Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Have you checked out sbm12 / Wandering Aramean's newly updated tool?

Hopefully will make the process easier for you.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ta-and-united/

Do you use expertflyer or KVS?
Looks great, but is there a reason why IAD isn't listed?!?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Here's the priority:
Note no distinction between the GPU/RPUs/Mileage upgrades, except that they all happen BEFORE CPUs (the third bullet).
GPU and miles + cash on an international flight are equivalent?

It seems like cash rules. On an SFO-ICN leg early last year as 2P I paid less than $800 for an upgrade from discount coach to business with SWUs not clearing. Not apples to apples but $$ seem to rule when in the equation.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Michael D
It seems like cash rules. On an SFO-ICN leg early last year as 2P I paid less than $800 for an upgrade from discount coach to business with SWUs not clearing. Not apples to apples but $$ seem to rule when in the equation.
You highlight an excellent point: All the instrument supported upgrades and CPU's don't matter a damn if all of the upgrade seats have been sold ahead of time!

We'll see if the new system influences elites to just go ahead and buy C(Z) or F(A) more often, or do as you did and take the upgrade upsell offer.

Or begin to look at alternative airlines...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
GPU and miles + cash on an international flight are equivalent?
Equivalent within the same status and fare paid, yes.

So if you have two 1Ks, one upgrading from W with GPU and the other from K with miles, the W fare would always win because it's the higher fare paid.

In the case where two 1Ks, one upgrading from W with GPU and the other from V with miles, the V fare would win.

So yes, equivalent... but not everyone using miles would necessarily be at the same fare as those using GPUs.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Cuse44
Nope. For Y class tickets, "space available" means any first class seat (F>0). For B and M class tickets, "space available" means any first class seat in the PN bucket (PN>0). PN is a subset of P (which is a discount first class fare).

However, both of these usually have much better availability than R/RN class (bucket for CPUs (old NC/NF)) on UA.
So if there is no "NC" space for a SWU upgrade I could look for a M fare, as a 1K, and if there is PN=1 I could book the M fare and get the Instant Upgrade? Do I have to do this at the 1K desk or can I do this on line? I have a hard time finding M fares as a option.
Thanks

I don't know how I'll remember all the new fare classes
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, VS Silver, HY Diamond, HI Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mmack
Oh, I'm certain we'll be beaten into submission, and soon enough we'll be reciting the alphabet by fare class letter instead of "A, B, C..."
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
So if there is no "NC" space for a SWU upgrade I could look for a M fare, as a 1K, and if there is PN=1 I could book the M fare and get the Instant Upgrade? Do I have to do this at the 1K desk or can I do this on line? I have a hard time finding M fares as a option.
Thanks

Agree on the fare class confusion! I have bookmarked sbm12's wiki / site so I can easily refer to it.

I believe the instant upgrades are only offered domestically (USA). Somebody will correct me if I am wrong...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe the instant upgrades are only offered domestically (USA). Somebody will correct me if I am wrong...
They are available on all flights where CPUs (aka UDU/EUA) are permitted. There are many international flights that are included in that pool.
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Looks great, but is there a reason why IAD isn't listed?!?
This one caused me a bit of panic as I know that IAD is on the list to be included in the daily data feeds.

It turns out that one of my servers got out of sync time-wise so the data pull for today didn't happen on that server. That happens to be the one that covers IAD. It should be there tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by sbm12

There is no instant-up from C->F. If you mean the SUW/miles inventory for C->F that should be ON for all customers.
I meant Y to C for instant upgrades. Will that still be NC ?

You highlight an excellent point: All the instrument supported upgrades and CPU's don't matter a damn if all of the upgrade seats have been sold ahead of time!

We'll see if the new system influences elites to just go ahead and buy C(Z) or F(A) more often, or do as you did and take the upgrade upsell offer.

Or begin to look at alternative airlines...
This is the crucial point - none of the fare classes or status (except GS) will matter if F/C seats are sold as TOD upsells - cash always has the highest priority. I guess we will learn to buy Z or A more often, or buy the lowest fare and use the TOD upsell. Now, if they only prioritize the TOD upsells by status and fare paid...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1k650
I meant Y to C for instant upgrades. Will that still be NC ?
No.

Originally Posted by sbm12
You need PN for a B or M upgrade and JN for a Y upgrade.
It doesn't matter if the plane is 2-cabin or 3-cabin for the instant-ups as they bump up only one cabin and the fare bucket in use is the same.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by 1k650
This is the crucial point - none of the fare classes or status (except GS) will matter if F/C seats are sold as TOD upsells - cash always has the highest priority. I guess we will learn to buy Z or A more often, or buy the lowest fare and use the TOD upsell. Now, if they only prioritize the TOD upsells by status and fare paid...
If you eliminate 'TOD' from your post, then I agree with you 100%. Yes, there will be upsells. No, I don't believe TOD is a valid threat.

But please, don't turn this in to a 'CO sells upgrades out from under elites for TOD's' thread...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
If you eliminate 'TOD' from your post, then I agree with you 100%. Yes, there will be upsells. No, I don't believe TOD is a valid threat.

But please, don't turn this in to a 'CO sells upgrades out from under elites for TOD's' thread...
I certainly hope you are right - but look at the real-life experiences (below)...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...k-upgrade.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-thread.html

Bit you are right - lets bring this thread back to the topic.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try to judge relative fullness of E+ compared to E- to make my decision.
I guess, to judge, how elite-heavy the flight is?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I guess, to judge, how elite-heavy the flight is?
Exactly. Thinking that elites I am competing with (1Ks, GS) would typically not book E-.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. Thinking that elites I am competing with (1Ks, GS) would typically not book E-.
Interesting approach. But, how telling is that, given that many non-1Ks/GS also get to book E+? Any way to screen that as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.