Search

Free Standby Now?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sosafan
I flew GVA-IAD-ORD and in IAD, there was a customer service desk
in the bag pickup area. I was booked on a flight with a 5 hour
layover and there was a flight with a 2 hour layover. I had seen the earlier
flight when I made the original booking, but it would have been $200 more.
I presented my boarding pass and gold card and asked if I could get on
the earlier flight. I was told the flight was full, and that it would cost
$75 to get on the standby list. So I didn't bother.

Ironically, the bags made it on the earlier flight anyway, and were locked up in the bins between the baggage belts when I got to O'Hare.

I didn't correct the agent because I didn't know.

Thanks all.

They will take the credit card to get on the standby list--but it should only deduct the $75 if you clear the list (i.e. get on the flight)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sosafan
I flew GVA-IAD-ORD and in IAD, there was a customer service desk
in the bag pickup area. I was booked on a flight with a 5 hour
layover and there was a flight with a 2 hour layover. I had seen the earlier
flight when I made the original booking, but it would have been $200 more.
I presented my boarding pass and gold card and asked if I could get on
the earlier flight. I was told the flight was full, and that it would cost
$75 to get on the standby list. So I didn't bother.

Ironically, the bags made it on the earlier flight anyway, and were locked up in the bins between the baggage belts when I got to O'Hare.

I didn't correct the agent because I didn't know.

Thanks all.
When you say gold card, I am assuming your 1P card? If that is the case, then you should have been added to the standby list for that flight for free.

Originally Posted by lax2010
Can one really do SDC 24-hour in advance now on UA? did they change it? Thought it used to be 3-hour before the same day new flight?
UA is 3 hours before the flight you would like to SDC to and CO is 24 hours. The flights you are booked on govern the rules regarding SDC.

Being on a mixed itinerary makes it a little more confusing, especially when the ticket is booked on CO. Been there, done that. I was confused as heck on the rules on one ticket and eventually left it alone.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by drewguy
Do these fees (or no fees) apply to others on the same PNR (i.e., I'm 1P, but my wife and daughter are not)?
Good question - anyone know the answer?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 1kwannabe
Say you go CLT-CLE-BWI-EWR-CLT.
You want to say see if you can squeeze and extra segment at 24 hour check in. You can say do CLT-CLE-ORD-BWI. Because BWI is your destination. Same for the return. BWI-ORD-IAD-CLT instead of BWI-EWR-CLT.

above is an example, but as long as the origin/switching airport is not changed, they should let you change, even if your in G class, no G class on flight you want, they will put you in the lowest fare bucket for that flight.

Try it sometime, you may even get lucky and get rebooked in Y/B!!

CO's SDC policy
requires that there is inventory in the purchased fare class. I don't know how you're getting into Y/B that way.

Additionally, per the rules: Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased. Adding that connection in ORD is only feasible if your routing rules permitted it.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Just for further clarification, a RCC concierge just told us we could not get on the standby list for an earlier flight this evening because it was a CO flight. We read through this and do note different wording for standby )"...you may choose to stand by for a seat on an alternate United flight...") than for confirmed same-day standby.

We'll assume the RCC employee is correct unless somebody has new information for us.

Thanks in advance.
Fredd
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:21 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Fredd
Just for further clarification, a RCC concierge just told us we could not get on the standby list for an earlier flight this evening because it was a CO flight. We read through this and do note different wording for standby )"...you may choose to stand by for a seat on an alternate United flight...") than for confirmed same-day standby.

We'll assume the RCC employee is correct unless somebody has new information for us.

Thanks in advance.
Fredd
They are correct. I don't know of any airline that lets a person standby on a different airline (giving them access to the etkt) effectivly asking another airline to take the revenue from them. While UA/CO might share a few bank accounts, things haven't YET merged to the point where all of the books/accounts are one. The fact that UA UG certs are now valid (although a res-manual process) on CO is a good sign that things are becoming one, at this point, they are still (2) separate carriers. The technology to standby on another, given different checkin sysytems and inventory systems just doesn't exist in the current world, without harming the host carriers ability to release that seat and that inventory.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
A friend and I are on the same flight but different pnr. I'm co plat, he's nothing. I know I'm free, but is he free if I do it at the counter and it's done at the same time?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
They are correct. I don't know of any airline that lets a person standby on a different airline (giving them access to the etkt) effectivly asking another airline to take the revenue from them. While UA/CO might share a few bank accounts, things haven't YET merged to the point where all of the books/accounts are one. The fact that UA UG certs are now valid (although a res-manual process) on CO is a good sign that things are becoming one, at this point, they are still (2) separate carriers. The technology to standby on another, given different checkin sysytems and inventory systems just doesn't exist in the current world, without harming the host carriers ability to release that seat and that inventory.
Thanks for the clarification. ^ It was the earlier section that made me wonder to what extent the merger has impacted standby travel, i.e.

On the same day of travel as your scheduled itinerary, if eligible seats are available, you can confirm a seat on an alternate United® or Continental® flight departing within three hours of the time of your request. Confirmed same-day changes involving only United flights may be completed online, by phone through United Reservations or at the airport. Confirmed same-day changes that switch from a United flight to a Continental flight may only be completed at the airport. A fee may apply in each direction of travel...

It would seem to me that what you've written would apply to "confirmed same-day changes that switch from a United flight to a Continental flight" but I'm probably missing something.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Anyone Know??

Originally Posted by 1k650
+1 I would like to know as well as I may take advandage of this in about a week..
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 1k650
Either none of us can read or it got updated, but I realized the FAQ link states the waiver applies to:

"Companions traveling on the same reservation as an elite member at one of the above levels"

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52142,00.html
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks! drewguy..

Originally Posted by drewguy
Either none of us can read or it got updated, but I realized the FAQ link states the waiver applies to:

"Companions traveling on the same reservation as an elite member at one of the above levels"

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52142,00.html
Never saw that, very clear now! Safe Travels..
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
It would seem to me that what you've written would apply to "confirmed same-day changes that switch from a United flight to a Continental flight" but I'm probably missing something.

Cheers,
Fredd
I did SDC from a CO to a UA flight over the weekend without any problems. The trick is to have the CO agent off load you first, then go to UA to have it added to the standby list. I did this at the airport.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by imm2b
I did SDC from a CO to a UA flight over the weekend without any problems. The trick is to have the CO agent off load you first, then go to UA to have it added to the standby list. I did this at the airport.
If you are doing Same Day Confirmed (SDC) there is no stand-by about it. When you check-in with UA you should either get a boarding pass with a seat assignment or a DM card stating BP2 as you boarding priority.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
If you are doing Same Day Confirmed (SDC) there is no stand-by about it. When you check-in with UA you should either get a boarding pass with a seat assignment or a DM card stating BP2 as you boarding priority.
SDC=Same Day Change. Yes. you're correct. I did get a DM card, looking at the monitor, I was on the Standby list. That's why I thought I was on Standby, may be I didn't use the right term?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by greathustle
2 hours in an airport bar anyone is good for a solid multiple of that. What with $25 glasses of pinot in le grand compt... Tell the Boss to step up!
i can easily spend less then $75 at an airport bar in 2 hours and still feel fantastic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.