Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

You have the Premium Cabin Upsell (PCU) which will net you extra EQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if you are prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.

Upgrade For Cash (UFC)
is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will NOT give you the extra EQM's.

To make it easy to follow simply list:

what route
original fare bucket
price offered
PCU/UFC?
Where it was offered/accepted

Accept it?^
Deny it?

For easy reference here is the 2011 thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...1-edition.html

Last edited by schley; Dec 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
2 award seats in C for SFO-JFK PS, offered upgrade to F for $450 each, declined. op-up at the gate to F ^^^ ... this was Dec 24, and both F and C cabins were half full.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

PCU offer after purchase iad-bah on 1/5
Offered Y-C upgrade $1050
Declined

On M fare and used a SWU which cleared immediately. If it was a double upgrade and my SWU was waitlisted I would have done it. BTW new config on this route it seems now for the most part at least early January.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Ord-lhr 2/21 ua958 y(w)->c $999
gva-iad 3/16 ua790 y(w)->c $999
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Has anyone been offered UFC on NRT-SIN? I thought I had read something in the 2011 thread (or somewhere) about UFCs possibly being prohibited by Japanese law, but I can't find the reference.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RevvedUp
Has anyone been offered UFC on NRT-SIN? I thought I had read something in the 2011 thread (or somewhere) about UFCs possibly being prohibited by Japanese law, but I can't find the reference.
I have had paid upgrades at check in and at the gate ex-NRT to North America, so evidently not a legal restriction issue.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: nobody
Ua offered PCU from XC to F for $990 on NRT - ORD. Do you think this will get you miles on the trip?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Rec'd a PCU e-mail for my flight (UA907 SFO-ORD, 1/7/12, 3 cabin 67)

U/g is waitlisted
$65 buy-up to C
Fare bucket W
Flight is F4,C9,NF2,NC0 and showing 7 seats unassigned* in C and 5 in F
Declined**

*I know the seat map is not a good indication

**it's a matter of principle with me when it comes to paying cash to upgrade when I'm already on the waitlist

Last edited by goalie; Jan 3, 2012 at 10:09 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Ua offered PCU from XC to F for $990 on NRT - ORD. Do you think this will get you miles on the trip?
Not unless there is a hickup in the system

EmailKid
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goalie

U/g is waitlisted
$65 buy-up to C
Fare bucket W
Declined**

**it's a matter of principle with me when it comes to paying cash to upgrade when I'm already on the waitlist
Just $65 for Y->C for SFO-ORD while you are still on waitlist??!?!?! And on a 3-class plane no less? That is a steal if that is also offered to non-status flyers (especially those checking bags anyways) as a travel option or at check-in. And also very disturbing.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Just $65 for Y->C for SFO-ORD while you are still on waitlist??!?!?! And on a 3-class plane no less? That is a steal if that is also offered to non-status flyers (especially those checking bags anyways) as a travel option or at check-in. And also very disturbing.
Bolding mine: Hammer hits nail on the head.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

So you are inside your UDU window and have gone to waitlisted or did you sponsor with a CR1 previously? Not that it matters much as you were waitlisted either way.

The 65 buy up is the smallest I have heard for a route that long. I doubt even the economy plus is less than that. Great buy up for someone unfortunately who may think the same as me and you maybe SOL for this route. This isn't how the system should work at all. It would be nice if UA gave some indication on how PCU works. It is a threat to any elite with confirmable upgrade instruments.

U/g is waitlisted
$65 buy-up to C
Fare bucket W
Declined**

Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Interesting. I'm also flying SFO-ORD on 1/7, although I'm on UA 734.
Fare bucket W.
PCU of $300 is on offer on .bomb.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
LAX-SFO (L)
SFO-PDX (L)

$99 each segment
PCU via my reservation

I'm good thanks.

Applied expiring SWU on the flights couple of days ago (Jan 4?). Unfortunately I waited too long and NF disappeared LAX-SFO, for now.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jan 6, 2012 at 8:29 am Reason: New information
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Bolding mine: Hammer hits nail on the head.
jesus... agree 100%. that offer is just brutal, basically the price of 2 checked bags, for a lie-flat premium cabin on a 4-hour flight and all the premier travel perks.

hope you clear your waitlist. but i wouldn't be surprised if you don't. lord knows i'd pay for it as a GM or a 1K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.