's not run by an airline, but if I were UA I'd look into contracting with them to either set up a code-share agreement or have them take passengers whose flights have been canceled (or both).
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
That shuttle will not work because they have a strict limit on free baggage. If you end up with 4 gold+ members who have 10 checked bags, 4 briefcases/backpacks and 4 carry on bags, they will be 10 bags over the limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.