Wiki Posts
Search

Award/Upgrade Algorithm Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Smile Award/Upgrade Algorithm Characteristics

I've been checking upgrade seats for my daughter's trip to/from FRA. It appears to me that the award seats (XC & NC) increase dramatically at about 60 days out. For the last few days I've seen NC go from "0" to "9" on successive days--today (12/17) NC is at "9" for UA 917 on 02/14/05 (FRA-IAD); yesterday it was at "0".

Over the last several days award/upgrade seats have increased from "0" or "1" to "9" on a progressively daily basis. This may be useless knowledge for many folks, but some of the hardcore among us may find it interesting. It may give a clue on when an upgrade may clear, at least for European markets.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:15 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Is the behavior different for a 747 vs. a 777?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redburgundy
Is the behavior different for a 747 vs. a 777?
I've not done an exhaustive scientific study on this isssue, but they seem quite similar in my experience--moreso for upgrades than award seats.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
It may be using a pretty complex yield-management algorithm, not one that can be cracked by looking only at a specific flight on a specific date.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tomwht
I've been checking upgrade seats for my daughter's trip to/from FRA. It appears to me that the award seats (XC & NC) increase dramatically at about 60 days out. For the last few days I've seen NC go from "0" to "9" on successive days--today (12/17) NC is at "9" for UA 917 on 02/14/05 (FRA-IAD); yesterday it was at "0".

Over the last several days award/upgrade seats have increased from "0" or "1" to "9" on a progressively daily basis. This may be useless knowledge for many folks, but some of the hardcore among us may find it interesting. It may give a clue on when an upgrade may clear, at least for European markets.
How do you see NC,XC,NF,XF availability. The availability tool does not show those fare buckets.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
How do you see NC,XC,NF,XF availability. The availability tool does not show those fare buckets.

Read the UA sticky at the top of this forum, and locate ozstamps' excellent " Thread listing all known UA revenue and award booking codes and a summary of each one"

For the lazy, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113792

It tells you what everything means, and how to see it as well.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It may be using a pretty complex yield-management algorithm, not one that can be cracked by looking only at a specific flight on a specific date.
I'm sure it is not a simple algorithm, too. But every day that I check the availability increases, usually from "0" to "9". Hopefully, on 12/31 my daughter's upgrade will come through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.