Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Share Your Opinions About Being a Red Carpet Club Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

Just received a survey from UA. First question asked me what I had used miles for in the last year (including RCC and award travel). Then I was asked if I wasn't able to use miles to purchase a RCC membership, would I buy one? I answered "probably not."

Ugh...I hope they don't take this option away from us...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I think that removing the miles option would be a foolish move. They keep adding ways to spend your miles, why would they take away this one?

In the comments of the survey, I mentioned that I can justify spending the miles for the RCC, but not cash, and that I would happily let my membership lapse if it was cash only.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I, too, got the survey, and found it disturbing that so many of the questions seemed more to do with using miles for membership than with the quality of the club / membership itself.

Definitely seemed like they were floating the notion of eliminating the ability to buy a membership with miles... And I can say that without serious improvements in amenities, for me there's simply no way I'd consider it worth the $$ (even though the exchange rate for the miles is poor compared to the typical valuation of said miles).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Is the miles redemption option for RCC being chopped/?

Anyone else get the RCC survey today? Basically it asked pointed questions whether you would renew your club membership if you had to pay versus redeem miles for membership. I don't like where this is going...another change I'm supposed to like?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I got email from UA today pitching for 1-yr RCC with 47,500 miles
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
I just received an email from MP asking if I would like to become a member of RCC for 47,500 miles or with pouse for 70k.

I am not sure if this is anything related to the survey OP mentioned.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I also received the 47.5k offer today. It made no mention of the cash option. I wonder if this is part of the survey process - if they don't get enough bites, the miles option is gone.

Unless I was sitting on millions of miles, I would never spend them this way (maybe they're figuring that out). 47.5k miles are worth a lot more on a longhaul premium award than a $375 RCC fee.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I also received the survey even though I purchased a lifetime membership in the early 80s and then received another lifetime membership when I passed 2MM!

My wife uses miles for her membership (usually my miles)...and we would probably not renew her membership (she is a 1P travelling with me 70% of the time) if we had to pay cash!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:00 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
I just got the survey and it was very clear that the underlying thread was the possible elimination of redemption of miles for RCC membership.

I answered every question in the most negative way possible--for example "If I could not redeem miles for membership would I pay cash to retain membership" answer NO; "If I could not redeem miles for RCC would I be less inclined to fly UA? Answer YES.

My free form comment at the end of the survey was to the effect of "What in the world are you thinking--absolutely absurd idea. Another change that Jeff knows that we are sure to like--NOT."

Please take the time to respond. It is very clear what they have up their sleeve.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by dfe
I just got the survey and it was very clear that the underlying thread was the possible elimination of redemption of miles for RCC membership.

I answered every question in the most negative way possible--for example "If I could not redeem miles for membership would I pay cash to retain membership" answer NO; "If I could not redeem miles for RCC would I be less inclined to fly UA? Answer YES.

My free form comment at the end of the survey was to the effect of "What in the world are you thinking--absolutely absurd idea. Another change that Jeff knows that we are sure to like--NOT."

Please take the time to respond. It is very clear what they have up their sleeve.
My comment was 'If the miles redemption option for RCC membership is made unavailable, I will do business with another airline'.

My RCC is up for renewal on 1 Sept. Probably time to get the status match paperwork in order.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
Since I use most of my miles to fly spouse and kids around, the miles option for RCC never made much sense to me. And this year, with my airmiles almost doubling over previous years, I finally went with the Mileage Plus Visa RCC option, for something like $325. Considering that there was already a $95 fee or so to get those EQM, it seems like a bargain to me.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Got the survey too. I usually use miles to get membership for me and my spouse. I also use miles to buy her tickets. Nonethless, with all my flying I am sitting on .5M miles. I would much rather buy with miles and would reevaluate if I had to pay cash.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
I wouldn't re-evaluate... I would not bother... end of story!!! If they keep taking a piece out of the pie, there won't be any pie left!!!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Just received a survey from UA. First question asked me what I had used miles for in the last year (including RCC and award travel). Then I was asked if I wasn't able to use miles to purchase a RCC membership, would I buy one? I answered "probably not."

Ugh...I hope they don't take this option away from us...
Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
I think that removing the miles option would be a foolish move. They keep adding ways to spend your miles, why would they take away this one?
IMO, miles for an annual RCC membership is poor return on value to the M+ member, and I agree UACO would be stupid for taking away the option.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
At the end in the comment section I said that RCC membership was only worthwhile if it was obtained with otherwise unused miles. The product's low quality did not justify a cash outlay. I also mentioned that increases in mileage needed for membership could also easily cause me to drop membership I've held since 1986.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.