Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Similar to other unnamed carriers , do you think UA would restore 500 mile minimums for their elites?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
[Comments about moderation deleted per FT TOS.]

Maybe keep discussion in the original UA "elimination" thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823719

But to answer you question... I hope so, but we should write, e-mail and call and advise CO has re-instated this for thier elites

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 22, 2008 at 3:23 pm Reason: See above
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
My bet is yes, since AA and now CO has 500 minimums.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goingbananas
It will be interesting since CO and UA have made a number of moves recently that closely align them around mileage minimums and baggage fees.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I was delighted to get 500 miles for a number of LH segments in the past few weeks.

Here's hoping for UA to follow CO's lead in this and move away from following US in *anything*!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by goingbananas
As do the DL/NW combine. And DL mgmt has stated they think keeping the minimum makes sense for Delta.

With 4 of the 6 network carriers having the 500 mile minimum (or 3 of the 5, if you count DL/NW as one) at least for elites (which is what CO did to bring it back - only for elites), UA/US are outliers at the low end now. I think it would behoove UA to move out of the basement in this area, especially with its newest "hot date" (CO) bringing it back.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:13 pm

Na, they won't, because that helps customers, and makes them just a teensy bit happier. That's not how UA rolls.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Similar to other unnamed carriers , do you think UA would restore 500 mile minimums for their elites?
Some of the unnamed carriers also serve better meals (even in Y) and have better lounges, but UA doesn't seem to be following that example either.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite possibly. And to align things even more they will also match those unnamed carrier's international C/F redemption rates by jacking it up by 20-40K.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
here's hoping (and yes, only for elites as it's the little things that keep loyalty)
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
I hope they do, since I'm sure not flying SEA-PDX, or PDX-EUG, on UAX anymore unless they revert. The minimum 500 AS miles, more frequent flights on QX, not to mention the free wine/beer, all are working against my UA loyalty here....
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by tkc98110
I hope they do, since I'm sure not flying SEA-PDX, or PDX-EUG, on UAX anymore unless they revert. The minimum 500 AS miles, more frequent flights on QX, not to mention the free wine/beer, all are working against my UA loyalty here....
Ditto that...

It may not make much sense from and RDM and EQM earning perspective, but I am purchasing my short haul travel solely on price and schedule now and crediting the AA/NW/DL/AS flights to AS Mileage Plan (or in the case of VX, to eleVAte). Sure, I don't earn 1,352 miles (338 x 4) for a SFO-LAX roundtrip (instead I earn 1000 on AA), but the measly mileage difference hardly makes up for the $50+ fare difference. It's funny - before I wouldn't even look at AA or AS for these routes because the EQMs would help me requalify for elite status.

Again, it may not make sense to all FlyerTalkers. But the elimination of 500 mile minimums and plated meals in domestic Business class demonstrates the utter disdain United has for its elites and premium cabin travellers.

And here I thought loyalty programs were supposed to drive...loyalty. Silly me

(btw I don't hold a grudge on this issue - I would be happy to give the short haul business back to UA if it comes to its senses)
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by John26
the measly mileage difference hardly makes up for the $50+ fare difference.
That's interesting, because for 100% of my SFO-LAX trips (6 so far this year), UA has been the cheapest.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I gotta say, I hope this comes back soon. I am doing a hell of a lot of SMF-SFO-XXX connection flights. The 86 miles between SMF and SFO kills me!

And I gotta weigh in...AS has a cool product, but their connections from SMF to points north from there are horrible! 3+ hours on most routes. And UA is usually only $20 or $30 more expensive. And often times, cheaper.
I do like the free beer/wine on-board the Horizon flights tho! That kicks azz! And the Jones Sugar Free Black Cherry soda can't be beat!
Plus, AS doesn't fly n/s to IAD, which is where my family lives. So...come on UA...stop being such cheap schmucks to those of us who swing the true $$$ your way regularly.

PS...I heard CO got rid of the 500 mile minimums too. Did they keep them for elites???
Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by ExCrew
PS...I heard CO got rid of the 500 mile minimums too. Did they keep them for elites???
Yes, they very recently reinstated the 500-mile minimum for elites only, as noted in this thread in the CO forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868551

I have just written to UA asking them to match CO on this, and, like many here, I really hope they do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.