Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:31 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

I'm planning SFO-FRA and I'd love to fly on the new A380... but it looks like UA doesn't codeshare with that so I'd have to be on an LH ticket. I understand that I can get one of my SWUs converted to a paper cert and present it on the day of flight for LH to upgrade me, space permitting.

Here's my question: since the A380 has ~98 biz seats, is this a fairly safe bet? I would HATE (hate, hate, hate, HATE) to be stuck in LH coach all the way to FRA... and after having paid for the ticket to be in an upgradable fare class, too! (I'm also thinking that to help improve my odds, I have a few days' wiggle room with my travel plans, so I could pick the A380 flight that has the most empty biz seats.)

My other option is to forego the A380, book a simple UA upgradable fare, and get my SWU upgrade (which will at least likely clear before the date of travel).

What do y'all think? As a 1K, and with that many biz seats on the A380, do I have a shot?

Last edited by pnoeric; Mar 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm Reason: corrected number of biz seats
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I can't see LH selling out that many C seats during the summer (IIRC the A380 starts up in June or July), so upgrading should be likely under normal circumstances. However, since LH has embargoed award seats in F and C on its A380s, will it be permitting upgrades, UA certs or miles?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pnoeric
I'm planning SFO-FRA and I'd love to fly on the new A380... but it looks like UA doesn't codeshare with that so I'd have to be on an LH ticket. I understand that I can get one of my SWUs converted to a paper cert and present it on the day of flight for LH to upgrade me, space permitting.

Here's my question: since the A380 has ~98 biz seats, is this a fairly safe bet? I would HATE (hate, hate, hate, HATE) to be stuck in LH coach all the way to FRA... and after having paid for the ticket to be in an upgradable fare class, too! (I'm also thinking that to help improve my odds, I have a few days' wiggle room with my travel plans, so I could pick the A380 flight that has the most empty biz seats.)

My other option is to forego the A380, book a simple UA upgradable fare, and get my SWU upgrade (which will at least likely clear before the date of travel).

What do y'all think? As a 1K, and with that many biz seats on the A380, do I have a shot?
I think if you want to ensure a biz seat on the A380 you need to buy the seat or you are taking a gamble you will be sitting in LH coach - same day upgrades always carry risk - and don't forget about equipment changes - if your A380 is swapped out it may be an even more painful ride in coach.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I can't see LH selling out that many C seats during the summer (IIRC the A380 starts up in June or July), so upgrading should be likely under normal circumstances. However, since LH has embargoed award seats in F and C on its A380s, will it be permitting upgrades, UA certs or miles?
Not C, only F. And they simply do not release F award space so there is still the possibility for someone to get a C to F upgrade at the airport.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I used a SWU last month for FRA-JNB on an A380. 12 hrs before the flight there were about 10 seats still open in business...all the rest were full. Long story because I had issues with my ticket but mine cleared at the gate...I got second to last seat and a non-rev LH employee's girlfriend got the last seat right in front of me.

LH sells lots of business class tickets so it's definitely not a sure thing. I'd give it about 50/50 at best on the SFO-FRA route knowing that lots of UA 1K's in SFO are going to want to try the A380.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Other than the relative novelty of flying on an A380, I don't see the motivation for going out of your way to fly C on LH's A380. LH went cheap and stayed with the old, mid-90's slanted flat seats that make sleeping next to impossible as you slide down the 10-15% incline. I would fly UA C on the 744 any day over the LH A380 C. If you absolutely must fly on the A380, I would much rather take a chance at getting the upgrade on the westbound flight to SFO rather than waste a night of horrible sleep to patronize LH's terrible business class. And if your upgrade doesn't clear, have fun in coach -- ouch.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by joeljack

LH sells lots of business class tickets so it's definitely not a sure thing. I'd give it about 50/50 at best on the SFO-FRA route knowing that lots of UA 1K's in SFO are going to want to try the A380.
1.) I'm not sure that most 1Ks care that it's the 380 - if anything they'll probably want to stick to UA.

2.) I doubt many 1Ks know they can convert their SWUs for use on LH.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Other than the relative novelty of flying on an A380, I don't see the motivation for going out of your way to fly C on LH's A380. .
Agree. Last week I flew FRA-JNB-FRA on LH 380. I did First. Checked out the Business which was behind First, not worth it.
I would never fly LH in Coach or Business.

I used my UA SWU to upgrade FRA-JNB/ JNB-FRA from J to First. I had no issues both clearing in advance,was able to use the First Class Lounge in FRA. Since my J fare was under $3K RT.Great deal for First on 380.^

First on LH 380 is worth it.Fully Lie-Flat beds. First Class Bathrooms are awesome. Huge. Bigger than SQ 380 First Class Suite bathrooms
Old Mar 12, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I used my UA SWU to upgrade FRA-JNB/ JNB-FRA from J to First. I had no issues both clearing in advance,was able to use the First Class Lounge in FRA.
By clearing in advance, I assume you still mean standby on day of travel, right?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Other than the relative novelty of flying on an A380, I don't see the motivation for going out of your way to fly C on LH's A380. LH went cheap and stayed with the old, mid-90's slanted flat seats that make sleeping next to impossible as you slide down the 10-15% incline. I would fly UA C on the 744 any day over the LH A380 C. If you absolutely must fly on the A380, I would much rather take a chance at getting the upgrade on the westbound flight to SFO rather than waste a night of horrible sleep to patronize LH's terrible business class. And if your upgrade doesn't clear, have fun in coach -- ouch.
+1, with one caveat: if I have to fly Y, then LH's is definitely one of the best ones out there. Seats are relatively comfortable, and if you use OLCI 23h prior to take-off you'll get an emergency exit most of the time. So I wouldn't consider it the end of the world if they don't do upgrades on the A380 by then.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
I recently cleared JNB-FRA Y->C on a United paper SWU without an problem. I've done the same on LH 744s before and find it there are seats open in business a few days before the flight they generally don't fill up. The way I understand Miles and More, it doesn't seem like you are competing with many people the day of flight for the upgrade, aside from other UA 1Ks. As mentioned I would guess most 1Ks don't know about the paper SWUs on LH or don't bother to hassle with them.

Agree with the others though, The LH C on the 388 is the same as on the 744. I would choose the UA 744 business especially if you can confirm in advance.

Glad to here the F product is worth it though. ^
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by United757
1.) I'm not sure that most 1Ks care that it's the 380 - if anything they'll probably want to stick to UA.

2.) I doubt many 1Ks know they can convert their SWUs for use on LH.
Agree on both points. LH is one of the last carriers I would consider if I would go outside of my relationship with UA, and yes I am not impressed by SQ. Thai or ANA would be my first choice, Swiss and AUA next. AC would rank in between. No desire to get out of my way for an A380 unless it's in FC.
And, yes, I don't really understand and/or want to learn the intricacies of using a paper SWU, as long as it is not guaranteed.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Agree. Last week I flew FRA-JNB-FRA on LH 380. I did First. Checked out the Business which was behind First, not worth it.
I would never fly LH in Coach or Business.

I used my UA SWU to upgrade FRA-JNB/ JNB-FRA from J to First. I had no issues both clearing in advance,was able to use the First Class Lounge in FRA. Since my J fare was under $3K RT.Great deal for First on 380.^

First on LH 380 is worth it.Fully Lie-Flat beds. First Class Bathrooms are awesome. Huge. Bigger than SQ 380 First Class Suite bathrooms

How did you get the upgrade to clear in advance, using an UA instrument on a LH flight?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by ORD Punk
How did you get the upgrade to clear in advance, using an UA instrument on a LH flight?
UA flyers can request paper SWU for same-day airport upgrade request on LH flights (based on availability and upgrade queue).
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ORD Punk
A Star Alliance mileage upgrade is the only way to do it in advance (before the airport), but it appears the OP is defining "in advance" as "at checkin".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.