Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
15K miles/$200 discount/$250 min. fare

My promo code is MPDA55. That is the 15K miles for $200 off on a $250 minimum purchase exclusive of taxes and fees.

I just might bite. I buy enough domestic transcons (out of my own pocket) that this could be a useful offer.

My main concern is that I might discover the flights I want are ineligible for the cert. The T&Cs DO state "in some instances you may find flights that are not electronic certificate eligible, because they have already been discounted and are less expensive than the electronic certificate eligible flights." Seems like one is buying a pig in a poke.

But with well over 400K redeemable miles in the bank (and believe it or not, I HAVE gone on mileage-burning binges in the not-too-distant past), risking 15K of them on something that may or may not be useful isn't too scary.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As a 1K got the 100$ off with 10 000 miles on minimum 250$ fares as well

Only domestic flights Would have considered it if it was valid in int'l flights
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
My promo code is MPDA55. That is the 15K miles for $200 off on a $250 minimum purchase exclusive of taxes and fees.

I just might bite. I buy enough domestic transcons (out of my own pocket) that this could be a useful offer.

My main concern is that I might discover the flights I want are ineligible for the cert. The T&Cs DO state "in some instances you may find flights that are not electronic certificate eligible, because they have already been discounted and are less expensive than the electronic certificate eligible flights." Seems like one is buying a pig in a poke.
Kathy, I'd love to hear how it works out for you, as I have the same misgivings about the fares I'd be able to use these with. I never did manage to use any of the electronic "% off" certs. I have to spend 10000 miles to get $100.00 off.
Kate
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kykate
Kathy, I'd love to hear how it works out for you, as I have the same misgivings about the fares I'd be able to use these with. I never did manage to use any of the electronic "% off" certs. I have to spend 10000 miles to get $100.00 off.
Kate
Well, when I click on the link in my e-mail that says "To redeem your miles, please click here," all I get is an error page.

So maybe this is just an illusory offer, or United's web gurus have once again demonstrated their exceptional prowess.

Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:55 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I never got the offer

Looks like this was targetted at domestic pax, as I never even received the offer. Wouldn't have looked too attractive anyway given my international travel patterns.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:04 am

I got the $50/3500 miles flavor.
A US SP, no UA status, 17k MP miles year-to-date all on UA metal.
Go figure...
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
Looks like this was targetted at domestic pax, as I never even received the offer.
Based on a sample size of one?

There are other international FTers who did receive the offer and posted on this thread.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Offer received is $50 for 5000 miles.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Who's going to be our guinea pig for this promotion?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
me

I am going to book some tickets later today, try to. I had the 7K, 100$ promo, and will try it on some 225$ SFO_PDX trips.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
Looks like this was targetted at domestic pax, as I never even received the offer. Wouldn't have looked too attractive anyway given my international travel patterns.
I am not sure, I do a mix of domestic and international, but most of my miles are international, and I got one of the offers -- but one of the lousy ones, so I just tossed it!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:33 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Wife and I, both 2P, received this offer.

Hers: 2500 miles for $25 off e-cert, no minimum fare. She has under 25K in MP, concentrating on US DM status this year.
Mine: 15,000 miles for $200 off, minimum $250 fare. I have over 75K in MP.

I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but isn't United offering to buy miles from me? Converting bonus miles into travel credits I can use for flights that earn status miles is a good thing for me, being 100% on my own dime.

I just came back from award travel, and it never fails to bug me when I travel without earning status miles.

I know circumstances vary dramatically between the members of this board, and what makes no sense whatsoever for one may be a good deal for another.

Last edited by hiyosilverwings; Jul 7, 2005 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Well, when I click on the link in my e-mail that says "To redeem your miles, please click here," all I get is an error page.

So maybe this is just an illusory offer, or United's web gurus have once again demonstrated their exceptional prowess.

Later on, the web link started to work. So I purchased one of the $200-off certs (on min. $250 purchase net of taxes, fees) for 15K miles. This morning I got the e-mail with my cert number in it.

Next step is to plug the number into several possible flight itineraries and see if I will truly net any savings. I'll buy more certs if it looks promising enough. @:-)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have loads of miles and will be a MM flyer this month, and no offer!!!

For some reasons, I have not received any targeted promotional offers this year......I feel so lonely and unloved by United.

Is it becasue they know I am going to fly them regardless? I have paid and confirmed reservations through September.
I am still waiting.......
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really, why all the whining?

Some who got a version of the promo whined that it was useless for them. Others who didn't get any version of it whined that they didn't get it. (I'm not imagining this; lots of "thumbs-down" and other disgruntled smilies appear on this thread.)

Sometimes it seems like half the posts on FlyerTalk are either "why wasn't I targeted?" or "what a useless promo I got!" or "it's not fair that status is being diluted!!!"

And I'm NOT gloating about the fact that I was targeted for a good, useful (to me) version of this promo. (It looks very promising so far, based on some test itineraries I've tried with the one cert I've purchased.) I don't get targeted for everything either, but am happy when something good does come my way. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.