Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Updated info on earning miles on Swiss, Qatar, and South African

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

Newly updated on united.com.

Qatar Airways:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51398,00.html

Qatar Airways

Earning miles
Qatar Airways is the national carrier of the Arabian Gulf State of Qatar. They fly to 60 plus destinations across Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, the Indian subcontinent and the Far East. Simply present your Mileage Plus number when making reservations on these flights and you can earn a mileage accrual of:
Paid Economy 100%
Business Class 125%
First Class 150%
There is a 500-mile minimum accrual for travel originating worldwide to any city served Qatar Airways.

Award travel
Award travel will become available in 2006. Complete details to come.
South African Airways
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51396,00.html

South African Airways

Earning mile
South African Airways serves destinations on five continents from their hub in Johannesburg. As the leading African airline they serve the African continent from Washington, New York and Atlanta. Simply present your Mileage Plus number when making reservations on these flights and you can earn a mileage accrual of:
Discounted Economy 50% (T,V,L,X)
Paid Economy 100%(Y,B.M,H,Q,S,E,U)
Discounted Business 100% (Z)
Business Class 125% (C,D,J)
First Class 150% (F, A)
There is a 500-mile minimum accrual for travel originating worldwide to any city served South African Airways.

Award travel

Mileage Plus Elite Benefits
Elite benefits and recognition will begin when South African Airways joins Star Alliance in the first quarter of 2006.
Swiss
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51397,00.html

Swiss International Air Lines

Earning miles
Swiss International Air Lines offers 126 destinations with one of the youngest fleets in service. Simply present your Mileage Plus number when making reservations on these flights and you can earn a mileage accrual of:
Paid Economy 100%
Discounted Business Class 100%
Business Class 125%
First Class 150%
There is a 500-mile minimum accrual for travel originating worldwide to any city served Swiss International Air Lines.

Award travel

Mileage Plus Elite benefits
Elite benefits and recognition will begin when Swiss International Air Lines joins Star Alliance in the first quarter of 2006.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Good work cakobau! ^^

I'll add a link from my *A thread.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
I aim to please.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So still no EQM...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So still no EQM...
You never get EQM for flying on non-*A partners...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by qasr
But you should get EQM's for announced *A partners after acceptance but pending all the technical issues that preclude final membership when those technical issues take years to resolve.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:31 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
CA can!

According to ual.com, I quote

Your paid, qualifying flights on most published fares on Air China operated United marketed code share flights also count toward eligibility for Mileage Plus elite status.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50614,00.html
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Swiss is supposed to become a *A partner in the "first quarter of 2006" according to the above article from united.com (which still claims the same!). I'm flying Swiss a lot right now; the first quarter is almost over. Still no EQMs I guess??
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: oneWorld Sapphire, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Fairmont Permier
If you trust Wikipedia then here's some info:

Swiss International Airlines will be joining April 1 2006
South African Airways will join on 10 April 2006

which means that after those dates, EQMs will be a reality on these two airlines.

I'm happy to hear about the Qatar Airways partnership because I will probably be going to Doha for work this summer and I wanted to earn miles if nothing else. However, I think I'll fly LH to Qatar if it can be helped since I'm not going to make 1P or 1K unless I log at least one trip to Asia/Middle East this year.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I really wish Qutar would join *A too then their would be no gaps when going around the world.
-UFFA
Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:57 pm

Programs: United, Starwood, Hilton
Does anyone have updated Information regarding when you can book an award trip on South African Airlines? Is it really April 1st....April Fools Day?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Venice
Does anyone have updated Information regarding when you can book an award trip on South African Airlines? Is it really April 1st....April Fools Day?
April 1st is the date for LX to become a member. An OP in this thread posted 10th April for SA to become a member, but I've heard a few different dates myself, most later.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: United, Starwood, Hilton
April 1st is the date for LX to become a member. An OP in this thread posted 10th April for SA to become a member, but I've heard a few different dates myself, most later.
Thanks. I guess I will call and do some research as I'm sure those awards will fly off the shelf.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Venice
Thanks. I guess I will call and do some research as I'm sure those awards will fly off the shelf.
Or never be available in the first place........(ok, call me a pessimist)
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Exclamation

From the star alliance website:

We are pleased to welcome SWISS and South African Airways to the Star Alliance network. They will officially join in early April this year, increasing our membership to a total of 18 airlines.
Watch this space for more detailed information over the next couple of weeks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.