Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

3-class 757 Transcon Flights Take off Oct 18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3-class 757 Transcon Flights Take off Oct 18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Exclamation 3-class 757 Transcon Flights Take off Oct 18

I just read a WSJ.com (pay site) article on United's new transcon services on the three-class 757. Here are some of the key points in the article:

- Routes: JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO ( 6 daily flights each)
- Thirteen 757 will be outfitted with 110 seats ( 12 F, 26 C and 72Y)
- Handheld personal DVD players provided to F and C customers with choices of 10 films
- All Y are E+
- All seats with laptop plug-ins ^
- International starndard menu for all three cabins
- F seats (68") lay flat; C seats (54") and E+(34")
- Services start October 18, 2004

John Tague, United's Executive VP of Sales and marketing said:"The new, high-end offering on the two transcontinental routes, in planning for more than a year, is the inverse of Ted......it could eventually be applied on a few other routes." ^ ^ ^

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 1, 2004 at 11:00 pm
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite an interesting aircraft.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:10 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I hope they keep certain 763's on the route in addition to these 757's. Although narrow-body it sounds better than the 762's already in service. These could be good for increasing frequency at low-demand times.

It would also be very nice to see this service on SFO/LAX-BOS too.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I just read a WSJ.com (pay site) article on United's new transcon services on the three-class 757. Here are some of the key points in the article:

- Handheld personal DVD players provided to F and C customers with choices of 10 films
- All Y are E+

John Tague, United's Executive VP of Sales and marketing said:"The new, high-end offering on the two transcontinental routes, in planning for more than a year, is the inverse of Ted......it could eventually be applied on a few other routes." ^ ^ ^

Check out my post from January 20

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112289

"Apparently, 13 757s will be reconfigured to 3-class specifications.

That will leave 84 remaining mainline 75s, assuming none of their leases are rejectified."

Did I call it or what?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:40 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
April's fools in August ?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by couscous
April's fools in August ?
No - the article is written by Micheline Maynard. I think it will also be in the NYT, here is a bigger excerpt:
"We're going to keep our eye on the ball and not be distracted by all this noise," Mr. Tague said.

As proof the company is looking forward, United today plans to announce new premium transcontinental service, between New York and Los Angeles and New York to San Francisco, that it calls "p.s." It will fly Boeing 757 jets with 110 seats in three classes - first, business and economy-plus - replacing Boeing 767 jets on those routes that had been outfitted with 168 seats in three classes.

Taking out the seats will allow the airline to offer an atmosphere akin to that of a private jet, Mr. Tague said. First-class seats will convert to lie-flat beds, and there will be more legroom in each cabin.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:50 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
I wonder how this will be sold/marketed? As a premium flight (higher price) than the regular 762's? How many of the 762 flights will be cut?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:00 am

Additionally, the power ports will be standard 110V. No empower -- but in a good way! ^
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:01 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
- All Y are E+
Seriously looking forward to the first time one of these babies gets substituted on a more boring 752 route I fly often (ORD-LAX, ORD-SFO)! ^

Do these things have the engines/range to do transatlantic? (I seem to remember CO doing 752 service EWR-AMS but might be wrong.) Are UA's ETOPS certified or would they have to take the long/slow route hugging the Newfoundland/Greenland/Iceland coasts? As much as I'd hate to cut widebody service transatlantic I wonder if these planes could justify "long thin" international routes from the east coast that may have been cut in the last few years.

When was the last time there was a three-class narrowbody in the UA fleet?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imkeww
That will leave 84 remaining mainline 75s, assuming none of their leases are rejectified.
'Rejectified', is that similar to the English word "rejected"?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by nerd
'Rejectified', is that similar to the English word "rejected"?
Nay, more similar to the past tense of the verb "Tedify".
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold

- All Y are E+

I'm trying to imagine the seat plan. 2 across in F? 3? 3 across in C? Pretty narrow plane to be doing that, though I guess not much smaller than the upper deck of the 744. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:30 am

Instead of turnarounds, if they could only operate them JFK-LAX-HNL and JFK-SFO-HNL....Yeah, right. Just wishful thinking, folks.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:12 am

Programs: CO Gold
I imagine it will be 4 (2-2) seats across in F, 5 (3-2) seats across in C and 6 (3-3) seats across in Y. This will make it so the current 767 seats will fit in the 757 with no problem in all classes.

It would be nice if they made it 3 (1-2) across in F and 4 (2-2) across in C which would be a little more spacious.

Either way, I'm glad we're seeing some upgrades on this premium route. These upgrades should hit JetBlue and other companies flying transcons harder even in Y where every seat is E+ and you will have an international meal selection.

The question is... free booze in Y on these flights since they are getting an "international menu"?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by studentff
Seriously looking forward to the first time one of these babies gets substituted on a more boring 752 route I fly often (ORD-LAX, ORD-SFO)! ^

Do these things have the engines/range to do transatlantic? (I seem to remember CO doing 752 service EWR-AMS but might be wrong.) Are UA's ETOPS certified or would they have to take the long/slow route hugging the Newfoundland/Greenland/Iceland coasts? As much as I'd hate to cut widebody service transatlantic I wonder if these planes could justify "long thin" international routes from the east coast that may have been cut in the last few years.

When was the last time there was a three-class narrowbody in the UA fleet?
CO use 752's on quite a few transatlantic routes, that are considered too marginal to provide widebody service, or where a new route is being started. Current examples include EWR-OSL, EWR-EDI and EWR-LIS. They also serve CLE-LGW IIRC. The CO planes are internationally configured, 2 class aircraft.

AA also started using a 752 on its new BOS-MAN route this summer, but just used a plane with regular domestic LRTC configuration, giving the domestic F seats to frequent flyers and full fares.

If they had enough planes, I could definitely see UA testing the water on new transatlantic routings in the medium term (IAD-DUS is one example that immediately springs to mind). IAD-LIS (to tie in with future *A member TAP Air Portugal) would be another. I stress this is pure speculation on my part though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.