Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Possible to cancel award tickets within 24 hours of ticketing without penalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

Hi. As the title says, is it possible to cancel award tickets within 24 hours of initial ticketing without penalty? Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I believe the answer is yes from the same question being asked before.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Straight out of the United CoCs, Rule 135 Section F
F) PASSENGER'S RIGHT TO CANCEL RESERVATIONS.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISIONS OF THE CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE, CUSTOMERS WHO PURCHASE A TICKET IN THE UNITED STATES, WHETHER THROUGH UNITED RESERVATIONS, UNITED'S CITY TICKET OFFICES, AIRPORT TICKET LOCATIONS OR UNITED.COM MAY CANCEL THAT RESERVATION AND RECEIVE A FULL REFUND FOR THE FARE PAID UP TO 24 HOURS FROM THE TIME THE TICKET WAS ISSUED.

Key item -- must have been purchased in the USA (not just united.com)

Note to others -- the CoC have been updated -- new date 11 Dec 2008
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by N227UA
Hi. As the title says, is it possible to cancel award tickets within 24 hours of initial ticketing without penalty? Thanks.
Yes, but if you made it via telephone you will not get the $25 call fee back.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Yes, but if you made it via telephone you will not get the $25 call fee back.
And if you paid a close-in processing fee, that is also non-refundable.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Kind of a similar question I didn't want to start my own thread for...

Is it possible to modify a standard UA (metal) booking to a *A partner saver award if there's availability without having to pay 150$ redeposit fee? The miles I would save by doing so would be used to book another trip...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Straight out of the United CoCs, Rule 135 Section F
F) PASSENGER'S RIGHT TO CANCEL RESERVATIONS.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISIONS OF THE CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE, CUSTOMERS WHO PURCHASE A TICKET IN THE UNITED STATES, WHETHER THROUGH UNITED RESERVATIONS, UNITED'S CITY TICKET OFFICES, AIRPORT TICKET LOCATIONS OR UNITED.COM MAY CANCEL THAT RESERVATION AND RECEIVE A FULL REFUND FOR THE FARE PAID UP TO 24 HOURS FROM THE TIME THE TICKET WAS ISSUED.

Key item -- must have been purchased in the USA (not just united.com)

Note to others -- the CoC have been updated -- new date 11 Dec 2008
When miles come out of an MP account to redeem an award, that amounts to the "purchase" of a ticket and one can expect "a full refund for the fare paid up to 24 hours from the time the ticket was issued"? I'm skeptical, and hence doubt that what you have quoted pertains to miles taken for an award ticket once they have been debited the MP account. Could be wrong, of course, but don't see Rule 135, Section F as proof that I am.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by psychephylax
Kind of a similar question I didn't want to start my own thread for...

Is it possible to modify a UA (metal) booking to a *A partner if there's availability without having to pay 150$ redeposit fee? The miles I would save by doing so would be used to book another trip...
Depends on what you mean by "modifying." If you have in mind changing your departure city, the arrival city, or the routing between them, then I think the answer is "no." If you want to change dates before the start of your travel, then I think it is "yes." If you want to switch carriers (UA metal to a *A partner), not just from UA metal to a UA codeshare with another *A carrier, then I think the answer is "no," that you wouldn't be able to do that without paying the redeposit fee and starting over.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
I was looking at keeping the dates the same but changing from a UA booking to a partner airline in hopes of saving ~80k miles to book another Biz ticket to Europe or some other destination....I'm pretty sure I'd have to do the redeposit and re-book...The question is...Is it worth the hassle and cost?

Was wondering if playing dumb might be to my advantage "Oh I just found out I can use OTHER airlines for award travel!"
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I was looking at keeping the dates the same but changing from a UA booking to a partner airline in hopes of saving ~80k miles to book another Biz ticket to Europe or some other destination....I'm pretty sure I'd have to do the redeposit and re-book...The question is...Is it worth the hassle and cost?

Was wondering if playing dumb might be to my advantage "Oh I just found out I can use OTHER airlines for award travel!"
I doubt this will work.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:41 pm

You will have to redeposit and reticket. It will cost you $175 (redeposit fee + phone ticketing fee) + taxes.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:05 am

You were kidding about the playing dumb try, that it might work, right?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by cepheid
And if you paid a close-in processing fee, that is also non-refundable.

Duh. Pretty bad.

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
You will have to redeposit and reticket. It will cost you $175 (redeposit fee + phone ticketing fee) + taxes.

Then there is no penalty waiver for canceling award tickets within 24 hours of ticketing right?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
The other thing to consider on the award ticket is that you may not have to cancel it -- just postpone it. (I think it would only work if you were to use it for the same routing.) You can always change them without penalty (as long as you avoid the close-in processing fee and award seats are available). If you are likely to book another award ticket for the same destination at some point in the not too distant future, you could just change it to a date 10-11 months from now and then, when you know the real dates you want to travel, change it again.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
..Key item -- must have been purchased in the USA (not just united.com)..
I know - other than the DEQM asymmetry, this is about the ugliest change UA brought upon us frequent flyers from abroad .

In combination with uneducated CSRs abroad this makes for a nice lack of upfaring and refaring options .

Now we do not only have more fare class restrictions but also much less flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.