Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Anyone been on the UA ORD-IAD-ORD Route Recently in First/Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been on the UA ORD-IAD-ORD Route Recently in First/Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:38 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by UNITED959
On my ORD-BWI flights in the afternoons I've typically been getting a snack basket of those Popped Chips, Toblerone, Mini-Clifs, and fruit.

(These are the same baskets that were removed from mid-cons once Jeff came onboard and lied about taking the best of both airlines; not that I'm bitter or anything.)
^ (bolding mine)

I've found that the bananas offered are usually appropriately ripe.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atcguy
IAD-BOS is Scones in the am, and Popchips/Nuts/Toblerone basket in the afternoon/evening.
Why isn't that a "light snack"?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
No snack basket on my flight at all.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew ORD-IAD on First on UA 994 a couple months back. We received drinks and a snack basket with Pop Chips, Toblerones and Clif Bars. I think it's just under the flight length where a meal should be provided so I was happy with what was served.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I fly this route in 3 cabin F/C and 2 cabin F. Most of the time it's just drinks, sometimes the basket. They do pass the snack basket around in 3 cabin F with some consistency. Count me as one who would like a meal/snack on this flight.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Count me with the others that they CAN serve a full meal, but choose not to do so - probably due to reducing costs more so than the FAs.

BTW - if you think that's bad, SEA-SFO routinely tells you that the pretzels/whatever aren't loaded because the flight is too short

Like others I've been on many a short European flight that C got a meal & even if the folk in the back got sandwiches.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Count me with the others that they CAN serve a full meal, but choose not to do so - probably due to reducing costs more so than the FAs.

BTW - if you think that's bad, SEA-SFO routinely tells you that the pretzels/whatever aren't loaded because the flight is too short

Like others I've been on many a short European flight that C got a meal & even if the folk in the back got sandwiches.

Cheers.
+1

I was amazed at the fact that LH served me a meal on the 407 mile flight from LHR-FRA.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

I was amazed at the fact that LH served me a meal on the 407 mile flight from LHR-FRA.
I've gotten food from FRA-DUS! I also had a hot, fully plated meal with dessert on a RJ from ZRH-VIE ^

And since I do remember the days when meals were served ORD-DCA/IAD, it's obvious they can serve them, just that they no longer due to cutting down costs.

To the OP - if you get a good crew who makes the rounds a lot, you can at least get some booze on your trip. I've had ORD-DC trips where the glass overflowth with wine & others where even getting water refreshed took a lot.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Comparing what United does on a flight where plenty of people in F are upgraders from what Lufthansa does on a flight with far fewer upgraders is really immaterial. European flights will almost always have more food than American ones, this is fact. The flight is under 600 miles so I don't think it really needs a meal. At least UA isn't DL where unless the flight is a special exception, flight under 900 miles get nothing but a snack basket.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Comparing what United does on a flight where plenty of people in F are upgraders from what Lufthansa does on a flight with far fewer upgraders is really immaterial. European flights will almost always have more food than American ones, this is fact. The flight is under 600 miles so I don't think it really needs a meal. At least UA isn't DL where unless the flight is a special exception, flight under 900 miles get nothing but a snack basket.
IIRC, the cutoff on UA is 750, except for special exceptions (which several of the old "BusinessOne" flights ex-ORD used to fall under). So they're splitting the difference with DL, apparently...

Personally, given the flight IAD-ORD is ~2 hours, I do think some sort of a meal should be served in F. That's long enough that when you factor in time getting to the airport, checking in, going through security, boarding, etc., you can be pretty hungry even if you ate on the airport just before that rigmarole.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

lol, 407 miles ? How about compare to ZRH-MUC that is only 163 miles !

I got served a continental breakfast with fruit plate and hot croissant, orange juice and tea on that 40 min flights on LX in C on the Avro RJ.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The only reason why European airlines insist on serving a meal even on an one hour flight is because they do not even offer a intra-european business class seat. You get the same coach seat, with the same tight pitch, but with the middle blocked. They need to offer a meal to differentiate between business and coach. So, AFAIC, US domestic F is far superior than intra-europe J.

Also, just because UA doesn't serve good meals, it doesn't mean other airlines don't. AA serves full meals where UA serves snack baskets. On the LAX-DFW 1250 mile route, AA serves a full meal with separate appetizer course, far better salad, and ice cream sundae/and or fruit/cheese for dessert.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
AA serves full meals where UA serves snack baskets. On the LAX-DFW 1250 mile route, AA serves a full meal with separate appetizer course, far better salad, and ice cream sundae/and or fruit/cheese for dessert.
That should be fixed sometime before the exit from bankruptcy.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
That should be fixed sometime before the exit from bankruptcy.
I doubt that.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:27 pm

Speak for yourself & I disagree w/ most of what you said. And again, not to point out the obvious but UA used to serve meals on the flight, so the claim that the 'flight is too short' is pure BS.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.