Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-route to new termination city possible?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Re-route to new termination city possible?

Flying PEK-SFO-SEA and then renting a car and driving back up from SEA to YVR on Sunday November 27, 2011

My SFO-SEA leg is all 0'ed out

Need to be back in YVR Sunday afternoon, so taking a bump is not an option, but was wondering whether in the event the SFO-SEA is overbooked, if it is possible for United to re-route me SFO-YVR

Checked United and the SFO-YVR flight on UA metal is wide open

If this is possible, this would need to be done at the gate, and at the gate agent's discretion? I assume to increase my chances of being re-routed in this fashion I should probably not check-in any bags?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Flying PEK-SFO-SEA and then renting a car and driving back up from SEA to YVR on Sunday November 27, 2011

My SFO-SEA leg is all 0'ed out

Need to be back in YVR Sunday afternoon, so taking a bump is not an option, but was wondering whether in the event the SFO-SEA is overbooked, if it is possible for United to re-route me SFO-YVR

Checked United and the SFO-YVR flight on UA metal is wide open

If this is possible, this would need to be done at the gate, and at the gate agent's discretion? I assume to increase my chances of being re-routed in this fashion I should probably not check-in any bags?
It would definitely be at the agent's discretion. If you want to do this voluntarily and your flight is not overbooked to the point where they are going to bump people you'd technically have to pay the $150 change fee and any fare difference. But at the airport they do have discretion to do it for you free, or for the change fee only. I wouldn't count on free unless they need you as a volunteer.

You definitely should not check any bags if you want to try.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You definitely should not check any bags if you want to try.
I don't really think OP has a choice here (unless this is a MR).

OP is connecting from international destination.

How about rebooking to Alaska and ORC?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by garykung
I don't really think OP has a choice here (unless this is a MR).
There's always a choice. Unless I need to take dive gear or a tux, everything fits in one 22" rollaboard.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

It'll be tight but I'm only in PEK for 7 days, and I can probably cram everything into a carry-on bag.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's always a choice. Unless I need to take dive gear or a tux, everything fits in one 22" rollaboard.
My tux does, too.

I did PEK, NRT, SEA and LAX for a 10 day trip in a backpack. Wasn't even all that difficult.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA1K
it's possible, but clearly at the discretion of the GA. if you checked bags, well, then you probably have no shot.

i was supposed to do BWI-DEN-OAK back in june. BWI-DEN was oversold, so i had her to BWI-LAX-SFO instead since that was easier for me.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:48 pm
smn

If they need volunteers, they'll pretty much give you whatever you want. I had a SEA-EWR-ABE (on CO) flight and took a bumb and got them to reroute me to SEA-PHL direct on US (which saved me from skipping a segment and taking the train from EWR-Philly )
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by smn
If they need volunteers, they'll pretty much give you whatever you want. I had a SEA-EWR-ABE (on CO) flight and took a bumb and got them to reroute me to SEA-PHL direct on US (which saved me from skipping a segment and taking the train from EWR-Philly )
+1, I was on a trip with mrs_1780 a few years back, our ORD-DTW segment was oversold (apparently becase of 2 mechanics who had to get to DTW NRPS. They rerouted mrs_1780 to MBS, and put me on a flight to LAN.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I suppose it is possible, but it is a labor-intensive transaction, especially on a partially-used ticket, where new int'l taxes are coming into play.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I suppose it is possible, but it is a labor-intensive transaction, especially on a partially-used ticket, where new int'l taxes are coming into play.
Would UA even reissue the ticket? They typically don't reissue a ticket on a reroute, even to a different final destination.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Yes, not having a checked bag increases your chance, but it'll be unlikely to find an agent willing to take a volunteer that will honor your request. co-terminal, yes. Different city/country? Probability is very low unless they are desperate.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The tricky thing here is that you are trying to reroute to a different country. No, YVR is not in USA despite what some may say. Co-terminals, such as SFO/OAK, are no problem. But there are some complications with routing to a new country, in addition to higher taxes (real taxes, not YQ) and fare.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TerryK
There is some complications with routing to a new country, in addition to higher taxes and fare.
I don't think the taxes and fare are the issue, but more the legal requirements for crossing the border.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:05 am

Yes, there are legal requirements for crossing the border, but will they even be an issue for the OP in this specific situation, who is already flying internationally on this ticket and presumably a Canadian passport holder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.