Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access and moving between terminals@ LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold

Hi! I'm a UA 1P, I'll be flying in from LHR (in C) connecting domestically with a long layover, does anyone know if
a) I'm entitled to use the UA Clubs? (CO says departing intl. only, but I've accessed SFO lounge arriving on LH F)
b) If it's possible to move between terminals to use to the Air New Zealand or the Air Canada lounge? (both also look much more appealing than the UA Club).
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
a. If you are not continuing on to another flight, you will not have lounge access at LAX. You can always try to get into the UC but chances are it won't happen.
b. If you are not continuing on, no way. If you are continuing on, you might be able to, but don't count on it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Yes I'm flying connecting domestically on UAX, arriving in C on UA from LHR.
How do you move between terminals though?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:42 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Edited to remove the information I thought was correct.

See the OP's update below:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17660926-post12.html

Last edited by JeffS; Dec 20, 2011 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
Yes I'm flying connecting domestically on UAX, arriving in C on UA from LHR.
How do you move between terminals though?
You have to clear security at your first arrival into the US. At LAX, UA has customs and immigration in Terminal 7 but I think some flights during peak hours arrive at the Bradley (International) terminal. Either way you will then need to re-clear security. There is no concept like transiting in the US. Once in the domestic terminal 6, 7 and 8 are all connected so you can move about within those three areas.

As for access to the lounge someone else should be able to advise you.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You will be able to access the United Club in LAX as a *Gold. I did last week and have done so on several occasions before, flying in from LHR and connecting domestically. You should have your (used) boarding pass available to show the agent, together with your connecting *A boarding pass. I always simply say that I'm connecting from an international flight as I hand them over and have never had any problem. It works whether the domestic connecting flight is before or after the international flight, as long as they are on the same ticket.

This is the link in the UA website
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ne-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Getting past security is not guaranteed in Terminal 2; I've talked my way past it before by either telling them I needed to use the "international lounge" in T2, or presenting a domestic boarding pass that was printed by NZ. Worked both times. YMMV.

Actually getting into the MLL/KL would need either a Star Lounge compatible club membership, or a a Star Gold designation on a boarding pass (doesn't matter if domestic or not).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Lots of complicated replies, so let me try to be very clear. As a 1P coming off an international flight, you can use the United Club or any *A lounge. However, you'll be stuck in the United domestic terminal, which has only the UC, so that's it for you.

The other lounges are not connected to UA's domestic terminal airside. Enjoy the packaged cheese.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:40 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
You will be able to access the United Club in LAX as a *Gold. I did last week and have done so on several occasions before, flying in from LHR and connecting domestically. You should have your (used) boarding pass available to show the agent, together with your connecting *A boarding pass. I always simply say that I'm connecting from an international flight as I hand them over and have never had any problem. It works whether the domestic connecting flight is before or after the international flight, as long as they are on the same ticket.

This is the link in the UA website
When arriving, you don't need to show your onward boarding pass, only the used C boarding pass, unless they ask to see it (they never have with me).

When departing, you'll need to show both domestic BP and int'l C BP.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Joshua
Actually getting into the MLL/KL would need either a Star Lounge compatible club membership, or a a Star Gold designation on a boarding pass (doesn't matter if domestic or not).
I've read scattered reports on this forum of people with *G cards and domestic *A boarding passes being turned away at international lounges at LAX -- "how did you get here??"
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

For the record

So here's what I found yesterday connecting from Intl. UA to Domestic UA with a UA*G Card.

1) TSA were fine to let me in to any terminal regardless of UA BP.

2) AC Maple Leaf was fine to let me in; only reminded me to watch the time to go back to T7 to make my connection. (To be honest though it wasn't that much of a step up from the UA Club in terms of quality)

3) NZ Koru Club did not let me in: only *departing* INTL., they have sign outside directing any *G customers to the AC lounge. I wonder if the fact that they contract out the lounge to Virgin has something to do with this..

4) US Club did not let me in: usual UA/US/CO members have to be *departing* intl. spiel.. not that I expected otherwise, or wanted to access the US club

5) Star Lounge did let me in.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks for the update and I have edited my post upthread since I was mistaken on the access to T2 without a T2 BP.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
1) TSA were fine to let me in to any terminal regardless of UA BP.
Very interesting data point; one time I got into T2 by saying "I want to use the lounges up there" and showing them my US Airways Club card. The TSO decided I was worthy to enter T2, but mentioned I might not be so lucky in the future.

2) AC Maple Leaf was fine to let me in; only reminded me to watch the time to go back to T7 to make my connection. (To be honest though it wasn't that much of a step up from the UA Club in terms of quality)
Entry into the MLL is a published benefit for both United Club and US Airways Club members and the matrons there seem to be used to folks like us gamboling our way into the MLL. One of them greeted me with "You're welcome to come see us any time as a US Airways Club member". Thus, it's not surprising they follow the correct procedure for *G customers.

3) NZ Koru Club did not let me in: only *departing* INTL., they have sign outside directing any *G customers to the AC lounge. I wonder if the fact that they contract out the lounge to Virgin has something to do with this..
Correct. I arrived into LAX on NZ in a premium cabin and was departing on C in domestic F class. The NZ KL dragon told me in no uncertain terms that Koru is not an arrivals lounge, but decided to let me in anyway. Perhaps he had mercy when he saw that my connecting flight didn't leave for about 8 hours.

4) US Club did not let me in: usual UA/US/CO members have to be *departing* intl. spiel.. not that I expected otherwise, or wanted to access the US club
The US club is used to US customers attempting to talk their way in, and the club is also extremely small. (However, it's my 2nd favourite US club, the first being the former Envoy clup in PHL terminal A.)

5) Star Lounge did let me in.
Quite interesting. Out of curiousity, what domestic ticket were you holding for your ongoing flight?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA1K
it's common to be able to get into different terminals with a boarding pass. i've done it. now getting into TBIT, i'm not sure they would let you through, but who knows?!?

i'm curious how the MLL compares with the RCC at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.