Wiki Posts
Search

PB->PA, unpublished benefit for 1Ks?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
PB->PA, unpublished benefit for 1Ks?

The last couple of intl flights I've taken, I've been forced to buy B fares, and thus, decided to use miles to upgrade (since it's cheaper on that fare) and save my SWUs. The first time I completely forgot miles puts you on the PB list, and got to within a week of my SFO->CDG leg without the upgrade clearing. When I finally realized that I was on the PB list, I called and asked the agent to move me to PA. After consulting with a supervisor, she did so.

Next flight, I did the same thing (minus the weeks on the PB list this time). Again, the supervisor OK'd it.

So my question is, am I being lucky and finding kind supervisors or is moving 1Ks onto PA under all circumstances an unpublished benefit?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat LT; Marriott Plat LT; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Gold
My recent experiences with upgrades have involved the CSR's placing me on the PA lists instead of the PB list. One time, original CSR put me on PB, and thus, was on waiting list pergutory. When I called back to check on waitlist clearing, the CSR mentioned that original CSR placed me on the wrong list, and promptly changed it to PA, all without my prompting. So, it seems to me that PA is where they normally put 1K's (using any instrument), PB is where they put you by default/mistake. These are just my own experiences.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I was placed on the PB waitlist by the agent who handled my mileage upgrade award. I called back to reserve the outbound with 500s and the new agent noted I was on the PB, and moved me to the PA. I am a 1P.

I think if the PA WL is lightly loaded, some agents will move you as a courtesy, regardless of status.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CatHerder
The last couple of intl flights I've taken, I've been forced to buy B fares, and thus, decided to use miles to upgrade (since it's cheaper on that fare) and save my SWUs. The first time I completely forgot miles puts you on the PB list, and got to within a week of my SFO->CDG leg without the upgrade clearing. When I finally realized that I was on the PB list, I called and asked the agent to move me to PA. After consulting with a supervisor, she did so.

Next flight, I did the same thing (minus the weeks on the PB list this time). Again, the supervisor OK'd it.

So my question is, am I being lucky and finding kind supervisors or is moving 1Ks onto PA under all circumstances an unpublished benefit?
So, I take it you used miles to guarantee your upgrade, as the B fare would have been upgraded at the gate with space available, no?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thegingerman
So, I take it you used miles to guarantee your upgrade, as the B fare would have been upgraded at the gate with space available, no?
Only within Region 1. Since the OP was traveling to Region 2 the free upgrade on Y/B fares doesn't apply.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
As the saying goes when dealing with United phone support, call call call again until you get what you want. I'll make sure to call until I get someone to put me on the PA list now for any upgrade.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:44 am

Programs: UA Silver
Moving from PB to PA is not a big deal for United. Agents have the right to change it while other *A carriers don't usually give their agents the access to change it.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Is there any way to find out which waitlist you are on without calling?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Gosh I've been flying UA a long time and I don't know what PA and PB stand for or what they mean? But I always get my upgrade so maybe I shouldn't care?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Is there any way to find out which waitlist you are on without calling?

If you have a CRS or GDS, you definitely can check without calling. But if you don't have, calling is the only way.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
If your PNR is visible on www.viewtrip.com, I believe you can see the PA and PB codes. As I recall, travel agency records are generally visible but not United website or phone reservations.

Charles
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:37 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I am guessing this is the United staff in the USA. In China they certainly will not move you from one waitlist to another. Of course I am not yet a 1K.
-UFFA
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Acroynm alert!

OK, help me please.

PA = ?
PB = ?
CRS = ?
GDS = ?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:54 am

PA and PB are levels of pax's priority in a waitlist. CRS and GDS is the program used to make reservations and issue tickets. Unless you're an employee of a carrier or a travel agency, you won't likely have them.

Basically, the order of letter after P indicates your priority.

In other words, PA>PB>PC and something like that.

Last edited by N227UA; Jun 28, 2005 at 11:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.