Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did United undercharge me for an award?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
Did United undercharge me for an award?

Hi,

A friend of mine just booked a round-trip U.S. to Dubai F itinerary and only 75k was debited form his account. UA metal. Now, I know he was under-charged in miles.

My question is, was I undercharged by booking the following one-way award in LH F for 67.5k? Or is this just the oddball U.S.-to-Asia-across-the-Atlantic award?

SFO-MUC
MUC-FRA
FRA-KIX

Thanks.

Last edited by jspear; Apr 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I would check to make sure your ticket is issued correctly.

67.5K is the right amount of miles for a first class LH award from the US to Europe. You should have been charged another 80K for Europe -> Japan in first class.

I wonder if your ticket is only valid to MUC. Check and recheck that thing and make sure. Also, make sure LH confirmed both segments.

-RM
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

67.5K is the right amount of miles for a first class LH award from the US to Europe. You should have been charged another 80K for Europe -> Japan in first class.

I wonder if your ticket is only valid to MUC. Check and recheck that thing and make sure. Also, make sure LH confirmed both segments.

-RM
That's incorrect. You can route SFO-KIX via Europe for 67.5K miles o/w. OP, you were charged correctly.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
Right after I got off the phone with United I called LH to select seats, which were assigned for me no problem, then I got the LH locator for the itinerary, so everything looks good as far as I can tell. United.com shows the itinerary as "ticketed and confirmed." Expertflyer shows my chosen seats as occupied. Anything else I can do to verify this?

Originally Posted by United757
That's incorrect. You can route SFO-KIX via Europe for 67.5K miles o/w. OP, you were charged correctly.
That's great, thank you. What a deal.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
Since when?????

Nothing wrong with the OP's route for the correct price as others mentioned.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I have a colleague who redeemed a one way NA-->SE Asia award in F. Only 60k miles were collected, or the equivalent of a C award. Originally one segment was in C, and when we called to change the segment to F, UA caught the mistake, said we would need to pony up an extra 10k, and we did. Miles have yet to be deducted and we have a PNR and seat assignment from all partners on the award.

On a separate occasion, I have another colleague that basically got an award flight for free. Miles were never deducted. This was handled during the PSS switchover, so call it compensation.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc-ord772

On a separate occasion, I have another colleague that basically got an award flight for free. Miles were never deducted. This was handled during the PSS switchover, so call it compensation.

uh oh the Flyertalk UA forum moral police will be on you for this one!

but, seriously, you sure it ticketed? Its been known to happen that it just 'reserved'
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I thought that F award for NA->Asia was 70k and NA->Europe 67.5k? But yes, you can travel NA-Europe-Asia as long as you don't exceed MPM.

I had a similar experience recently. Tried to book LAX-NRT-BKK and decided to take NH->UA connection. Both F and C had saver award available but F was "mixed cabin" because NH didn't have F availability, so clicked C and went to seat selection... UA segment showed F seat map and I was able to select a seat. I went back to flight selection to double check so I'm sure I didn't hit F button. Sure enough, it was ticketed as I/ON with only 60k deducted.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MtRoot
I thought that F award for NA->Asia was 70k and NA->Europe 67.5k? But yes, you can travel NA-Europe-Asia as long as you don't exceed MPM.
67.5 to japan but 70k to asia
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
but, seriously, you sure it ticketed? Its been known to happen that it just 'reserved'
Yeah I'm sure. This award had a lot of manual intervention by UA.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Free is a good price for "reserved" seats you may never be able to occupy. But I ask you what good is an unoccupied seat when you can't pull an Allegiant and charge your passenger for their carry-on luggage?

uh oh the Flyertalk UA forum moral police will be on you for this one!

Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no MPM validation now.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00
67.5 to japan but 70k to asia
Ah, that's right. I missed the KIX part.

There is no MPM validation now.
Really!? Since when?? Time to plan another trip to Asia
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:20 pm

Really!? Since when?? Time to plan another trip to Asia
SHARES can't handle it
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
But SHARES does show some signs of discernment, unfortuantely.

For example, South American direct to South Africa on SA comes out cheaper than South America to South Africa via Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.