Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United forcing to gate check a bag to destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forcing to gate check a bag to destination

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by karenkay
i knew there'd be space...so i stood in line with everyone else, pulled the gate check tag off once i was out of sight of the agent and boarded the plane with my bag.

as i boarded, i said to the flight attendant 'gate agent said i'd have to check this, but can we see if there's space?' there was PLENTY of space, and FA said 'no problem.'
Ooh, I like that tactic. I try to pack minimally and do whatever I can to board early (incl. OLCI as early as possible when I have no status) but it's good to know this is an option in a real pinch.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
No update .. what a bummer!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by neo_781
No update .. what a bummer!
Maybe his batteries ran low and the charger was in the carry-on - another reason not to let them gate check the bag!

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I'd like to know the dimensions, but regardless, on a MR, one should be packing stuff that fits under the seat in front of him.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
I'd like to know the dimensions, but regardless, on a MR, one should be packing stuff that fits under the seat in front of him.
I like bulkheads and would be inclined to stand in line early to stow the bag in the overhead, but see you point especially wrt MRs...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:21 am

The problem with the whole absolute authority of a UA employee with regards to carry-on (or not) baggage is that with the power comes the responsibility to use it for it's intended purpose.

As in the cockpit, emotional decisions have no place there.

FAB
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by freshairborne
The problem with the whole absolute authority of a UA employee with regards to carry-on (or not) baggage is that with the power comes the responsibility to use it for it's intended purpose.

As in the cockpit, emotional decisions have no place there.

FAB
^ roger that.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyborg
Maybe his batteries ran low and the charger was in the carry-on - another reason not to let them gate check the bag!

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Yup....phone died at the airport, couldnt update. My bag did in fact show up, which was a suprise. But i was thankful for that. Still the whole situation has been annoying, i realised after that i had been carrying my laptop bag around NAB in vegas and had taken my hard drives and stuck them in my carry on. And of course my i didnt think much of it till i was sitting on the plane, and thought......oh crap.....my 2TB of clients videos are about to get tossed around by the bag monkeys. Either way if it ever happens again, im either gonna just let them tag it then take the tag off at the end of the jetbridge, or try and find any excuse that could work to not let it be checked again.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
"I am sorry, that rollaboard contains an urn with the cremated remains of my wife. We're going to fullfil her last wish and sprinkle it into the waters of the Strait of San Juan de Fuca tomorrow, and I am sure you understand that I cannot let that bag out of my hands."
^

I was in the OP's shoes last January. Was making a domestic-to-international connection with a 100% compliant rollerboard. GA tells me I have to gate-check. I tell him I need the bag on my flight to LHR. He says no dice, has to go to LHR. After some back and forth, I play the DYKWIA card as gently as possible -- "Does it make any difference that I'm a 1K" -- and he relents, tagging it to ORD and telling me I need to pick up the bag at baggage claim then reclear security. Not a problem.

I usually am not in this position, given that I board early, but this was an irrops situation and I didn't get a BP until boarding was already underway. What irked me is that they allowed pax with multiple, large carryons to board without saying anything, then penalized later-boarding pax who followed the rules.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
This wasnt just a MR, i was in new york on work from april 6-10, vegas for NAB from 11-14, seattle till sat to visit family, then the last 3 days were just tagged on for a MR. There was other purpose for the trip and other stuff was needed than just a couple changes of clothes
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
"That's no problem, let me see your onward boarding passes or itinerary so we can check it..." That will usually show the person is lying and he will quickly surrender his bag as being a person of untruths. Once proven to be a liar, the fight is usually taken out of a person. Oh, and SU allows a total of 10kg for Y class passengers...your bag is too heavy to be carry on for them, so we will just check it to the gateway so you can reclaim it and check it in with them/pay the fees.
I think you're putting way too much faith in the mental capacity of the GA. In this scenario the GA already started with the "untruths" and lying:
The agent singled me out and insisted to check my bag to destination. After arguing uselessly she insisted there was no way my bag would miss my connection. So here I sit watching open bin space go unused and plethora of larger carryons being loaded.
So their should be no fight left in the "liar" GA at this point.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by as219
^

I usually am not in this position, given that I board early, but this was an irrops situation and I didn't get a BP until boarding was already underway. What irked me is that they allowed pax with multiple, large carryons to board without saying anything, then penalized later-boarding pax who followed the rules.
I was trying to standby on an earlier flight SFO-DEN a couple months ago and cleared while they were still boarding Group 1. The GA told me that all standby passengers were required to check their bag. I argued that there would be plenty of space as I was going to board immediately and they were still on group 1. She thought a while then said she would call me up later. Of course, I had to admit defeat and let her check my bag . It was either that or risk a seat in the last row of the plane, and still have my bag checked.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
I had this happen to me last summer, also out of LAS. I got to the red carpet just as she called for boarding group 2, and she insisted that all further bags be checked "to ensure an on-time departure" Needless to say, the overhead bins were very empty that day.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Originally Posted by mduell
I think you're putting way too much faith in the mental capacity of the GA. In this scenario the GA already started with the "untruths" and lying:
The agent singled me out and insisted to check my bag to destination. After arguing uselessly she insisted there was no way my bag would miss my connection. So here I sit watching open bin space go unused and plethora of larger carryons being loaded.
So their should be no fight left in the "liar" GA at this point.
+1. It's hard for me to fathom why anyone would defend the GA given the OP's facts. It doesn't even matter if the carryon was strictly legal, since people carry on grossly oversized bags without getting called out.

Maybe just put the carryon into the bin and then say "What do you think?" Or "I know you have to get the flight out on time but I'm not hanging you up".

This is definitely an outpoint in the way UACO operates. Gate check the 26" bags before you jerk someone around with a smaller bag, eh?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
once in in BOS, a bunch of 1Ks/GSs and other traveling in Int'l F on later legs boarded towards the end of the pack... the overhead bins were starting to get full, but not completely yet....

the GA suddenly starting asking all of us 1K/GS/IntlF-ers to all gate check... some of the Int'l Fers started to uproar, esp when one guy saw some Y folks stash their bag in F bins on the A319 flight and proceed to the back. lots of DYKWIA words thrown around - it was just ugly.

i didnt know that fate of all the upset folks, but i had to gate check even though i'm headed for some far off small airport in Europe (shoutout to anyone who knows GRZ!).... and of course when i get there, my bag isn't there and doesnt get found and delivered for 3 days.

got a nice 600 voucher, but still.... such a mess at that gate with that difficult GA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.