Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-route to new termination city possible?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by wcj1
Yes, there are legal requirements for crossing the border, but will they even be an issue for the OP in this specific situation, who is already flying internationally on this ticket and presumably a Canadian passport holder?
My gut feeling is yes. But if you don't ask, you'll never know...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
The only way and SFO agent would take you as a VDB let you go to a city you are not ticketed to is if the flights to SEA are sold out for the next 2 or 3 days and they couldn't get anyone else. Beware it's not that hard to take an IDB, just have get the check brought out.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
The only way and SFO agent would take you as a VDB let you go to a city you are not ticketed to is if the flights to SEA are sold out for the next 2 or 3 days and they couldn't get anyone else. Beware it's not that hard to take an IDB, just have get the check brought out.

GAs use alternate airports in VDBs all the time. I think the only caveat in this one is that SEA and YVR are in different countries. Had this been a more traditional swap (e.g., JFK/EWR, BWI/IAD, MIA/FLL, etc.), most GAs wouldn't think twice about it.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Flying PEK-SFO-SEA and then renting a car and driving back up from SEA to YVR on Sunday November 27, 2011

My SFO-SEA leg is all 0'ed out

Need to be back in YVR Sunday afternoon, so taking a bump is not an option, but was wondering whether in the event the SFO-SEA is overbooked, if it is possible for United to re-route me SFO-YVR

Checked United and the SFO-YVR flight on UA metal is wide open

If this is possible, this would need to be done at the gate, and at the gate agent's discretion? I assume to increase my chances of being re-routed in this fashion I should probably not check-in any bags?
Have you looked at the cost of buying a SFO-YVR ticket? Maybe there's a deal to be had. If you can find one, grab it. Even if you have checked luggage, you will clear at SFO, so you still have to recheck your bag if you stay with what you have or check-in anew w. whatever carrier on to YVR.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:08 am

Its definately worth a shot. I've been rebooked due to a weather waiver from BUF to YYZ. I'm sure GA's can easily do it.

It'll be free only if they need volunteers.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA1K
this got me thinking regarding intl taxes and such...what if there was a VDB from say, IAD-LAX. could they send you IAD-YYZ-LAX?

i don't believe cabotage applies since IAD-YYZ is on UA and YYZ-LAX would be on AC.

i know, not practical but it's a hypothetical situation.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by channa
GAs use alternate airports in VDBs all the time. I think the only caveat in this one is that SEA and YVR are in different countries. Had this been a more traditional swap (e.g., JFK/EWR, BWI/IAD, MIA/FLL, etc.), most GAs wouldn't think twice about it.
SFOFastAir is a GA at SFO, and I would tend to give what he says about what a GA at SFO might do more weight than others.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
SFOFastAir is a GA at SFO, and I would tend to give what he says about what a GA at SFO might do more weight than others.

I understand your point, though it's worth noting that consistency amongst agents can vary significantly, even at the same station.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Re-route to new termination city is possible

My flight yesterday morning at SFO appeared to be oversold and they were looking for volunteers at the gate. I spoke to the gate agent about rerouting me on a flight to Vancouver, and as long as I didn't have checked baggage, he said it was possible.

However, they ended up not need the seats, as some people that had checked in did not show up for their flights, so the point became moot.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Co-terminals certainly aren't an issue. I've been rerouted to both OXR (sigh, I miss OXR) and BUR after originally being booked into LAX because of IRROPS. YVR and SEA aren't co-terminals, but they are close enough together and have enough cross-traffic to justify the shift.

Originally Posted by haddon90
this got me thinking regarding intl taxes and such...what if there was a VDB from say, IAD-LAX. could they send you IAD-YYZ-LAX?

i don't believe cabotage applies since IAD-YYZ is on UA and YYZ-LAX would be on AC.

i know, not practical but it's a hypothetical situation.
Actually, its not cabotage anyway, as Air Canada isn't carrying a domestic passenger. Its 2 international flights.

UA has actually been known to connect people over YYZ during bad IRROPS from time to time - even onto other United flights. As long as someone is carrying a passport and admissible to Canada, no big deal.

Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
My flight yesterday morning at SFO appeared to be oversold and they were looking for volunteers at the gate. I spoke to the gate agent about rerouting me on a flight to Vancouver, and as long as I didn't have checked baggage, he said it was possible.

However, they ended up not need the seats, as some people that had checked in did not show up for their flights, so the point became moot.
I think I know why this would have been possible - the Canadians only charge taxes/fees on the outbound. No Airport Improvement Fee (PFC in US speak), no other charges. That's why when you book an award inbound to Canada, you only pay $5 for it. Outbound, you pay the AIF and other taxes. There would be no loss to United on your ticket, and YVR is actually the closest major airport UA flies to (not counting Victoria for this exercise).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.