Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA refused to upgrade me

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
Thumbs down GA refused to upgrade me

Long story short, I ranked #1 on upgrade list when 1 seat open 32 minutes before scheduled departure, but GA gave to the guy ranked #2 on the list that time.

I had to standby for a flight to compensate the missing time at destination due to schedule change. I asked GA 5 minutes before boarding when 10+ seats open, but GA refused to clear standby that time. So I went to RCC to add myself on the upgrade list and ranked #1. 2 minutes before boarding, GA called to the guy ranked #2 and gave him the last FC BP. I complained, but her supervisor aside insisted I would not get the UDU even though I ranked #1.

I did similar things before. But that time GA cleared me first for standby in order to updrade me. This time the GA not only broke the rules to clear upgrade list 2 minutes earlier, but also refused to clear my standby first. I was mad

Which list should clear first, upgrade list or standby list? I have the agent ID and her supervisor's name. What should I do?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by teddybw
I did similar things before. But that time GA cleared me first for standby in order to updrade me. This time the GA not only broke the rules to clear upgrade list 2 minutes earlier, but also refused to clear my standby first.
The first GA broke the rules. The second one did it right.

Which list should clear first, upgrade list or standby list?
The upgrade list should always be cleared before standby.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:47 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Long story short, I ranked #1 on upgrade list when 1 seat open 32 minutes before scheduled departure, but GA gave to the guy ranked #2 on the list that time.

I had to standby for a flight to compensate the missing time at destination due to schedule change. I asked GA 5 minutes before boarding when 10+ seats open, but GA refused to clear standby that time. So I went to RCC to add myself on the upgrade list and ranked #1. 2 minutes before boarding, GA called to the guy ranked #2 and gave him the last FC BP. I complained, but her supervisor aside insisted I would not get the UDU even though I ranked #1.

I did similar things before. But that time GA cleared me first for standby in order to updrade me. This time the GA not only broke the rules to clear upgrade list 2 minutes earlier, but also refused to clear my standby first. I was mad

Which list should clear first, upgrade list or standby list? I have the agent ID and her supervisor's name. What should I do?
I am betting you were at ORD.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe standby's are the last to clear. Sounds like they were right.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
Which Apollo profile indicated that? I failed to find that.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The upgrade list should always be cleared before standby.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:50 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
if you were standing by for the flight, it's correct, you are officially supposed to clear that before being upgraded, and unfortunately, since upgrade lists clear before standby lists, it is rarely that case that there are seats left after both lists clear.

You would be trying to punish the agents for following the rules, in this case. Complain to UA about the policy, not the agents. But then, the policy does have some logic to it too.

Passengers are supposed to have confirmed seats before being upgraded.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Which Apollo profile indicated that?
Not everything is in a profile, and if it was, it would most likely be company confidential. AFAIK, it's always been UA policy and is the order that makes the most sense.

The RCC agent is the one who broke the rules here. You should never have been on the upgrade list, and the GA knew it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
The person who appeared #2 on the list may have cleared after check in, and therefore been confirmed in NF but with a boarding pass in Y. Some CSRs proactively find these customers and re-check them into F.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, and seems like it could have been explained better.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

There are dozens of profiles on the wiki. I won't be convinced unless I see the profile indicating standby list has to clear after upgrade list.

What about those standby folks due to cancellation of original flights? Don't you think they deserve at least the same chance to get UDU?

Since policy profiles are company confidential, that's irrelevant. AFAIK, it's always been UA policy and is the only order that makes sense.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:58 pm

There are dozens of profiles on the wiki.
And none of those profiles should be there. Most (if not all) are confidential documents and badly out of date. Why can't you produce the profile that supports your position?

I won't be convinced unless I see the profile indicating standby list has to clear after upgrade list.
Whether you're convinced or not is of no real importance. You can either accept reality or deny it. It is what it is.

What about those standby folks due to cancellation of original flights?
Those people are not standby. They are disserviced passengers.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Tell me the profile name and I will try to find that.

I have been a disserviced passenger a couple of time, but my name always appear on the top of standby list. I was also disserviced passengers that day due to the cancellation of a flight in my itinerary. The whole PNR was messed up. What GA did made my day worse.
And none of those profiles should be there. Most (if not all) are confidential documents and badly out of date. Why can't you produce the profile that supports your position?

Those people are not standby. They are disserviced passengers.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:02 pm

Tell me the profile name and I will try to find that.
No. Assuming there is one, even if I knew it, I would not divulge any company's confidential information.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by TA
if you were standing by for the flight, it's correct, you are officially supposed to clear that before being upgraded, and unfortunately, since upgrade lists clear before standby lists, it is rarely that case that there are seats left after both lists clear.

You would be trying to punish the agents for following the rules, in this case. Complain to UA about the policy, not the agents. But then, the policy does have some logic to it too.

Passengers are supposed to have confirmed seats before being upgraded.
+1. I was on 3 flights this year on non-confirmed standby. One cleared and then I was able to get on still-open upgrade list (2 seats), which I ultimately cleared upgrade. Two other flights had me clear standby, but the upgrade list closed. That's the risk.

If you can get 3hr confirmed standby, you can be put on upgrade list immediately for a better shot at upgrade
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. By still-open, do you mean they have NOT cleared upgrade list after clearing you for standby, or they cleared upgrade list before standby but there are still 2 seats open?

I would have asked for 3-hour confirmed standby if only I had known the cancellation of a flight in my PNR earlier...

Originally Posted by npei
+1. I was on 3 flights this year on non-confirmed standby. One cleared and then I was able to get on still-open upgrade list (2 seats), which I ultimately cleared upgrade. Two other flights had me clear standby, but the upgrade list closed. That's the risk.

If you can get 3hr confirmed standby, you can be put on upgrade list immediately for a better shot at upgrade
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
What about those standby folks due to cancellation of original flights? Don't you think they deserve at least the same chance to get UDU?
Which is exactly what they get.

The problem is the standby's don't clear until last. The only time a standby will get a UDU is if there are still empty seats to upgrade them into when the UDU's have cleared, before they process the standby's. That's not going to happen all that often.

Accept it or not, but it's just how it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.