Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Web support now not allowing ecert on 2-pax itineraries?

Web support now not allowing ecert on 2-pax itineraries?

Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMF Rider
Ditto. Now you have me scared.
OP here.

Bwahahaha, the fare just got reloaded and I instacalled Web Support, and the agent was able to do this for me.

So to summarize, at around dinnertime today I tried 15 agents and got lucky on the 15th one, by which time the fare had been pulled.

Just before going to bed tonight, I checked and the fare had been reloaded, and I got lucky on the 16th agent I called. Approx 45 min total phone call time since some people he needed to check with were busy, but everything got taken care of in the end. Oh, and add to that an extra 40 minutes earlier today for the first 15 calls, and we're looking at close to 1.5 hours of my time.

I guess this won't be a problem once I run out of ecerts, since it looks like new UA compensation will be more aligned with CO's.

Also, I believe that there is no advantage is conferred by calling 1K desk and getting them to transfer you to web support, vs calling web support directly and inputting your MP number. (Some of my 16 calls today were thru 1K desk, others directly to web support)

Last edited by nigelloring; Jun 3, 2011 at 11:39 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, HH Diamond
3 pax, 3 ecerts

Did this yesterday (3 pax, 3 ecerts). 1K line said it was impossible even through web support. Called web support, the agent asked "why", and he ultimately did it after getting authorization from supervisor. Took nearly 1 hour on the phone ... at least it only took me one call to web support.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
this is a GS benefit (all elites can do at least one and does not have to be on same PNR). Only GS can do more than one on a separate PNR when travelling together.
I did two of these itineraries using $200 certs yesterday; both with a companion with no status. Web support told me they were happy to do this for a 1K 2MM flyer.

deek
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:40 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by deek
I did two of these itineraries using $200 certs yesterday; both with a companion with no status. Web support told me they were happy to do this for a 1K 2MM flyer.

deek
How do they know you are a 2 million mile flyer? Standard (Non-MP) agents don't see this as part of the display.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by fastair
How do they know you are a 2 million mile flyer? Standard (Non-MP) agents don't see this as part of the display.
he called web support...maybe that was the difference?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by karenkay

Donno - as soon as I discovered .bomb wouldn't book the reservations i called web support, punched in my MP # and ended up with a great agent in India. I never mentioned DYKWIA; he already knew I was 1K 2MM. The agent did remark on my high RDM balance so they obviously see a lot of information when you call web support.

deek

Last edited by deek; Jun 4, 2011 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deek

deek
what special was done? -- a single companion guest into E+ (on same PNR or seperate PNR) is standard for all elites.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by karenkay
Reservations agents in general can see ones status, provided MP number is entered when prompted on the phone, or calling the elite line from your system recognized phone number. Whenever I call web support or the times I purposely route my call to a ICC standard reservations agent (over 1P desk) they usually start the call by thanking me for being a "Valued Premier Executive Member."
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
what special was done? -- a single companion guest into E+ (on same PNR or seperate PNR) is standard for all elites.
Using e-certs for 2pax itineraries on one PNR; .bomb wouldn't cooperate.

deek
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
This is news to me. I didn't realize you could use e-certs and put two (or more) people on the same PNR. It does sound like a pain in the neck but it's worth it, I suppose, for UDU purposes.

Has anyone had success using VDB paper vouchers and having two people on the same PNR? For example, could I call the 1K line and say I'm using paper vouchers but to put the two reservations into one PNR, go down to the airport and get it ticketed?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by honmani2
This is news to me. I didn't realize you could use e-certs and put two (or more) people on the same PNR. It does sound like a pain in the neck but it's worth it, I suppose, for UDU purposes.

Has anyone had success using VDB paper vouchers and having two people on the same PNR? For example, could I call the 1K line and say I'm using paper vouchers but to put the two reservations into one PNR, go down to the airport and get it ticketed?
I did this about two weeks ago. Called the 1P line and placed a reservation on hold with two people on one PNR. Went to the airport (DCA) and redeemed $800 in vouchers when I ticketed. I should note that the vouchers were two sets of $400 in each of our names, but I did not mention this to the phone agent, and it didn't seem like it would've mattered.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
To the OP, may be your method could be refined a little. The first I found to be working runs like this -

1. Call the regular res line (or 1k line - if u have status) and make a res as usual, citing you have some paper voucher with which you will ticket the res on hold at an airport location.

2. Call web support to do the ticketing with ur eCerts (x2....x6 depending #pax and # of certs)

3. If the agent has no idea abt how to do / refuses, just politely excuse urself and make sure he doesn't do anything to the res, and call back.

I have done this many times for 2 pax for both eCerts and Paper certs.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I did this about two weeks ago. Called the 1P line and placed a reservation on hold with two people on one PNR. Went to the airport (DCA) and redeemed $800 in vouchers when I ticketed. I should note that the vouchers were two sets of $400 in each of our names, but I did not mention this to the phone agent, and it didn't seem like it would've mattered.
I also applied a VDB $400 voucher to a single PNR involving two passengers. The typical way of issuing the vouchers is 4 coupons valued at $100 each. The issuing agent at SFO was pleased to comply with my request to split the $400 equally among the two of us. (Applying 2 coupons to each passenger's ticket.)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:26 am

couple month ago i did 5 pax with 5 ecert on the same pnr
Old May 23, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
This thread hasn't seen any action in a while, but I just had fantastic success getting a "one time exception" in booking 3 PAX with 3 e-certs on a single PNR via web support. The call went something like:

Agent: Thank you for calling united, how may I help you?
Me: I'm trying to book a flight on the website for three passengers with 3 e-certs, but the website will only let me enter a single e-cert.
Agent: I'm sorry sir, you can only use one e-cert at a time. You will need to make a separate reservation for each passenger.
Me: Oh, I see. The problem is that one of the passengers is my 2yo daughter and the website will not let me book a flight for just her. Would it be possible for you to make a single reservation with me and my daughter on it, and then I'll go to the website to book my wife's ticket on a separate reservation?
Agent: I understand your issue. I will go ahead and make a one time exception and make the reservation for all three of you.
Me: Woohoo! (ok, more like "thank you", haha)

It took him about 10 minutes and a few holds, but we are all booked.

When it came time to give my CC#, I thought I would push my luck and ask about making a partial payment with a gift certificate (an actual gift card, not an e-cert). The GC says "Cannot be used in conjunction with an Electronic Travel Certificate", but I figured it can't hurt to ask. The agent seemed confused and said "but sir, I've already applied three e-certificates to this reservation and you only have three passengers". I explained that it was a GC not an e-cert. He put me on hold to call his support desk. He came back about 2 minutes later and informed me that the GC can only be used on the website, that his system had no place to enter it... Oh well, I still consider this to be the smoothest and most successful UA web support call I've ever had. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.