Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1k650
How high are you going on the PS routes? U? B? Y?
My V,W,S fares have all cleared a month out on PS (SFO-JFK) this year.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Without even addressing the fact that we are always in the dark if upgradeable seats are available and if upgradeable seats are available will they then be used to upgrade for sure, I can unequivocally state that I am not buying higher fares in order to increase the chances for using my GPUs ( SWUs using the old term ) simply for the fact that the difference between the W fares and "regular" fares is so drastically high that it is not worth for me to play the lottery game. Someone said 40 percent higher, I have seen more. With "discount" fares far from being discount any longer, paying higher prices for uncertain results is just wrong.
Good Logic! Surprisingly though, as you can see in this thread, may people will buy Y, B, M and H fares even when W is available to increase their chances of an upgrade.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Without even addressing the fact that we are always in the dark if upgradeable seats are available and if upgradeable seats are available will they then be used to upgrade for sure, I can unequivocally state that I am not buying higher fares in order to increase the chances for using my GPUs ( SWUs using the old term ) simply for the fact that the difference between the W fares and "regular" fares is so drastically high that it is not worth for me to play the lottery game. Someone said 40 percent higher, I have seen more. With "discount" fares far from being discount any longer, paying higher prices for uncertain results is just wrong.
True...I saw L fare is $1050 for the cheapest and W fare is $1750 for GPU. I am not sure if it's worthy of price differentials for lottery upgrades.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AAEXP 2MM, UA 0.9MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
Not just "no," but "heck no." The upgrades aren't worth that much, especially since it's a gamble.

I won't even buy up from K/L to W on International flights anymore.
I agree, primarily out of principle. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars extra for something I have no guarantee of receiving. I especially would not do it with company or client money.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
How high are you going on the PS routes? U? B? Y?
Booked one V/U and the other U/U
Old May 8, 2012, 2:05 pm
In Memoriam

buyup

I personally don't think that the firm "buyup" is worth the "chance" of an upgrade. I just don't think that it is money well spent.

wwbgd
Old May 8, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by WWBGD
I personally don't think that the firm "buyup" is worth the "chance" of an upgrade. I just don't think that it is money well spent.

wwbgd
I would note that I was the last UG to clear off the WL on my last IAD>LAX flight which was booked in to U. It was a 777 new config. I was amazed that a 1K on a U fare barely cleared given what the J cabin looked like a week out, but such is life! And yes, I could have booked below U at booking.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by WWBGD
I personally don't think that the firm "buyup" is worth the "chance" of an upgrade. I just don't think that it is money well spent..
From here I am luck if I can get a W after all. And then Bs are a mere 30% more, so if the contract permits it, I try to book B. But only to get the 50% EQM bonus.

Once upgrades from B fares do not clear anymore, I think that I will be pretty much done with flying COdbaUA.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
Once upgrades from B fares do not clear anymore, I think that I will be pretty much done with flying COdbaUA.
I am flying EWR-LHR in a few days. Bought a "B" fare to improve my chances for using a Systemwide.

If it doesn't clear, I certainly won't do it again.
Old May 14, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
On SFO->LHR, I usually buy a somewhat higher fare than the minimum to increase my chances. Yes, it's a few hundred $$'s each time, but then usually I get the upgrade too. It takes a lot of these higher fare increments to equal the $4500 cost of even one Z fare, so I think I come out safely ahead over time, assuming that I'm desperate to fly in business class.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I am flying EWR-LHR in a few days. Bought a "B" fare to improve my chances for using a Systemwide.

If it doesn't clear, I certainly won't do it again.
I am so pissed at UA I had to wait a couple of days to write this.

Short response is that my upgrade, as a 1K on a "B" fare, did not clear.

Longer answer is what really gets me fuming.

I check-in 24-hours in advance. Site makes me think I have checked-in, but I haven't. CO, I mean UA, has to see my passport first. I have flown how many legs with you on this passport? Hello!

So I am not on the upgrade list because I am not checked-in (checked on the mobile app). Thanks UA.

Get to the airport and check-in. Get my boarding pass and go to the lounge.

STILL not on the upgrade list. I go up to the service desk at The United Club (stupid name for a club). What's the problem? They don't know. They fiddle with the computer for 10-minutes and tell me everything is fine.

I shoot up to the top of the upgrade list.

Business checks in full. I sit in Y for the trans-Atlantic flight.

It was a 757. What kind of second-rate airline flies trans-Atlantic into slot controlled Heathrow in a 757? That would be CO--I mean UA.

I buy my ticket a month in advance and every seat in C is open. I buy a B fare. I earned and pledge a Systemwide.

And I sit in Y.

Screw you, United. Never again.

To the arrogant and judgmental pundits who will say, "If you want to sit in C, buy C," grow-up and join the adult world.

I earn Systemwides to use them. I assume UA gives them to me to use them. I buy a B fare to improve my chances of using them and give UA a lot more money. I am a 1KMM. I fly UA a lot (although not as much as I used to).

UA should have released a seat in advance and cleared me in this situation.

Good for them. They sold all the seats. And they lost me as a customer if there another alternative on the route. That loss will be a LOT more than the incremental amount they made on that one-way fare between B and C fares.

I'm flying home tomorrow. On BA now. Paid C upgraded to F. Screw you United. And the horse you flew in on.

Last edited by Always Flyin; May 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reason: Added aircraft type.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I am so pissed at UA I had to wait a couple of days to write this.

Short response is that my upgrade, as a 1K on a "B" fare, did not clear.

Longer answer is what really gets me fuming.

I check-in 24-hours in advance. Site makes me think I have checked-in, but I haven't. CO, I mean UA, has to see my passport first. I have flown how many legs with you on this passport? Hello!

So I am not on the upgrade list because I am not checked-in (checked on the mobile app). Thanks UA.

Get to the airport and check-in. Get my boarding pass and go to the lounge.

STILL not on the upgrade list. I go up to the service desk at The United Club (stupid name for a club). What's the problem? They don't know. They fiddle with the computer for 10-minutes and tell me everything is fine.

I shoot up to the top of the upgrade list.

Business checks in full. I sit in Y for the trans-Atlantic flight.

It was a 757. What kind of second-rate airline flies trans-Atlantic into slot controlled Heathrow in a 757? That would be CO--I mean UA.

I buy my ticket a month in advance and every seat in C is open. I buy a B fare. I earned and pledge a Systemwide.

And I sit in Y.

Screw you, United. Never again.

To the arrogant and judgmental pundits who will say, "If you want to sit in C, buy C," grow-up and join the adult world.

I earn Systemwides to use them. I assume UA gives them to me to use them. I buy a B fare to improve my chances of using them and give UA a lot more money. I am a 1KMM. I fly UA a lot (although not as much as I used to).

UA should have released a seat in advance and cleared me in this situation.

Good for them. They sold all the seats. And they lost me as a customer if there another alternative on the route. That loss will be a LOT more than the incremental amount they made on that one-way fare between B and C fares.

I'm flying home tomorrow. On BA now. Paid C upgraded to F. Screw you United. And the horse you flew in on.
Wow - what a story! UA will sell a C seat anytime over giving it away as upgrade - but in your case, the problem seems to be that you were never able to get on the UG list till very late. How much was the B fare differential from the cheapest that you could have bought?
Old May 26, 2012, 11:52 pm

Wow - what a story! UA will sell a C seat anytime over giving it away as upgrade - but in your case, the problem seems to be that you were never able to get on the UG list till very late. How much was the B fare differential from the cheapest that you could have bought?
I'm not sure. At least $800.00.

I'm not sure if I am more mad at United or at myself for being so naive.

Sure won't be again.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure. At least $800.00.

I'm not sure if I am more mad at United or at myself for being so naive.

Sure won't be again.
At that price difference, you could not be far away from a Z fare - and a confirmed business class on whatever carrier you want! I am moving away from playing the UG lottery - which is becoming impossible for routes from EWR and SFO - and giving my money to any carrier that I can get a cheap price on for a Z fare.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Due to the system error that forces us to manually check R inventory and call in to manually upgrade there is no longer any incentive to buy a B fare. Stick with W and you'll have exactly the same upgrade chance ... Meaning you will have to check R yourself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.