Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Booking an Illegal Connection--what are the risks?

Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold

On an upcoming trip to Juneau, I'll be flying UA from IAD-SEA, where I switch to Alaska Airlines for the remainder of the flight. The non-stop from IAD arrives in SEA at 11:29am and the non-stop from SEA-JNU leaves at 11:55am (arriving in Juneau at 1:31pm). Twenty-six minutes is, admittedly, a very tight connection, but the only other option is waiting for an Alaska flight that departs SEA at 3:15, makes 2 stops, and doesn't even get into Juneau until after 7pm. My travel agency is willing to book the tight connection, but they're saying I will "assume all responsibility" if I miss the 11:55 flight.

Does anyone know what this statement really means? Realistically, I may miss the connection, but if I do I'm still just standing by for the 3:00 flight anyway, right? If I can't get on the 3:00 flight (or any other one that day) I assume I'd have to pay for my own hotel costs, but is there something else I'm missing here in terms of the risks?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
The other option is to book the later flights, and run to the gate of the earlier flight and standby / get on if you make it in time. Means that you have security knowing that you have confirmed reservations if you miss it.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
You could just fly on the 1 stop between IAD and SEA - it would probably be a lot safer. Alternatively, you could fly AS all the way through.

If this is on one ticket, I am not sure how the TA is ticketing it because I don
't think any GDS will allow the connection if it is illegal. If it is on 2 separate tickets, the worst that could happen is you miss the connection and have to pay for a new ticket.

Cheers
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
The other option is to book the later flights, and run to the gate of the earlier flight and standby / get on if you make it in time. Means that you have security knowing that you have confirmed reservations if you miss it.
Well, that's what the travel agency wants me to do but I'm afraid of getting stuck in a middle seat the whole way to Juneau. Maybe the smarter question is what the odds are of making a 26 minute connection between airlines at SEA? Any SEA regulars willing to hazard a guess?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Alternatively, you could fly AS all the way through.
And give up all those United miles?!? Heresy!
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Lpas
Well, that's what the travel agency wants me to do but I'm afraid of getting stuck in a middle seat the whole way to Juneau. Maybe the smarter question is what the odds are of making a 26 minute connection between airlines at SEA? Any SEA regulars willing to hazard a guess?
The "whole way to Juneau" from SEA isn't exactly a long flight. I would risk a middle seat to save 6hrs and risk a middle seat on the 2 stopover milk run.

I don't know SEA well enough, but 26mins does seem awfully tight to be changing terminals and be on board 10 mins before departure.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Lightbulb

If you have checked luggage, you will need to factor that into the equation as well. While YOU might make the connection, your luggage probably won't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.