Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

20 September 2011- UA 891 LAX>NRT leaving early "due to typhoon".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:31 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond

UA 891 LAX>NRT leaving early "due to typhoon". Co-worker in SFO is in the same situation. Sounds like they are crushing all the flights to a narrow window. Later flights are leaving early. Early flights ate leaving late. Anyone had this happen? People that are slow getting to LAX are gonna be PiSSeD!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
.bomb says it only left 5 minutes early...

http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightDet...0110920&stamp=
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
From LAX's perspective:
Canceled: AA, DL, KE.
Still flying: JL, NH, UA.

From NRT's perspective:
All AA flights NRT-9/21 are canceled.
Most if not all DL flights are canceled, eastbound and westbound.
UA: Still many flying.

More: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/RJAA (Zoom out the map)
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Hope they load extra barf bags!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:20 pm

DL canceled everything except to evacuate the remaining planes eastbound to the US this afternoon.

UA has arrivals until around 4 pm, and winds are supposed to hit between 3 pm and 9 pm (TEMPO 2106/2112 18043G58KT 3000 +SHRA BKN005). I don't know what the back-up airports are. Maybe Chitose?

All evening departures are still on time--if the arrivals make it.

I guess UA only has 747s and 777s so they don't worry about planes flipping over. The typhoon veterans of CO (CS GUM) aren't taking the risk with their 767s.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Amazingly, given the winds right now, it seems that most of the UA flights made it in and are departing about 1-1.5 hours late. Much better than snow-kyo.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: TG Gold, Marriott Gold
All UA flights from NRT are leaving a few hrs late. But they are leaving except for BKK which is the only one canceled. Anybody know why?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by hamburgler
Amazingly, given the winds right now, it seems that most of the UA flights made it in and are departing about 1-1.5 hours late. Much better than snow-kyo.
Thanks for remembering snow-kyo!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by ualdenver
All UA flights from NRT are leaving a few hrs late. But they are leaving except for BKK which is the only one canceled. Anybody know why?
Every UA flight made it in except the one from BKK. Maybe the one less plane can explain the only departure cancellation too?

Originally Posted by hamburgler
The wind was pretty much straight down the runway during the windiest period of time. Things went worse during the evening but departures can tolerate more crosswinds I guess.

The departure delays may have more to do with ground issues--getting the crew and passengers from the city and getting baggage transferred in heavy rain and wind.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
The wind was pretty much straight down the runway during the windiest period of time. Things went worse during the evening but departures can tolerate more crosswinds I guess.

The departure delays may have more to do with ground issues--getting the crew and passengers from the city and getting baggage transferred in heavy rain and wind.
The peak was from 1730-1830, so I suspect that they were also avoiding it... in Tokyo things are now completely back to normal, albeit a lot of debris on the ground. Fast moving storm!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
On a side note, UA838 (BKK-NRT) was diverted to KIX on 21 September. The subsequent KIX-NRT leg was canceled.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Over the past few years, I'd had a couple SFO->NRT flights cancelled due to typhoons around Tokyo. Interestingly on those occasions, ANA was still flying on time and with no problems even though UA had cancelled the once or twice daily flights..
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: TG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Every UA flight made it in except the one from BKK. Maybe the one less plane can explain the only departure cancellation too?
Originally Posted by warreng24
On a side note, UA838 (BKK-NRT) was diverted to KIX on 21 September. The subsequent KIX-NRT leg was canceled.
Thanks. That explains why the NRT-BKK was subsequently canceled.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:57 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
.bomb says it only left 5 minutes early...

http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightDet...0110920&stamp=
Yes, true but they were attempting with an early board time...shows you how that goes.

The trip was interesting. According to the map we did not go along Alaska/Bering Sea route that we always have, but rather a more "direct" looking route north of Hawaii.

We circled off the coast of Japan a bit before a LONG approach. To say it was bumpy was an understatement. But the pilots were HANDLING it! It was impressive. The landing was quick & great...no flirting. Applause ensued, along with passengers getting up (getting yelled at by FA's) and running for the toilets. Definitely a hurl-worthy approach.

Took about about 45min too get my bags. Ok, good! Go down to get a ticket for Narita Express into Shinjuku...not good. Shut down. Check into taking the limo bus...shut down, traffic snarled beyond belief. I find out that the Skyliner is running. I get a ticket for 5:20 departure. I get on the train...suspended due to high winds. We are all sitting, waiting it out.

2 1/2 hours later, still sitting at NRT on a train. Thanks to a kind off-duty ANA FA, I find out that the limo buses are starting up at 8pm. She's going to do it...and so am I! Get refund, buy limo bus ticket, and say farewell to my (new) friend Kamiko

Bus leaves at 8:30. It has now been 4 hours since I arrived at NRT. Bus gets going, all is looking good. As I'm in a foggy, bobble-headed state, I wake up to TRAFFIC from hell.

Finally arrive at the Hilton Shinjuku at 10:40. 6 hours spent on a usual 1:45 commute. Nice typhoon. I know many of you have worse stories, but this SUCKED. But thank god for a friendly, english-speaking Japanese resident!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ainternational
Over the past few years, I'd had a couple SFO->NRT flights cancelled due to typhoons around Tokyo. Interestingly on those occasions, ANA was still flying on time and with no problems even though UA had cancelled the once or twice daily flights..
ANA seems a little more flexible in working around the Typhoon season. I was on NH112 SIN-NRT yesterday, we flew to NRT diverted to KIX, and yes the weather on final approach in NRT before diverted was horrendous. Waited in KIX for 2 hours and then continued back to NRT....where it was still extremely windy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.