Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

MRY-SFO delayed. Took Taxi Instead. Can I get miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRY-SFO delayed. Took Taxi Instead. Can I get miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:02 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pkx
TED flies from LAS > SFO
The TED flies from LAS > LAX
I suppose we should be calling Theodore TheOdor now?

Tide, as you correctly point out, the 500 EQMs only matters if you are near a threshold. One strategy would be to wait and see if it really matters, and if so, then to write and make your case for them. A selling point could be "I did the best I could to fly United, even after the cancelation - I could have just dumped the whole ticket and flown on a different airline."
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Oh, I get it, people from NoCal all missed the day in elementary school when they taught the use of articles.
That hypothesis is likey incorrect, since the majority of people (well, at least a whole bunch of them) in NorCal came from somewhere else and hence went to elementary school somewhere else.

I prefer the idea that people who choose to live in northern California have no time to waste on useless words. And with that I'll take BART to MUNI, take N Judah to beach, and forget all about articles while I look at water.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by blahman
How did you get them to give you a voucher for inclement weather? A few years back, we arrived late into ORD supposedly due to weather, and missed our connecting ORD-Madison, Wisconsin flight. Ended up catching the bus instead, but was refused any voucher of any kind.
I had the same experience "flying" from MSN to ORD on the bus, but I was able to get the value of the unused part of the ticket refunded, at least. I think maybe Madison is just better avoided during any sort of weather. Last winter there were several days when every single arrival and departure were cancelled.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by snic
That hypothesis is likey incorrect, since the majority of people (well, at least a whole bunch of them) in NorCal came from somewhere else and hence went to elementary school somewhere else.

I prefer the idea that people who choose to live in northern California have no time to waste on useless words. And with that I'll take BART to MUNI, take N Judah to beach, and forget all about articles while I look at water.
You 'Frisco people are so provincial

If you drop the article for BART, etc. then why do you call it "the Haight", the Bay Bridge, the Embarcadero, etc? At least we are consistent down here in SoCal!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: UA, AA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

For a second I read the title as MSY-SFO and was very confused on two fronts.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by clover
You 'Frisco people are so provincial

If you drop the article for BART, etc. then why do you call it "the Haight", the Bay Bridge, the Embarcadero, etc? At least we are consistent down here in SoCal!
Beacuse those are places or landmarks, not roads or mass transit systems. And, when you are ready for your welcome in NoCal to expire, then just keep calling it 'Frisco.

-Taking 680 to 580 to 238 to 880 to 92 to 101 to SFO, and not a "the" to be found anywhere,
-flyinryan
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Talking Does not need a F1 driver to make this happen

We did something similar last year, when my wife was just short of reaching 1K.

We bought her a ticket SFO-MRY, outbound in late December 2005, return in early January 2006. She checked in online at home, before I dropped her off at SFO. I drove to MRY, and actually saw her ERJ cross over the highway for its landing at the airport. She was just coming out of the MRY terminal as I pulled up in my car. We have a nice lunch before driving back together to our home on the SF peninsula.

In January, we drove together to MRY, had lunch, and dropped her off at the MRY airport. I drove to SFO, and met her at the airport just when she landed and walked out to the curb.

Not bad for a little over $100 for the flight, a few hours of our time, and two nice lunches with my wife, and of course ensuring her 2005 1K renewal and a headstart on 2006 EQM.

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
You were able to get from MRY-SFO more quickly in a taxi than on a flight with a 30 minute delay?

Who was driving the cab? Michael Schumaker?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyinryan
Beacuse those are places or landmarks, not roads or mass transit systems. And, when you are ready for your welcome in NoCal to expire, then just keep calling it 'Frisco.

-Taking 680 to 580 to 238 to 880 to 92 to 101 to SFO, and not a "the" to be found anywhere,
-flyinryan
Well, I love the City (there, is that NoCal enough for you? ) and love to visit as often as I can. In fact, we've often day dreamed of retiring in NoCal...and may still pull it off. But I've always wondered why the 'Frisco thing is so irritating to locals. I purposely used it in my earlier post as part of the humorous vein of the thread, and added the smilie to make sure nobody thought I was being disrespectful.

I mean, it's almost always used in a positive statement (since it's hard to say negative things about the City!) and yet it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to anyone I know who lives there. Is there some historical context of the use of the term that explains it or just that it bugs the locals? Just wonderin'.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by clover
Well, I love the City (there, is that NoCal enough for you? ) and love to visit as often as I can. In fact, we've often day dreamed of retiring in NoCal...and may still pull it off. But I've always wondered why the 'Frisco thing is so irritating to locals. I purposely used it in my earlier post as part of the humorous vein of the thread, and added the smilie to make sure nobody thought I was being disrespectful.

I mean, it's almost always used in a positive statement (since it's hard to say negative things about the City!) and yet it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to anyone I know who lives there. Is there some historical context of the use of the term that explains it or just that it bugs the locals? Just wonderin'.
Glad you brought it up! There is an attempt at word etymology in this article...
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...14/DD67721.DTL
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Oh, I get it, people from NoCal all missed the day in elementary school when they taught the use of articles. Furthermore, totally OT, why is NorCal TRACON called "NorCal" as opposed to "NoCal"? This always pisses me off when I'm on approach on 870.
------------
What mileage program do I belong to? *The* United? No. United. The "the" re: So(what)Cal freeways -- as I've heard it -- is due to the fact that before the interstate numbering system came into general use, the freeways had specific names -- *the* Santa Ana freeway, *the* Santa Monica, etc., and thus people stuck with "the" after they adopted #s. I shift effortlessly between them because I'm a double agent secret spy.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:52 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by flyinryan
Glad you brought it up! There is an attempt at word etymology in this article...
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...14/DD67721.DTL
I should have known that Herb Caen would have something to do with it! If Herb is behind it, I'm not about to mess with it; though sadly, even he wouldn't use the term he coined-"Baghdad by the Bay" - as a compliment anymore.

SanfrnSISco it is!! ^
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had IAD-BDL canceled on December 24, 2004. Wouldn't get to BDL, PVD, HPN or BOS until the 26th.

UA refunded that part of the ticket and paid for my one way car rental. Afterwards, I inquired about the 500 miles I missed and they gave 5000. At the time I was a 1K.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Back on topic...

In July, my MRY-SFO flight was delayed and then cancelled due to fog. Although this was a weather delay, because I am a 1k, I got a taxi voucher to SFO. I took four other people with me and we all made our SFO flights. I think the cab driver was reimbursed about $140 but he got good tips from all passengers.

I did ask about getting the miles and I was told I got the voucher instead and did not fly those miles. I was happy with the service and consideration I received and that I made my flight in SFO>
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
It is interesting that you got a taxi voucher authorized by UA for weather. I always sweat the close connections when making a MRY-SFO-XXX flight. Luckily I haven't missed one yet, but my backup plan has always been to rent a car, since it would be cheaper than the taxi. However, the transit time would be hurt by having to drop the car off in the horrible remote rental car terminal @ SFO.

Does UA allow the taxi option frequently or just in specific circumstances? What about trying to get UA to not void the ticket due to a missed first leg if I happened to want to take a rental car just to ensure my ontime arrival @ SFO?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
It is interesting that you got a taxi voucher authorized by UA for weather. I always sweat the close connections when making a MRY-SFO-XXX flight. Luckily I haven't missed one yet, but my backup plan has always been to rent a car, since it would be cheaper than the taxi. However, the transit time would be hurt by having to drop the car off in the horrible remote rental car terminal @ SFO.

Does UA allow the taxi option frequently or just in specific circumstances? What about trying to get UA to not void the ticket due to a missed first leg if I happened to want to take a rental car just to ensure my ontime arrival @ SFO?
UA doesn't void anything (for no shows) until midnight that night. However, you do need to have a real (flight delay-related) excuse for why you didn't fly that first leg, or they don't have to accomodate you when you show up for the second flight. If it's a purely voluntary change with everything running on time it could be a BIG additional charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.