Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
This is probably why my UA.com booked flight this week now shows up as a CO flight with operated by UA. Sadly there is no indicator for UDU like pending or wait listed for my flight Wed. Called 1P line and they tell me I booked on CO, I say nope, never booked on CO in my life, your changeover messing with UA bookings. She says that I am on the UG list for CO. Too bad I do not have any status on CO until after the changeover. Very strange and frustrating!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mirage47
This is probably why my UA.com booked flight this week now shows up as a CO flight with operated by UA. Sadly there is no indicator for UDU like pending or wait listed for my flight Wed. Called 1P line and they tell me I booked on CO, I say nope, never booked on CO in my life, your changeover messing with UA bookings. She says that I am on the UG list for CO. Too bad I do not have any status on CO until after the changeover. Very strange and frustrating!
Um, if you have your UA account number listed, then you do have status on CO. You could even link your UA account and your CO account so that you would have CO status (if you wanted to put your CO account number on the flight).
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have a few issues with this thread... first it's supposed to be a list of changes, but it's only on the negative side, nothing positive - surely there must be positives that are gained from moving to this system (other than just cost).

Second, the list of issues noted in the OP are not specific enough to understand if they are a system limitation or an airline policy. It's possible that system limitations could be resolved with the changeover, it could also be an upgrade point. It's also possible that policies could be reviewed/changed.

I understand this is a list of "expected changes", so tough for any of us to know what the actual post-changeover system will look like without inside knowledge. Due to this, it's imperative to emphasize that most of the items are based on speculation and not fact. Or it may even be better to highlight this is current-state CO compared to current-state UA rather than to portray it as future state UA.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anybody know?

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Basic question: What is "SHARES"?
Anybody have a quick answer to this or a link that explains this?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
...the core of the PMCO reservations system (SHARES)...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Basic question: What is "SHARES"?
Please correct me if I am wrong, I am sure many of you know more about this than I do. I got this info from a job I interviewed for with UA about year back, which involved merging the CO and US systems. I withdrew my application as they had no time line as to when the job would start, or how long the job would last, and I had another client with a fixed start date.

Basically SHARES is a fight management system running on a mainframe using IBM DBMS software developed in 1983. The system has been modified to the point it is no longer supported, so all development and testing must be done in house. SHARES has a user interface, which they have enhanced far beyond what the delivered Green Screen can do, however it does not operate off of any real time database triggers, requires a lot of manual work, and any process/jobs must be scheduled and run on the mainframe during certain maintenance windows.

Most carriers are now using ERP systems, which are running on modern servers, not mainframes, and do not require the system to be borough down for processing windows, and do not require everything to be done by jobs submitted on the ever. Modern ERP systems can manage costumer information and update accounts in real time based on triggers. Several ERPs still use jobs and job sets to schedule certain batches as too many real time processes can effect system performance.

I am under the impression that PMUA uses a modern ERP system, however significant licensing fees are paid to be abel to use this system, while SHARES is no longer supported, and thus has no licensing fees.

Again, this is what I gathered from interviewing with them, they could have been feeding me BS, they may not have been. They never told me any of this information is confidential, so there ya go.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by emanon256
Again, this is what I gathered from interviewing with them, they could have been feeding me BS, they may not have been. They never told me any of this information is confidential, so there ya go.
You interviewed with them? Perhaps their programmer is nearing retirement age.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by joel67
You interviewed with them? Perhaps their programmer is nearing retirement age.
LOL

They were looking for some independent consultants with experience in linking mainframes to ERP systems, but they didn't seem to know what exactly they wanted or when they wanted it.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I have a few issues with this thread... first it's supposed to be a list of changes, but it's only on the negative side, nothing positive - surely there must be positives that are gained from moving to this system (other than just cost).
Maybe it's because the changes we've heard about are perceived as negative from the customer POV. I don't see anyone stopping someone else from weighing in with the positive aspects of adopting SHARES. If there are any, I'd be interested in knowing what they are.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Maybe it's because the changes we've heard about are perceived as negative from the customer POV. I don't see anyone stopping someone else from weighing in with the positive aspects of adopting SHARES. If there are any, I'd be interested in knowing what they are.
I'm confused... we've heard confirmation of changes from a customer POV? I thought this was just a listing of the differences between PMUA and PMCO systems and policies, but if there are actually confirmed changes I'd love to hear them!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PLT
I'm confused... we've heard confirmation of changes from a customer POV? I thought this was just a listing of the differences between PMUA and PMCO systems and policies, but if there are actually confirmed changes I'd love to hear them!
At this point we don't have much (if any) hard info about what the system will or will not do once the cutover happens. Hence the rampant speculation.

Based on what we do know, there's a widely-shared assumption among PMUA FTers that the changes will not be for the better. It would be great if we could get some actual info sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Confirmed that award tickets can't be booked at a ticket counter after conversion to SHARES.

For what it's worth, the GUI based front-end to SHARES that US Airways uses seems to work pretty nicely. In my opinion, integrating the two systems before this is ready is a mistake.

On the other hand, UA agents will gain faster typing skills--I swear some of the CO agents are cranking out 100 WPM when they're using SHARES.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Barring new developments, I think it's fair to assume that PMCO systems & policies listed by channa are what we'll be dealing with come March changeover. We can all hope they'll improve over time, but this is what we'll most likely be stuck with - only smart practice to familiarize oneself with the limitations/changes - I've learned all about the joy of WL'd upgrades, EUA, etc.

Resounding silence on positive changes/aspects of SHARES - ability to have travel credits online is great, but not familiar with anything besides that.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Um, if you have your UA account number listed, then you do have status on CO. You could even link your UA account and your CO account so that you would have CO status (if you wanted to put your CO account number on the flight).
I set up a CO acct and then linked them about a month ago, so that is not an issue I don't think. My issue is that I booked on UA.com and it shows with a booking on CO. When I log into my CO acct, no status. When I view this itinerary on CO, no mirage47 on the upgrade list. Never had a problem on UA itins in the past and always showed up as pending or waitlisted. Just shows me the troubles they are having with combining systems and members. I suspect this is the same for other low tier elites when booking on .com(1P is now pretty low on the combined airline). Just my 2 cents as I rarely get ug'd out of ORD anyway. Rant over
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I find the OP's post downright scary. I decided to wait and see how the merger shakes out; but if this becomes our new reality, it will push me to a new airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.