Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible tax free tickets after midnight? (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

FAA might temporarily lose authority to collect airline taxes tonight if congress doesn't renew its authority to do so.

By midnight tonight, airlines wont be charging federal taxes.. So if ur shopping for flights, buy it after midnight!

Source:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5htnGvydyBBbzaA3DwZngIvoQ1pkQ?docId=d5ebc75a6 2484a4ba22a7f3f5f94c86b
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:52 pm

Tax break on tickets!

I'm sure the mods will move this to the appropriate forum as I'm too lazy to figure out where it belongs, thank you in advance.

The FAA reauthorization bill is set to expire at midnight eastern time tonight. No impact to the ATC system as it is an essential function but a byproduct is that the airlines will stop collecting certain federal ticket taxes that are no longer in effect after 11.59pm tonight.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:59 pm

Conversation in progress: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-article.html
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:07 pm

Thank you mikensf!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I can only hope that UA does this. I'd rather be able to spend on my MP Select Visa for the RDM/EQMs bonus with UA than book through Travelocity (which has stated that they won't charge taxes if things go that way)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just curious - when the gov't gets it's act together and re-authorizes the taxes - could they theoretically make them retroactive, so that carriers would have to pay it in the end, even if the ticket buyers weren't charged at the time?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks, OP! Now I wish I had bought my ticket this evening, not this morning
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Thanks, OP! Now I wish I had bought my ticket this evening, not this morning
If you purchased them this morning, then you can still cancel! I believe you can cancel a reservation 24 hours after purchase.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by edcho
If you purchased them this morning, then you can still cancel! I believe you can cancel a reservation 24 hours after purchase.
Not when using an e-cert @:-)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Not when using an e-cert @:-)
This is true.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
any luck getting tax-free/reduced tax tickets yet?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by NYCSINUA
any luck getting tax-free/reduced tax tickets yet?
I started pricing some sample trips on .bomb and noticed a reduction in the taxes that ITA expected there to be. Waived US/ZP, retained AY/XF (9/11 Security Fee and PFC).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Looks like taxes are only showing up as $7 right now, and they haven't jacked up fares (yet)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Haha, we booked tickets at, literally, ELEVEN FORTY EIGHT P.M., with an e-certificate. Bummer.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Yes it is possible!

I just cancelled tickets I purchased earlier today and rebooked and saved $40/ticket due to the federal tax not being charged. Interestingly, I had also booked flights today on Southwest, and Southwest raised the airfare by the amount of the federal tax so there were no savings available!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.