Wiki Posts
Search

Special meal in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Special meal in Business Class

I am flying in upgraded business class from ORD-LHR in about a month. This is my first experience in UA C Int'l. I am VERY excited about the trip!

I don't eat pigs or cows, and when I travel in Y, I usually order a veggie special meal. However, the food in C class is completely different, and I know they usually have either a chicken, or a meatless dish offered in C. I think that I have currently ordered a special veggie meal in C class, but I'd hate to miss out on the regular selections if they are much better than the special meal.

Any experiences with the quality of special meal C food vs. the typical offerings in C? Should I cancel my request for a veggie meal?

Ironically, a few weeks prior to this, I am flying in DL's business elite using FF miles. It will be very interesting to compare my two experiences - DL vs UA. However, my love affair with UA could hamper my credibility when comparing the two
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i stopped ordering special meals for my flights when i realized that the special meal in c was identical to the special in y, they just served it on a plate instead of in the little plastic/tin thingie. identical isn't the right word, it's the same meal--just in better surroundings. you may well be jealous of your seatmate's selection if you're eating the coach 'vegetarian' option and he's got the business pasta or fish or chicken. you're better off getting a c meal, imho.

Last edited by karenkay; Aug 3, 2005 at 6:47 pm Reason: gramma
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:48 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
They usually have beef or chicken. Also have the option to ask for veggies only as they usually board extra veggie sides.

Go to SEA_Tigger's food thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388704 for an idea of what's being served on your route.

You can also pre-book a vegetarian meal through UA reservations at least 24 hours in advance.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
My experience with special meals in C is identical to karenkay's above, and I'd just add that even the appetizer gets downgraded, regardless of what the normal C meal is and whether it would meet your needs anyway. My normal route is JFK-LHR, so your experience may be different, but outbound there's almost always a pasta. You could always take your chances, order the special meal and if it looks bad try to get a regular one (particularly on a night flight, not everyone eats) but if C is full that may not be an option. If it were I, I'd avoid the special meal and figure I could always put together SOMETHING from the normal C fare.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:29 am

Interesting topic. I have flown several times now, DEN-IAD, upgraded to C on a 3-class 777. Whenever I book online, I ALWAYS request a low sodium meal. Givent that my 500-miler upgrades clear 48 hours in advance, I would expect that my low sodium meal would be waiting for me in C when meals are served.

In the recent past (at least 2 years), I haven't taken a flight in Y where I would have been served a non-BOB meal. Also, I have NEVER been served a low sodium meal in C (and I always take a flight during mealtime).

I am not complaining so much, because the meals I have received in C are adequate - some are quite tasty and filling. But, you would think that if they offer you an option, they would follow through. I guess it's another situation where you can only get what you want by calling rather than the mess ... errr ... tool that is United.com.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Try this thread for suggestions as well.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
my wife, a 1k, is a fi****arian, i.e. fish and veg, and does not order special unless she can't upgrade. there is usually a fish dish. and, as someone else pointed out, there seems to be an extra veggie loaded if you ask.

though omnivorous, i find airplane mammal and fowl to be less appetizing, and i am a no/low carb type-2, so also prefer fish. aside from having to endure american farmed salmon (quite oily), i do pretty well.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Well - I too do not order special meals in C. I usually want the beef, which is the 1st to go, and there is always chicken available. Also, as mentioned above, you can ask for the extra veggies.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:41 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Although there a dew exceptions, I long ago learned NOT to order fish on a plane. Airlines just seem to destroy fish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.