Search

UDU, Then Downgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
UDU, Then Downgraded?

Yesterday I saw that I was upgraded to F for tomorrow's flight (LGA-ORD). Now I go to check in and I am back in E+ (same seat before the upgrade). Of course I neglected to print out evidence of the upgrade.

This is a UA flight ticketed by CO (showing as a CO flight on the CO page).

Is it even worth the time to call about this?

Update: I am not even waitlisted for the upgrade. On the UA page the flight is listed as "Continental ****, Operated by: United Airlines Inc."

Last edited by ralfp; Jul 15, 2011 at 9:55 am
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
It is indeed worth calling.

I had the same problem yesterday with a codeshare flight I bought from Continental (I know--never buy a codeshare--I will never make that mistake again), and United actually opened up NF space for me and gave me the last F seat on my fight this weekend from SFO to ORD, which really surprised me. It took about 15 minutes, but they made everything right in the end.

Thanks, United!

Good luck!

Tim
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Angry

Calling did zilch. Neither CO or UA agents could help me. The CO agent was able to add a second copy of my connecting segment to the reservation . The UA agent admitted this downgrade thing was a systemic glitch, but could neither fix the problem, nor get me on the UDU waitlist.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Sorry to hear that.

When I called yesterday about my similar problem, I was all prepared go to the mat on this and demand to speak to a supervisor, but the excellent UA agent fixed everything without my having to even start down that route, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Tim
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:35 am
Original Poster

A "reservations supervisor" informed me that they could see that I had been in seat 5B (on a 752), but that the segment was never in first class.

He claimed that they could not put me in F because I had never been in F (regardless of them assigning me 5B), but that I was "gonna get upgraded" before the flight. Of course I'm still not on the waitlist on the UA site, nor does the check-in page have the usual blurb about being waitlisted "as a value Continental elite".
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
There's nothing worse than a phone agent making the situation even further confusing..lol
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:18 am
Original Poster

It seems that I've been upgraded. Of course I cannot assign myself a seat or check in again. At least this time I've printed evidence of the "Confirmed" seat in NF.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Downgraded again, then upgraded again

When the check in agent printed out my new boarding pass it was for 39F! It took him about 5 minutes to put me back into first. It's a good thing I printed the itinerary page showing me confirmed in NF.

Something is seriously messed up...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:33 am

The systems are wonky especially if you have a mixed PNR.

This is why I am trying to stick to CO only (or UA only) flights each ticketed respectively with their own planes until they complete the merger.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA
It seems that it's a nightmare having mixed PNR with UA and CO flights now. I booked my first MR. Whenever I look it at .bomb, I saw some weirdness (a segment disappear, the seat map is not available for a UA flight, the order of the segments are wrong etc.). Then I go to CO site, I got message"the itinerary is modified, please call reseveratio to get the ticket reiussed". Then I had to wait 15-20 min to talk to a human.

It happened several time, then I gave up. I will get this straight in th 24 hr period.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by mike_L
It seems that it's a nightmare having mixed PNR with UA and CO flights now. I booked my first MR. Whenever I look it at .bomb, I saw some weirdness (a segment disappear, the seat map is not available for a UA flight, the order of the segments are wrong etc.). Then I go to CO site, I got message"the itinerary is modified, please call reseveratio to get the ticket reiussed". Then I had to wait 15-20 min to talk to a human.

It happened several time, then I gave up. I will get this straight in th 24 hr period.
I had a mixed PNR international trip booked via CO, that I later had to modify and re-fare on an all United itinerary. They kept the same United PNR as from the mixed trip, and the UA site perpetually showed not just the new segments, but also all of the old segments - CO codeshare/UA metal, CO flights, and UA flights.

However, whenever I called or was at the airport, they did have the itinerary accurate in their system and there were no problems. Thus it just seemed that mixed PNR's are mainly a problem with the website but not the actual tickets or backend systems.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
one step further

I get mixed PNR's all the time. It is two systems that cannot communicate with each other, UA and Co.

I couldn't pass up 6 sements for 109 bucks all in so I am on a mix of co/ua/us flights.

The US Segments still count towards elite status right?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darksidesith
...The US Segments still count towards elite status right?
yes and toward CO MM status if credited to OP (with 500 mile min tossed in)
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm doing my first mixed UA/CO itinerary next week, but it's an award ticket so no UDU to sweat. The whole itinerary (a mix of XF and XC) and seat maps appear normal both on .bomb and the CO site and have been stable since ticketing. All that's different on .bomb is no Travel Options.

Getting back to the point of this thread, this reported glitch is yet another reason to continue avoiding CO metal on paid tickets if possible.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I just completed a mixed itn last week, it was my first one and while in the end everything worked out I noticed regarding upgrades it cannot happen until checkin (24hrs) for the codeshare flight. My ticket was 016, outbound UA metal return CO metal but booked under UA code. Upgrades on the UA flights went in at the 100hr mark, for the CO flights they did not and I didn't show on the PDA site until I checked in, luckily I got both the upgrades at checkin so it worked out but if it was a more competitive upgrade situation that could have made the difference so I will be avoiding mixed itns until next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.