Earning miles on LH

Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Thumbs down Earning miles on LH

Hello everyone,

Is anybody of you aware of a change of rules for mileage accrual on LH? I used to get 500 miles for a flight from LHR/LCY to FRA when flying in Economy. When I was flying over on 01 Aug I only got 250 miles (was flying in W class, which is contrary to United, not one of the very cheapest tickets you can get).

By now I'm somewhat annoyed with LH anyway. I've been flying quite a bit between LHR/LCY and FRA lately - they constantly forget to enter status when I check in (always UAP instead of UA*G on the boarding pass), never put the "priority" tag on my bags when flying economy - and lots of other stuff. The only reason I still stick with LH is because I can use their lounges and F-Class check-in with my UA PremExec card. Wish UA would be flying between London and Frankfurt...
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
LH substantially devalued their earning scheme as of August of last year... it took MP nearly a year to catch up with the changes, but they went into effect ~June of this year.

(By contrast, other *A carriers made the changes very soon thereafter).
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Lucky you were not on an L or T fare, you get nothing. No RDM, no EQM, no EQS, nothing.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

*arghhh*
I was flying out of FRA last Friday, getting 500 miles, flying back there this Monday gave me 250. Looks like I will have to double my food/drink consumption in their lounges from now on to make up for this...

What is a bit annoying is that the ticket was roughly 400US$ - for a one hour flight in coach I don't feel this is very cheap.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:10 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
LH substantially devalued their earning scheme as of August of last year... it took MP nearly a year to catch up with the changes, but they went into effect ~June of this year.

(By contrast, other *A carriers made the changes very soon thereafter).
Windflyer, would you mind updating your useful thread with these new changes, please? Are you still maintaining this great thread? I know it's really difficult to keep up with the constant changes and I have to realise that UA is no longer the safe place to credit all my miles to... ...one should really avoid flying LH
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P
It looks like this change went into effect on August 1. On July 29, I still received 500 MP miles for TXL-FRA on LH. (as part of an international itinerary, all in H class)
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:15 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
250 miles even on H class?

I thought the new 250 mile min would only apply to W and maybe V class on LH. Sounds like even H class only earns half the miles compared to last month. Does that mean that all LH Y classes now only earn 250 miles? No info on the UA website yet. These days airlines are really not ashamed to simply introduce changed without any sort of announcement (not even in retrospect).
Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

A good indication is probably what LH is crediting their Miles&More customers:

Y,B: 1,250 (used to be 500 on Mileage Plus - no idea if this changed)
M,H,Q,V,W,S,G,K: 750 (used to be 500 on MP, now 250)
L,T: 125 (nothing on MP)

I'll be flying to FRA next week in B - so I should be able to let you know how many miles I get for that. If it wasn't for my loyalty with UA (and therefore Star Alliance) I would have given up flying on LH a long time ago - apart from not getting miles there service is far worse than BA.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Does this only affect short haul? Or will flights over 500 miles somehow be reduced. What about L class on long haul? Is this posted anywhere on united.com

(sorry to be all about questions today...)
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P
It seems that LH's L fares on longhaul would qualify for MP. But to be honest, I haven't seen those in a while... L and T fares intra-Europe do NOT qualify for miles.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1189,00.html

Please note: no mileage accrual for L/T fares within Europe

Your paid, qualifying miles on most published fares on Lufthansa also count toward eligibility for Mileage Plus elite status.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydfly
Windflyer, would you mind updating your useful thread with these new changes, please? Are you still maintaining this great thread? I know it's really difficult to keep up with the constant changes and I have to realise that UA is no longer the safe place to credit all my miles to... ...one should really avoid flying LH
I have updated WindFlyer's thread here.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

More confusion

I was just flying back from STR to LHR in Q class and got 500 miles from LH. Then I got 250 miles on a trip from LCY to FRA in Y class.

Does this make any sense to anybody? Why would any airline credit you more miles for a cheap ticket than for Y?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sschwenk
I was just flying back from STR to LHR in Q class and got 500 miles from LH. Then I got 250 miles on a trip from LCY to FRA in Y class.

Does this make any sense to anybody? Why would any airline credit you more miles for a cheap ticket than for Y?
STR-LHR perhaps had a stop in FRA or MUC? Thus 250 STR-FRA/MUC and 250 MUC/FRA-LHR?

Or was the flight operated by another carrier? OS or BD maybe?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
BD3197/LH4727 LHR/FRA Q-class = 500 miles

This flight was on 8/7 and just recorded in my MP account.

Bob
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
For my june flights in V,W within Europe I got 500 miles each (Germany-AUstria)
JR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.