Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any way to postpone the expiration date of SWUs?

Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC

I now have 12 SWUs in my account. Six of them will expire on 1/2012 and the other six will expire on 9/2012. Does anyone know if I can get the expiration date for my last six SWUs push out to 12/2012 or 1/2013 instead? I don't like this compulsory early deposit of my 6 SWUs. I would rather go back the old way where SWUs will expire on the beginning of each calendar year
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Many have been told by MP CS that if the SWUs were forced on you "early" (as in right after you cross 100K), at some point next year you'll be able to call and request them to be extended to either EOY or 1/13.

But technically, not "official".
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
2011 SWU Extended into 2012 ???

I wanted to use two SWU expiring the end of January 2011 for an international flight Feruary 3-7,2012. I called MP to see if I could get the expiration date extended. The first agent was in Manila, and I will not go into that conversation. The second conversation was in the US and the agent was very helpful. She made some calls and came back and said she was told that due to the upheaval with the merger they were going to extend SWU into 2012 and I would not have any trouble using it. She said if I did have a problem to get in touch with her. She gave me her name and station.

Has anyone heard of the SWU extension? How would I reconnect with this agent if I need her help as she offered?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I wanted to use two SWU expiring the end of January 2011 for an international flight Feruary 3-7,2012. I called MP to see if I could get the expiration date extended. The first agent was in Manila, and I will not go into that conversation. The second conversation was in the US and the agent was very helpful. She made some calls and came back and said she was told that due to the upheaval with the merger they were going to extend SWU into 2012 and I would not have any trouble using it. She said if I did have a problem to get in touch with her. She gave me her name and station.

Has anyone heard of the SWU extension? How would I reconnect with this agent if I need her help as she offered?
I'm going to assume you made a typo in your post and asking about a SWU that expires the end of Jan 2012 and want to extend it out one month, correct
Though I have no personal experience, many have posted over the previous years they were able to do this with one SWU. Not sure about next year though?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past few years this benefit, the ability to extend one SWU from 31 Jan. to 30 Apr., has popped up in early-ish November.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by transpac
In the past few years this benefit, the ability to extend one SWU from 31 Jan. to 30 Apr., has popped up in early-ish November.
Yes, pretty standard to extend January expiring SWUs through to April over past few years. Others have also said UA will extend newly earned SWUs (i.e. those credited once we pass 100K) through to the end of January 2013.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Yes, pretty standard to extend January expiring SWUs through to April over past few years. ...
[ast two years it has been only one that could be extend to April, not multiple.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
...Others have also said UA will extend newly earned SWUs (i.e. those credited once we pass 100K) through to the end of January 2013.
I'm wondering if the second agent has these two different cases confused? If the OP is talking about an expriring SWU, it is likley the first case and not this second case.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
One is correct

Last year, I had one extended into April. I asked about more and they said no. I do not know how it will work in 2012. UA/CO is trying to shorten the period you have for usage by giving upgrades to you when you hit the 1K mark, rather than at the end of the year.

This one could go either way for 2012, but if I had to guess, I would think that they would follow the one upgrade into April.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
UA/CO is trying to shorten the period you have for usage by giving upgrades to you when you hit the 1K mark, rather than at the end of the year.
There was overlap in the transition, but the period of validity is basically the same as it was (not exactly, as they're now actually good anywhere from 12 months to 13 months).
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Call or e-mail

I'd like to postpone recieving my SWUs till Jan 2012. I've seen reports both ways: "not possible" and "call in 2012" on earlier FT posts. Is calling the MP desk better than sending an e-mail to 1K Voice?
Has anyone recieved a definite answer?
Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You cannot delay receiving the SWUs, but some people have been told that United will extend the expirations on them. We'll have to see how that plays out.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
All 6 SWUs extended to April 2012

Originally Posted by Madisonman39
Last year, I had one extended into April. I asked about more and they said no. I do not know how it will work in 2012. UA/CO is trying to shorten the period you have for usage by giving upgrades to you when you hit the 1K mark, rather than at the end of the year.

This one could go either way for 2012, but if I had to guess, I would think that they would follow the one upgrade into April.
I've just noticed that all 6 of my SWU's from last January have been extended to April 2012!

So, I guess the rumors about generosity were true.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I've just noticed that all 6 of my SWU's from last January have been extended to April 2012!

Did you requalify for 1K already?

Mine haven't been extended, but I won't requalify until late November.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Wow! congrats! That is something new! Too bad all mine were gone.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great news if it applies across the board, or more specifcally ME!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.