Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Starbucks coffee no longer served on UA as of 1-July-2011 [updated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: After UA replaced Starbucks, what's your opinion of the replacement coffee?
It's much better than Starbucks.
4.07%
It's somewhat better than Starbucks.
2.44%
It's about the same as Starbucks.
3.25%
It's somewhat poorer than Starbucks.
8.13%
It's much worse than Starbucks.
82.11%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Starbucks coffee no longer served on UA as of 1-July-2011 [updated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
Totally Bad Corp Decision. Understand UACO trying to make profit, but somethings and sometimes the customer's preference is the better corp decision.

Wonder if all the corp execs have even tried drinking the new stuff for 10+ hours?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jet Yi
Would expect to see Starbucks have another aviation partner (or partners) very soon now that their exclusive deal with UA has come to an end.

Likely candidates include Alaska and Jet Blue. Maybe even Delta who recently moved to Seattle's Best which is a Starbucks owned company.
I would actually expect Starbucks to not have a distribution agreement with an airline. It is nearly impossible to brew good coffee inflight. Even if decent, the coffee will taste different than the same beans brewed on the ground. Starbucks is pulling back on licensing agreements as it attempts to maintain/strengthen its premium brand. Seattle's Best, which is being positioned as a downmarket/accessible brand, is being pushed in its place. Both AS and DL now brew SBC and JetBlue is with DD. I don't expect any of those carriers to switch.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mintirish
I actually thought the coffee on UA was pretty decent. I hope the new stuff is on ok replacement, but I doubt it.
One of my co-workers on a CO flight commented that she liked the coffee. The FA said she was surprised and that most people don't think it's very good. Not a good sign.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jet Yi
Likely candidates include Alaska and Jet Blue.
JetBlue has a deal with Dunkin and I doubt they're inclined to change that given their focus on NYC/BOS customers and the DD fascination in the region.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG
It's disappointing that they are dumping Starbucks, but honestly I have never flown on an airline because of its coffee. But adding up all these little (and some very big changes), makes passenger start to look at other options
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Coffee not that good

Starbucks owns Seattle's best. Peet's is owned by a former Starbucks exec. One would think Starbucks would want to keep the logo on the airline.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: Too many
Now if they announced that the new coffee would be Tim Horton's, that would be a change I would like.

Every time I go to Ohio or Michigan I stock up!!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Wasn't ever really a fan of Starbucks or the UA Starbucks on flights. Now, if they were to put DunkinDonuts on board...

I don't see this as a big issue. Coffee in-flight, as many OPs have stated, is very different for scientific reasons. Changing of coffee vendors isn't necessarily the end of the world IMO.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mogulskiir
Now if they announced that the new coffee would be Tim Horton's, that would be a change I would like.

Every time I go to Ohio or Michigan I stock up!!
They have Tim Horton's in NewYork, including several in Manhattan.

I couldn't really care less what the coffee is, since I only drink coffee on airplanes with either Bailey's or Kahlua. I never really liked Starbucks anyway. Too bitter for my taste.

As for Freshbrew, hey - at least it's award-winning! Or Award Wanning, if you go by the URL...
http://www.freshbrewgroup.com/a-wanning-c/home-awc.asp
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Changing of coffee vendors isn't necessarily the end of the world IMO.
Changing from quality Starbucks to Houston's Worst Coffee isn't the end of the world
Boarding all elites together isn't the end of the world
Getting rid of fresh veggies and other RCC offerings isn't the end of the world
Getting rid of quality blankets and all pillows isn't the end of the world
Diminishing 1K benefits isn't the end of the world
Losing a famous livery isn't the end of the world

Add it all up and it starts to make for a worse flight / airline / loyalty experience though
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:48 pm

It’s airplane coffee, no matter what it’s going to be bad.

It’s roasted and ground months before brewing and is probably brewed closer to 160F than the correct 195F and is most likely made from unknown commodity beans regardless of whether it’s from Starbucks or any other vendor.

Now, if CO wants coffee from Houston they should just contract to Catalina Coffee/Amaya Roasting. I’d be willing to pay on-board for that.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by sprokofiev
It has been confirmed to UA crews that, effective July 1, something called 'Freshbrew' will replace Starbucks coffee.

Of note, there will no longer be brewed decaf - it will be instant. Regular will, however, continued to be brewed.

One can hope that 'Freshbrew' is better than the hot brown water currently offered by CO.
Don't count on it. Another change I am definitely not liking. More CO penny pinching.

I sure hope they don't try to serve instant decaf on F or C international. Nasty.

Originally Posted by Renard
Co is definitely not known for its coffee. I expect CO to kill the starbucks inflight.

CO used to serve Timothy's coffee I believe...isn't that from Canada/NE USA or something?
I called this back in April. I think the legacy CO food person is in charge of food at the new UA.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I don't see this as a big issue. Coffee in-flight, as many OPs have stated, is very different for scientific reasons. Changing of coffee vendors isn't necessarily the end of the world IMO.
It's not very feasible to serve beer with a perfect foam mix in a perfectly chilled mug

So a switch to old Milwaukee fleetwide and systemwide would be just fine right? No big deal?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Hachiko
Freshbrew is in fact, what CO uses these days. I'm UAX (former CoEx) and that's the stuff we have, it comes in little red bags. We've been seeing it on the UAX side for the better part of three months now.. I figured it was replacing the old stuff.
And what CO has today is rancid! While coming from the CO side, I always appreciated the UA had much, much better coffee. They're driving me to bring instant on board and order hot water....
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
JetBlue has a deal with Dunkin and I doubt they're inclined to change that given their focus on NYC/BOS customers and the DD fascination in the region.
yeah but is it the real thing or the watered down crap that most airlines serve because they are afraid of getting the pax too juiced up?

Does it really matter what they call it if it's the watered down crap?

I love DD coffee, it's good stuff.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.