Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 20, the UA 10 Year Anniversary of Gerard Finneran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 20, the UA 10 Year Anniversary of Gerard Finneran

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Guy, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star, Hair Club for Men Plutonium
itsme, I share your wonderment with Mr. Finneran and the basis for which he came to that astounding event. Your comments are interesting.

ClipperClub, I also found this description of the incident online. The notable addition from the other descriptions is the UA crew somehow “padlocking him to his seat.” Is this correct as you heard it? If correct, it just makes the story a tad more 'out there..."

=================

In 1995, in theory, he had it all. He was the 58-year-old president of an investment banking company. Before that, he was an executive at Citicorp, where he managed the U.S. corporate finance division and the Latin American and Canadian investment banking activities. Before that, he was at Drexel Burnham Lambert. He was an expert on Third World debt. He lived in Greenwich, Connecticut, and was clearly doing fine.

In November 1995, Finneran flew first-class on United Airlines from Buenos Aires to New York, returning from a business trip. He asked for a drink before the plane took off, then another, and another. And a few more after that. Finally, the crew stopped serving him, so he rose from his seat and served himself some drinks. The flight crew told him to stop. Finneran demanded more drinks. When a female flight attendant refused, Finneran pushed the attendant.

Next, Finneran demanded booze from a male attendant, threatening violence if no liquor arrived. The attendant refused to serve him. Finneran promptly jumped on the food cart, yanked down his pants, and defecated on it. Then he smeared his excrement on the seats.

At this point, the flight crew somehow found a way to restrain Finneran and padlock him in his seat. However, since he’d used a food cart as his toilet, they had to cut off food and beverage service for the remainder of the flight, which inconvenienced all aboard. That included the President of Portugal, who was in the first-class cabin, on his way to New York to address the United Nations.

That’s a long flight to go without food and water, with the stink of excrement all over the place. I’ll bet the other passengers had some rude remarks for Finneran.
When the plane landed at Kennedy Airport in New York, Finneran was greeted not by his family or the limo driver, but a group of U.S. Marshals, who took him off the plane and into custody. I don’t think Finneran expected that.
The story, of course, became hot news. It was the loudest and smelliest case of “air rage” yet seen, and Finneran’s antics made life easy for comedy writers across the United States. Jay Leno and David Letterman both roasted Finneran alive. Finneran made the main news sections and the “wacky news” sections. There was even a “Gerard Finneran Fan Club” in his dishonor.

Sobered up, Finneran entered a plea agreement with the court. He was required to reimburse United for the costs of cleaning the airplane. He also had to reimburse all the passengers for their tickets, as they definitely did not get the service advertised. He apologized for his conduct in court, saying he never intended to hurt or attack the attendants. He just wanted another drink.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
He is still in the NY area, actually living in Manhattan and working in NJ. He was so embarassed about this incident that he changed his name. After years of therapy and medication, "Benjamin " has his problem pretty much under control.

(Why do you guys make it sooooo easy?)
...but every once in a while, when I see that beverage cart, it brings back great memories...
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:29 pm

Programs: United 1K
David Letterman Show 10/27/95 - Top Ten Gerard Finneran Excuses

10. Misread brochure about advantages of first class

9. Confused when steward asked for headset deposit

8. Went nuts after learning they were out of chicken almondine

7. Thought he heard somebody yell, "We're going to crash!" and that was just something he always wanted to do before he died

6. Hoping to impress aloof blonde English woman in 2-D

5. Had already used airphone to call everyone he knew

4. You try drinking for 14 hours and see if you can tell the difference between a food cart and a bathroom

3. All part of an elaborate plan to intimidate the real killers

2. His ... wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment

1. Oh, like you've never done it
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:34 pm

Programs: United 1K
Finneran is a former executive with Citicorp and Drexel Burnham
Lambert Inc. and is considered an expert in Third World debt. While at
Citibank he managed the U.S. Corporate Finance Division and the Latin
American and Canadian investment banking activities. TCW is an affiliate
of Los Angeles-based Trust Co. of the West. It is the general partner of
TCW Americas Development Association L.P., a funds invested in Latin
American debt and equities.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:40 pm

[QUOTE=itsme]That Mr. Finneran "was actually the HEAD of his company" doesn't rule out the possibility that he was "AB-normal" starting further back in time. Indeed, I can imagine someone with developing organic brain disease managing to hold on longer as head of the company, especially if also the owner, than a subordinate in the company, whose failings would not be overlooked or tolerated for so long.

?????? Did you think I was defending him??
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaguar
Finneran is a former executive with Citicorp and Drexel Burnham
Lambert Inc. and is considered an expert in Third World debt. While at
Citibank he managed the U.S. Corporate Finance Division and the Latin
American and Canadian investment banking activities. TCW is an affiliate
of Los Angeles-based Trust Co. of the West. It is the general partner of
TCW Americas Development Association L.P., a funds invested in Latin
American debt and equities.
Yes, I am.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:50 pm

ClipperClub, I also found this description of the incident online. The notable addition from the other descriptions is the UA crew somehow “padlocking him to his seat.” Is this correct as you heard it? If correct, it just makes the story a tad more 'out there..."

yep.......unlike regular cuffs, however, it was a plastic version that were used....the only type on board back then.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: united airlines
[QUOTE=ClipperClub]
Originally Posted by itsme
That Mr. Finneran "was actually the HEAD of his company" doesn't rule out the possibility that he was "AB-normal" starting further back in time. Indeed, I can imagine someone with developing organic brain disease managing to hold on longer as head of the company, especially if also the owner, than a subordinate in the company, whose failings would not be overlooked or tolerated for so long.

?????? Did you think I was defending him??
No, not at all. I was just trying to put it all together, so as to explain such extraordinary behavior, if it wasn't simply a matter of too much booze. (Imagine the balance required to climb atop a food cart, drop trowsers and defecate! If so intoxicated as to attempt it, I should think he would have landed on his head.)

My point was that the facts recited (e.g., international banker, head of company, flying first class) would not preclude the possibility that he was in fact demented, and hence might have had a bona fide medical excuse. But if we had to bet, "drunk" was probably the answer.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:55 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=itsme]
Originally Posted by ClipperClub

No, not at all. I was just trying to put it all together, so as to explain such extraordinary behavior, if it wasn't simply a matter of too much booze. (Imagine the balance required to climb atop a food cart, drop trowsers and defecate! If so intoxicated as to attempt it, I should think he would have landed on his head.)

My point was that the facts recited (e.g., international banker, head of company, flying first class) would not preclude the possibility that he was in fact demented, and hence might have had a bona fide medical excuse. But if we had to bet, "drunk" was probably the answer.
From the original accounts read here online, it doesn't seem like he was seated in F. Sounds like he "stormed" the F cabin.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by ClipperClub
yep.......unlike regular cuffs, however, it was a plastic version that were used....the only type on board back then.
Now you are prepared with the metal ones cops carry?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by jaguar
10. Misread brochure about advantages of first class

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

jaguar, this same list from David Letterman was ALREADY POSTED in post #1 of this thread!

Or did you think it was so funny that it deserved to be repeated?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Kathy,

I scanned the first post and didn't see it because I thought it was a news article. My guess is that jag did the same thing.

Hard to believe that this was 10 years ago. At that time I was already flying UA for 7 years.

Dan
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:48 pm

[QUOTE=BenjaminNYC]

From the original accounts read here online, it doesn't seem like he was seated in F. Sounds like he "stormed" the F cabin.

He was seated in "Coneisseur" , I belierve (as it was named back then)
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:49 pm

Now you are prepared with the metal ones cops carry?

Yessir!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:53 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=ClipperClub]
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC

He was seated in "Coneisseur" , I belierve (as it was named back then)
With 42 inch pitch, no wonder he was pissed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.