FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   If you ever wanted Jeff Smisek's email address... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1207727-if-you-ever-wanted-jeff-smiseks-email-address.html)

elcid3 Apr 20, 2011 5:43 pm

If you ever wanted Jeff Smisek's email address...

[email protected]

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011...mails.fortune/

why is it that the CEO can answer emails faster than customer service?

WineCountryUA Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Some of the other video's are also interesting

Making a successful airline merger

Spending $25,000 a minute on jet fuel

United's innovation: Fees

Originally Posted by elcid3 (Post 16253685)
...why is it that the CEO can answer emails faster than customer service?

well he forwards 99+% to Customer Care

Channel 9 Apr 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I just came over here to tell you all about the video, but you found it! pretty cool.

He actually has a decent sense of humor.

Noodle Apr 21, 2011 2:27 pm

thanks

I just sent an email regarding the new 120 qualification level - hope he responds

luv2ctheworld Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm

In the video, he stated that he will personally respond to customer emails if he finds it particularly compelling; majority of them are just customer gripes/issues (i.e. devaluation, poor service, etc.) go to the CS people.

I suspect if one writes a concise and articulated email that had valid issues or points that is beyond your normal CS canned reply, it may garner a response.

I have read some very well thought out and interesting points of views from our fellow FT'ers, and I think those kinds of posts would get a response.

TheBagman Apr 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 16253795)
well he forwards 99+% to Customer Care

I think he'd be more accurate to state that 100% of them go a secretary and <1% of those get forwarded to him instead of customer care.

sapguy Apr 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Very fascinating interviews, and I am very impressed with Jeff.

Thank you WineCountryUA for sharing the links.

While the jury is still out and I am not ready to applaud his work yet, I am willing to give Jeff the benefits of the doubt. I am not sure why so many people on FT dislike him, but to each its own :D

So far, however, I have been pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed, and the fact that my 75% of my flying in 2011 has been on UACO speaks for itself (the rest has been on Useless Air to get my mileage & EQM because it does not make any sense to fly anyone else for some of the destinations).

TimezoneCST Apr 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Good Vid. I liked his candor and honesty. He's nuts for giving out his email to 150m people but that's his problem now. :D:confused::eek:

PamT Apr 21, 2011 9:16 pm

I found it fascinating he referred to employees as co-workers, instead of placing himself above them as most CEO's do.

UNITED959 Apr 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 16259320)
I suspect if one writes a concise and articulated email that had valid issues or points that is beyond your normal CS canned reply, it may garner a response.

*May* is the key word here. Jeff is very good at telling people what they want to hear.

Originally Posted by TheBagman (Post 16260300)
I think he'd be more accurate to state that 100% of them go a secretary and <1% of those get forwarded to him instead of customer care.

This is spot on. I've written a few times about non-complaint issues and have received responses from folks a few levels down who had no clue how to answer my questions/comments. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by PamT (Post 16260531)
I found it fascinating he referred to employees as co-workers, instead of placing himself above them as most CEO's do.

Fascinating? Maybe. It does sound like he's a down to earth guy, but it ends there. Make no mistake, Jeff may give off this progressive CEO aura, but he does what he wants at the end of the day. Don't be fooled. Maybe a 1990 livery rings a bell.

toyotaboy95 Apr 22, 2011 4:31 am

Originally Posted by TheBagman (Post 16260300)

Previously, I wrote to his co.com email and I was really shocked when he replied personally on two different occasions. I had expected for a reply from "Executive Customer Relations" or something.

nycr Apr 22, 2011 6:39 am

wow, if they showed a clip of that on boarding instead of the changes you'll like crap, maybe everyone wouldn't think he a smug

cerealmarketer Apr 22, 2011 8:15 am

He does read and respond -- but I never write about personal issues -- only brief suggestions to broad issues or opportunities. Though in my work exchanges with CEOs are common so have practice keeping it clean and direct.

He's been forthcoming in giving a heads up that a particular suggestion is in the works.

I only do it on occasion, and his predecessor Kellner was also good about it.

Really hope people don't abuse the privilege and think carefully before writing the question "is this something that could improve things for a large number of flyers?"

PhlyingRPh Apr 22, 2011 9:25 am

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 16260394)
Very fascinating interviews, and I am very impressed with Jeff.

Thank you WineCountryUA for sharing the links.

While the jury is still out and I am not ready to applaud his work yet, I am willing to give Jeff the benefits of the doubt. I am not sure why so many people on FT dislike him, but to each its own :D

So far, however, I have been pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed, and the fact that my 75% of my flying in 2011 has been on UACO speaks for itself (the rest has been on Useless Air to get my mileage & EQM because it does not make any sense to fly anyone else for some of the destinations).

He appears to be doing what he feels is best for the company. That doesn't always coincide with what is best for each individual customer or group of customers. So, yes - I guess I'm quite impressed with him too - but wil continue to take the piss re/ his videos.

goalie Apr 22, 2011 9:38 am

Uncle Jeff (or one of his minions) does read his e-mail as I sent two to his UA e-mail address praising two UA employees and within 24 hours later I rec'd a response thanking me and telling me that the employees* would be contacted about my letter.

*both individual employees were named in his e-mail so somebody did read it