Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by dcgators
Please read the standby fare rules for your ticket for the answer.
That's why I'm confused.

All I see in fare rules:

STANDBY PERMITTED FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS OTHERWISE WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.

And, under "Permitted Combinations":

NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT-BWI-WAS FLL-MIA FLL-PBI MIA-PBI LAX-ONT LAX-BURLAX-SNA ONT-BUR ONT-SNA BUR-SNA NYC-EWR NYC-HVNNYC-HPN NYC-ISP EWR-HVN EWR-HPN EWR-ISP HVN-HPNHVN-ISP HPN-ISP OAK-SFO OAK-SJC SFO-SJC

When I called to ask about changing the flight (in advance, not standby) the fella in India told me I could not leave out of SFO, period. I HAD to go back from Oakland. I called right back, and the next (American agent) said, sure I could go out of SFO if I paid the $100 change fee....

I didn't ask about standby out of SFO yet but wanted to be armed with Flyer talk knowledge in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:45 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by itsme
I much prefer DCA to IAD, but I believe fares are generally higher out of DCA and there isn't that much service on UA metal. So of how much practical significance could there be to the IAD/DCA "standby co-terminals"? If one is scheduled WAS-BOS, can they standby for a UA/US codeshare from DCA? I suppose a DCA-ORD for IAD-ORD substitution would be the most likely option. Other destinations for which one might standby from DCA rather than go as scheduled from IAD? And I suppose none of these standby provisions or anything else make it possible to switch an IAD destination to a DCA one, right?
I have taken advantage a few times to fly out of DCA when ticketed out of IAD, and several times to return to DCA when ticketed to IAD. Since I'm often connecting in ORD when flying through either, these as co-terminals work very well for me.

You can technically stand by for the US-codeshares ex-DCA, but it is much more difficult.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FinallyFlying
That's why I'm confused.

All I see in fare rules:

STANDBY PERMITTED FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS OTHERWISE WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.

And, under "Permitted Combinations":

NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT-BWI-WAS FLL-MIA FLL-PBI MIA-PBI LAX-ONT LAX-BURLAX-SNA ONT-BUR ONT-SNA BUR-SNA NYC-EWR NYC-HVNNYC-HPN NYC-ISP EWR-HVN EWR-HPN EWR-ISP HVN-HPNHVN-ISP HPN-ISP OAK-SFO OAK-SJC SFO-SJC

When I called to ask about changing the flight (in advance, not standby) the fella in India told me I could not leave out of SFO, period. I HAD to go back from Oakland. I called right back, and the next (American agent) said, sure I could go out of SFO if I paid the $100 change fee....

I didn't ask about standby out of SFO yet but wanted to be armed with Flyer talk knowledge in advance.
You need to find a bit in the penalties section about "Standby"; the bit you cited is about fare construction, where those airport pairs ARE considered the same point (if the fare is published for each), not standby:

C. SAME DAY STANDBY-
UA PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS
AND TICKETS MAY STANDBY FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME
DAY FLIGHTS BETWEEN TICKETED CITY PAIRS AT NO
ADDITIONAL COST. IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL
AIRPORT OF DEPARTURE/ARRIVAL PASSENGERS MAY
CHECK IN AND STANDBY TO/FROM AIRPORTS LISTED
BELOW UNLESS RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT
PROVISIONS OF THE FARE
CITY AIRPORT
CHI ORD/MDW
NYC JFK/LGA
WAS DCA/IAD
The bit about "unless restricted by the airport provisions of the fare" is important, too. If you see something in the fare rules that says, "Travel must include IAD" or anything like that, you CANNOT stand by at DCA regardless of standby rules (unless you hit irregular ops or have a friendly GA willing to bend the rules). You used to see this a lot with fares put out there to drive DH out of business--you could be ticketed IAD-ORD-CLE, for instance, but HAD to fly to/from IAD and not DCA. You see the same thing ex-BWI for fares competing with WN.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
So if I understand this correctly, I could ask to do this 'same day': I bought a UA ticket that is bos-clt-aua on US metal. I prefer to fly UA bos-ord-aua . If there is room that day on the ua flights, I can pay the same day standby fee for the confirmed seat on the UA metal?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:33 pm

Any success to get $25 confirmed a day or 2 early?

Has anyone tried to get the $25 confirmed standby a day or two prior to scheduled flight? How many CSR's to find a friendly willing to accomodate on an exception basis?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:38 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by #10
Has anyone tried to get the $25 confirmed standby a day or two prior to scheduled flight? How many CSR's to find a friendly willing to accomodate on an exception basis?
I don't think it has anything to do with friendliness. The system will only allow the confirmed standby to be done within 4 hours of the flight you're trying to get on.

Example: If i wanted on a 7am JAX-ORD flight, but was sceduled on an 10am one, I could call at 3am to try to confirm on the earlier flight (4 hours before).
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAalltheway
I don't think it has anything to do with friendliness. The system will only allow the confirmed standby to be done within 4 hours of the flight you're trying to get on.

Example: If i wanted on a 7am JAX-ORD flight, but was sceduled on an 10am one, I could call at 3am to try to confirm on the earlier flight (4 hours before).
But what if I call for the 7am flight at 3am two days before by scheduled flight???
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by #10
But what if I call for the 7am flight at 3am two days before by scheduled flight???
I would say the answer would be no. It's 4 hours not 52. Sorry.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
Thanks for your replies. I apologize for not being clear. I am willing to call 4 hours before the flight that I want to take, but I want to go out a day or two earlier than my currently scheduled flight.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by #10
Errr.. it's just 4 hours. 48 + 4 hours is DEFINITELY not going to help anything. 4 hours. end of story. Sorry, charlie..

Hahah, yeah. Agreed..
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by #10
Thanks for your replies. I apologize for not being clear. I am willing to call 4 hours before the flight that I want to take, but I want to go out a day or two earlier than my currently scheduled flight.
It's same day standby only....so they'll only do this if the flight you want to take is the same day as the one you're ticketed for. What you're looking to do would be a change fee plus fare difference...so likely big money.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:14 am

It's same day standby only....so they'll only do this if the flight you want to take is the same day as the one you're ticketed for. What you're looking to do would be a change fee plus fare difference...so likely big money.
Darn, Renard, you have seen through my seemingly innocent question.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
You can only request the $25 same-day confirm within 4 hours of departure time of the flight you are trying to switch to. And either "H" class or your original booking class must me available to do this.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
So if I understand this correctly, I could ask to do this 'same day': I bought a UA ticket that is bos-clt-aua on US metal. I prefer to fly UA bos-ord-aua . If there is room that day on the ua flights, I can pay the same day standby fee for the confirmed seat on the UA metal?
Nope, not by the rules. Officially you have to travel the same routing. Someone may bend for you, of course, but I'd say that's unlikely.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:30 am

Programs: Back at the bottom
Originally Posted by thegingerman
Nope, not by the rules. Officially you have to travel the same routing. Someone may bend for you, of course, but I'd say that's unlikely.
Is that restriction in the standby section of the ticket rules? I couldn't find it on the UA web page on same-day standby and Expedia for some reason can't find the rules for my OAK-BNA $109+ flight. It is confirmed though

My situation is this:
Outbound, OAK-LAX-ORD-BNA, great for miles, but it's a red-eye that gets me to Nashville Saturday morning, when Friday night would definitely be preferable. I was hoping to standby for an early morning flight out of OAK (either the mile-friendly OAK-IAD-BNA or the explus OAK-DEN-BNA).

Return, I have BNA-DEN-OAK. If I take the 2:19 pm BNA-DEN (instead of the 5:11pm), I can get a explus RJ, and since I'll be *Silver by October, a shot at E+. So, while this standby would fit into the routing rules, for those who know this route, would I actually be able to get an E+ seat for the long RJ flight?

Thanks, I'm learning a ton every single day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.