UA Award travel change

Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP
UA Award travel change

About a month ago I booked a fight for me and my girlfriend to OGG , Maui using my miles (40k each way) BZ class which is fC on that flight and I have to change the flight to a later date due to a medical issue. When I change the flight to the new date will UA just make the change to the new date (same time same channel) without charging me more miles. I looked and now it's 80K each way award travel...anybody ever have any experiance with this..Thanks !!!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:32 am

sounds like there is no saver (capacity controlled) award availability on your new flights?

The mileage requirements are still 40k each way for saver F or C mainland to Hawaii. 80k each way is for a standard award.

If you can find saver award availability on your new dates, I believe you can make the change with no fee.

-David
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
If you can find saver award availability on your new dates, I believe you can make the change with no fee.
Correct, with a little caveat....

There will be a fee if you change any part of the routing, or carrier. (provided you are not a 1K... then zero chance at a fee).

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Jul 12, 2011 at 6:46 am
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: UA
Award ticket reservation, with UA or *A?

deleted.

wrong thread
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mike_L
I will need to reserve 4 award tickets between north Asia and south Asia. I am UA 2P. Does it make any differences by calling UA or *A reservation?

About the reservation charge, will it be by per transanction or by per person on the itinerary?
There is no "*A reservations". If you're using Mileage Plus miles, you have to call UA. Fees are on a per-ticket (i.e., per-person) basis.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is no "*A reservations". If you're using Mileage Plus miles, you have to call UA. Fees are on a per-ticket basis.
Thanks for reponding so fast. I just realized that I posted to a wrong thread and deleted my original post. Anyway, you answered my question, I won't make a new onw.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

The fare code on my e-ticket reads XFBP00....I assume this is a saver award so how does UA make it a saver or standard award....is it by availability....cause the seating chart shows plenty of seats available. I noticed in the past that it changes from the 40k to 80k miles required for the seats ??? Does this happen randomly or what ??? Thanks !!!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SunchaserUSA
The fare code on my e-ticket reads XFBP00....I assume this is a saver award
Correct. XF is a First class Saver award.

how does UA make it a saver or standard award....is it by availability
Saver awards are very limited. Once they're gone, you can only get Standard awards (until and unless they open up more Saver inventory).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Well you were correct....when I called to change the dates the outbound flight had saver award seats in FX/BZ but on the inbound flight back to LAX they didn't. What I did find out however(that I couldn't do through reservations on the phone)was after being transferred to online support is that on the UA website they did show saver award for Econ + but not on the reservation peoples screen....only caveat is that there is a $75.0/ticket fee that has to be paid so I can change to the Economy Plus even with the 40K miles saver award...Don't see much difference with the seats from FX to Econ + ...shorter flight back anyways....
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Well you were correct....when I called to change the dates the outbound flight had saver award seats in FX/BZ but on the inbound flight back to LAX they didn't. What I did find out however(that I couldn't do through reservations on the phone)was after being transferred to online support is that on the UA website they did show saver award for Econ + but not on the reservation peoples screen....only caveat is that there is a $75.0/ticket fee that has to be paid so I can change to the Economy Plus even with the 40K miles saver award...Don't see much difference with the seats from FX to Econ + ...shorter flight back anyways....
Unfortunately, when you change the cabin, they ding you with the fee. BTW, it's not really possible to obtain E+ as an award seat. You would an economy award. If you have elite status, or if you pay the one time fee, you will be placed in an E+ seat.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
If there is not much difference between seats from F and Y, why didn't you get your award tickets in Y and save all your miles? For me, there is a big difference between F and Y. YMMV!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
(until and unless they open up more Saver inventory).
Which, with Hawai`i awards, often happens about 10-14 days out.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Well last after midnight I was curious to see if the saver awards had kicked in again and pfft there it was but when I called reservations they didn't see it on there screens so had to be transferred to the UA online dept customer service and they were able to make the change..best of all didn't cost me nothing...definitely a happy camper now..btw can anyone tell me what LAX offers for FX passengers...do they have a lounge with any decent food...etc. etc.. >
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
^ for getting the change. Unfortunately, domestic non-PS F doesn't provide lounge access for most pax, save for some specific exceptions with *G's from programs other than UA/CO/US, IIRC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.