FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Mini bottles of Dasani water passed out after meal in F BOS-SFO (#181 on 4/10) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/420442-mini-bottles-dasani-water-passed-out-after-meal-f-bos-sfo-181-4-10-a.html)

CMV Apr 11, 2005 12:43 am

Mini bottles of Dasani water passed out after meal in F BOS-SFO (#181 on 4/10)

Title says (almost) all of it. I post it only because it struck me as odd for the following reasons:

1) UA serves Pepsi and Pepsi products (i.e., Aquafina water).
2) I thought this was an int'l F and C perk only.

Has anyone else seen this?

TonySCV Apr 11, 2005 12:49 am

It shows up on p.s. flights - glad to see it's making its way to other transcons as well.

iluv2fly Apr 11, 2005 3:43 am

Originally Posted by CMV
Title says (almost) all of it. I post it only because it struck me as odd for the following reasons:

2) I thought this was an int'l F and C perk only.

Has anyone else seen this?

I wish this were a perk on Int'l C! They certainly pass them out in F, but never in C (AA does, however).

ozstamps Apr 11, 2005 5:07 am

I used to appreciate those little bottles of Geyser in C on 747s.

I now go buy a small bottle of water in airport before each flight, so you can have a sip when half asleep, but stopping handing them out was not a great idea.

Glen

roberto99 Apr 11, 2005 7:36 am

I'm sure that the cost cutting measure of elliminating the small International Business Class water bottles will really cure UA's bottom line problems!

Those idiots!!!!

ozstamps Apr 11, 2005 7:50 am

Taking the 3 tiny bottles of cologne and moisturizer out of each C and F loo on It'l long haul was the height of the insanity.

Smart airlines are adding larger loos to older planes, and of course toiletries are standard, unless you are United. This is MH's newie: ^

http://www.aeromalaysia.com/joule/IMG_7502S.jpg

Glen

TonySCV Apr 11, 2005 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Taking the 3 tiny bottles of cologne and moisturizer out of each C and F loo on It'l long haul was the height of the insanity.

Smart airlines are adding larger loos to older planes, and of course toiletries are standard, unless you are United. This is MH's newie: ^

They're back on p.s. flights, so hopefully they'lll make their way back to international flights as well. Heck - I'm sure they could get them for FREE - what company who makes skin care products wouldn't go for that as a form of advertisement?

SEA_Tigger Apr 11, 2005 8:50 am

Fortunately for me, all of my international C crews checked my water glass so often it was essentially always full, but having your own is nice, as AS hands em out at departure in F for afternoon/evening flights (it's OJ in the morning).

As for saving money by getting rid of the toiletrees, if shedding a bleedin olive saves you umptold millions a year, I imagine getting rid of the toiletrees is the reason UA lost half as much in 2004 as they did in 2003. :D

I guess UA feels like we do - no matter what they do for service or products, when it comes to "hard dollars", we're all going to fly SQ or LH for the girls or the seats, anyway. :rolleyes: So they're catering to the "cheapest upgradeable fare" folks on international just like they cater to the "cheapest fare" folks domestically. :(

indo79 Apr 11, 2005 9:12 am

On a relatively empty flight from PVG-SFO, the FAs have asked pax whether they need a bottle of Crystal Geyser..this was in C.

I also was flight from ORD-DTW 2 weeks ago in F and 2 pax behind me were being overly friendly with one of the FAs and she gave them 2 bottles of water plus some other beverages.

So it does happen, I mean, if they have to throw it away at the end of the flight anyways, why not just pass it on to pax?

someotherguy Apr 11, 2005 9:36 am

Dasani was withrawn from the UK market after press revelations that it was nothing but bottled tapwater destroyed its brand image. Is it different in the US?

ozstamps Apr 11, 2005 9:57 am

Originally Posted by someotherguy

Dasani was withrawn from the UK market after press revelations that it was nothing but bottled tapwater destroyed its brand image. Is it different in the US?

United was the buyer at the distress sale of theat inventory I heard. ;)

qasr Apr 11, 2005 9:59 am

I wish they would give out little water bottles in C. It gets very dehydrating on those longer flights, and I'm sure it can't cost them too much. It also means I get much less upset with the FA's when they don't refill my glass promptly. :)

BenjaminNYC Apr 11, 2005 10:24 am

Originally Posted by roberto99
I'm sure that the cost cutting measure of elliminating the small International Business Class water bottles will really cure UA's bottom line problems!

Those idiots!!!!

Come on now. There are 70+ C seats on a 747. That's a LOT of little water bottles to carry. Not very efficient. I don't mind, as long as they don't run out of water in the big bottles. Plus, it's not that hard to bring a bottle of water on board.

I agree with Oz - taking out the stuff from the loo was D-U-M, dumb. I hope they put the p.s. stuff in long haul flights.

Mrotenfan Apr 11, 2005 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by someotherguy

Aquafina is also nothing but tapwater, filtered by the most advanced filter machine, so as claimed. When there used to be little bottles in C, there were boarded to the pax count; sometimes F/A would place them with other snacks on the snack cart, I've witnessed some people would help themselves several and left others not having any.

qasr Apr 11, 2005 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Come on now. There are 70+ C seats on a 747. That's a LOT of little water bottles to carry. Not very efficient. I don't mind, as long as they don't run out of water in the big bottles. Plus, it's not that hard to bring a bottle of water on board.

I agree with Oz - taking out the stuff from the loo was D-U-M, dumb. I hope they put the p.s. stuff in long haul flights.

Sure, it is 73 half litre bottles of water. Ain't that much in the grand scheme of things. Compare a water bottle to the size/weight tray you are served on in C, of which there is usually 2.

I can't imagine the weight or bulk savings are all that significant on a plane the size ofa 747. Especially since most other airlines do it for their C class pax. BA has a 70 seat J cabin on a 744, and 48 seat J cabin on a 777. They also seem to carry a lot more wine, both in quantity and variety, but that is another thread! ;)